Buff Out Crazing On Canopy Any Suggestions?

sdpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kyle
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove the crazing in the attached picture. I've heard that it is possible to buff some light crazing out but not sure if this is possible. Any thoughts or ideas after looking at the pictures below?

Attachments

• crazing.JPG
    crazing.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I've used headlight restore kits sucscessfully on cessna greenhouse windows, i suppose it would work on the windshield but based on your photo i'd be scared of turning a little annoyanced into a big problem.

You can make some light scratches mostly go away. But as soon as you start on a deep scratch the window will get distorted. I'd rather have the scratch.

If it is truly crazed and not scratched, you will need to replace the windshield. Crazing is small cracks that go right through the windshield. A heavily crazed windshield is also weakened. A bird strike will be much more dangerous. And, remember, some light aircraft will not fly without a windshield.

Yup, crazing doesn't come out. Hazing, and some UV damage can be repaired because it's on the surface. Crazing is a tiny crack in the material. Live with it until you can't, then replace.

The guy in your link makes the same mistake most people make, they don't start with a low enough grit. Get two sheets of 1200, 3 sheets of 1500, and 3 sheets of 2000. Use plenty of water, and a slight amount of dish soap. Keep the surface wet all the time, use a bucket and back the paper with a firm sponge. Keep going and going and going until your arm hurts, then switch to the finer grit. Once you finish with 2000, use one of the polishing compounds. I like Novus, http://www.novuspolish.com/ but there are others like 3M. Here's where the orbital buffer will help a lot, and some micro-fiber cloth. Wipe it on, buff it off, wipe it on, buff it off, wipe it on, buff it off.

You'll get surface problems, but not the crazing.

As noted that's not crazing, they are scratches.

Everyone these days loves to use micro-fiber towels for just about everything, myself included but I would give one strong warning:

Store the towel in a plastic bag or other sterile environment between uses because micro-fiber towels are like velcro when it comes to foriegn material laying about. They will cling to and pick up anything they get close too including metal shavings and dirt. If you aren't diligent, the next time you use that towel you may have a nasty surprise lurking in wait.

Remember that the windows are plastic and whenever possible, prior to putting any rag or towel on them, you should flush the surface with water. I know that's not always possible but even carrying a water bottle helps to lengthen the life of your windows.

Get a Micromesh kit from Aircraft Spruce. If it can be repaired, it can be repaired with this.

Back