Build an airplane, take the A&P test

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
I was talking with the ATP & A&P across the apron from me and telling him I'd really enjoy taking the night classes and getting an A&P rating. He said another way is to build your own airplane, keeping a log and having your work regularly checked. When you are done, you can apply to take the A&P tests.

Anyone know anything about this?

I was talking with the ATP & A&P across the apron from me and telling him I'd really enjoy taking the night classes and getting an A&P rating. He said another way is to build your own airplane, keeping a log and having your work regularly checked. When you are done, you can apply to take the A&P tests.

Anyone know anything about this?

Not any more, used to be able to do it that way. The way it is written now, you can get a repairman certificate to do the condition inspection on the airplane. A&P not required for other maintenance.

Right now your options are a 147 school, not the cheapest, but easiest and quickest. or work with an A&P to meet the 30 months experience requirements.

IF

you are restoring a production built aircraft under the watchful eye of an A&P, and meet the time requirements.
keep an AMT log book document the retirements for the test.

Go for it. FSDO will buy it. Because there is nothing in the rules that say who's aircraft you must work on.

It's a long road to the ticket this way.

Go read http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch5,Sec2

There are specific documentation requirements, one of them being your time must be accounted for. See 5-1135

Thanks. Lots of time must be accounted for.

Looks like I could count at least a little of my Army time maintaining Pershing guided missiles and possibly the modification requests and approvals I got from my airplane manufacturer (that I did under the supervision of an A&P). Still leaves lots of hours. Would it be worthwhile to visit the local FDSO, talk to an examiner and try to come up with a plan to fill in the gaps or would it just be wasting everyone's time?

Thanks. Lots of time must be accounted for.

Looks like I could count at least a little of my Army time maintaining Pershing guided missiles and possibly the modification requests and approvals I got from my airplane manufacturer (that I did under the supervision of an A&P). Still leaves lots of hours. Would it be worthwhile to visit the local FDSO, talk to an examiner and try to come up with a plan to fill in the gaps or would it just be wasting everyone's time?

Yes. There is also a table that allows certain time fullfilments to be met with various military training and job specialties. Would be worth talking to an Inspector and setting up a plan.

Best of luck!

Is any credit given for things such as ASE certification or for someone with experience as a car mechanic/diesel mechanic/etc?

I believe a Repairman / Light Sport can also sign himself / herself off for the A&P test after some specified amount of time.

-Rich

Would it be worthwhile to visit the local FDSO, talk to an examiner and try to come up with a plan to fill in the gaps or would it just be wasting everyone's time?

You can never do a better job of wasting a government workers time than they can.

go see them. take every scrap of paper you think could get some tine.

Van's aircraft has a good deal.

Build their RV-14, it's E or S LSA, I forget. You get the airworthy cert, take the 16 hr LSA repairmen certificate course and you are good to go. For LSA repairs.

Van's aircraft has a good deal.

Build their RV-14, it's E or S LSA, I forget. You get the airworthy cert, take the 16 hr LSA repairmen certificate course and you are good to go. For LSA repairs.

I could do that right now with my S-LSA. Just have a DAR annual it and exchange the airworthiness cert for E-LSA. And take the 16 hr Light Sport inspection class if I want to do my own annuals. You don't even need that to do your own maintenance.

I want to be able to work on standard certificated aircraft.

Back