Bug Fix - Reputation

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
There was a bug by which it was possible to verify the identity of a person who left a reputation comment by ignoring the user and seeing if the comment disappeared.

This bug has been fixed.

Greebo said:
There was a bug by which it was possible to verify the identity of a person who left a reputation comment by ignoring the user and seeing if the comment disappeared.

This bug has been fixed.

Hey you closed the thread... :(

You should at least give your alter ego a bit of cheese sauce!

Missa

What thread. There is no thread, and I don't have an alter ego, and he certainly doesn't need cheese sauce!

Honest!

Greebo said:
What thread. There is no thread, and I don't have an alter ego, and he certainly doesn't need cheese sauce!

Honest!

Awww... you killed hime and he was so cute!

Joe Williams said:
Can't live long on just dried macaroni, I suppose.

Yup, it's hard on the teeth. Poor little guy living in the cupboard slowly wearing away what little teeth he has on dried macaroni... nothing left to try to gnaw his way out... :p

Missa

ah rats... someone gave me negative reputation, saying that my comment was intolerant and I want to know who that was. Their comment was very intolerant of my intolerance and I am not going to tolerate it!
Disclaimer: The above comments are completely and totally tongue in cheek! I don't take myself too seriously, and neither should you Edit: (take me too seriously, that is). If you do Edit: (take me too seriously, that is), then please seek out immediate medical attention!

Last edited:
I have two questions.

1) Why is the identity of a person hidden when they contribute to a person's reputation? It seems to me that, often times, anonymity tends to bring out the worst in people. Keeping the identity of the person leaving reputation points is like talking behind someone's back. If someone has something to say to me, good or bad, I'd appreciate them saying it to may face and not hiding behind the forum software.

2) Based on something I read in another post I understand that some people are allowed to contribute to a person's reputation while others are not. Could I ask why that is?

Jeannie

Jean, nobody sees your reputation but you. If a comment is truly abusive, we review it- but we do that for any comment written on this board. And we do have teeth. They do work.

I confess I haven't personally paid much attention to reputation. You have to go over a certain number of posts....but why would I care about reputation... if somebody is noncontributing and mostly denigrating, EVERYBODY HERE knows it already.

What we won't tolerate are personal attacks and abusive behavior. No-no.

Bruce (also a moderator)

bbchien said:
Jean, nobody sees your reputation but you.

Jean, just to clarify, your actual reputation in points isn't visible to the rest of the group except the moderators, but the range is represented by the size and color of the reputation "bar" by each message you post and another member can read the "reputation category" by putting their mouse cursor over your reputation bar.

And although you cannot see who affected your rep unless that person makes a comment with their name in it (I suppose someone could get dirty and spoof someone else in a negative rep comment), the SysOp (and probably the rest of the moderators) can see who increased or decreased anyone's reputation so there's little opportunity for abuse.

That said, I've not been able to get in the habit of passing out rep points, it's just too much bother for so little gain.

Ok, does the rep bar REALLY grow? I just went through all 12 pages of members and everyone has 1 square.

What are the cutoffs for level (I'm stuck at unknown), and when does it move to two squares??

(although, I kinda like being "unknown" rather than distinguished! LOL)

sshekels said:
Ok, does the rep bar REALLY grow? I just went through all 12 pages of members and everyone has 1 square.

What are the cutoffs for level (I'm stuck at unknown), and when does it move to two squares

I think it requires quite an increase to see in the bar. Part of the problem is that until the majority of posters get higher reps (believe it or not, just lurking will eventually increase your rep) the reps will increase verrrrrry sloooooowly because it takes rep to give rep. Ten years down the road some folks may be giving out enough at one pop to increase the bar length of the recipient, but today it's gonna take a looong time.

sshekels said:

What are the cutoffs for level (I'm stuck at unknown), and when does it move to two squares??

(although, I kinda like being "unknown" rather than distinguished! LOL)

I was almost famous until someone didn't like my opinions on SS and knocked me down a notch. Apparently, it does grow. I think it'll take a while before we see anyone with twenty little green squares, though.

Gratuitous Wonder Woman inserted here: :wonderwoman:

Details are in this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/showthread.php?t=57

I don't know for sure that the bar will grow but I think it will. However, if you sort the member list by reputation and hover the mouse over the icon, you'll see that even I only am at "will be famous soon enough". Reputation takes a long time to build. :)

Back