Buddy wants to buy an airplane any ideas?

Fixed gear PA32 is going to be his cheapest option, easiest transition, and within those specs meet the mission the best.

You are comparing the OP, who is still working towards a PPL, with pilot trainees who fly every day and are working towards a paid professional career in which most of them will never be without the benefit of another pilot in the cockpit. Seriously? LOL

So you can assess the aptitude of the OPs buddy relative to that of a KAL or JAL cadet from an Internet post. Seriously? LOL

The Bo is a fine airplane for the mission the OP has defined, no argument.

Then he should buy one.

I know a number of old geezers who bought exactly one plane in their aviation career, usually right after they got their private. You went to the dealer, picked out your color plane, paid and flew it away after the demo pilot showed you how to suck up the gear. They are all still alive, apparently they managed to dodge that evil spiral dive that the Bo immediately flips into once you divert your attention for a second.

It's not a fine airplane for the OP based on the experience level he defined, for all the reasons a number of people have posted here.

Which mostly amount to not more than prejudice.

The risk in ownership of a capable aircraft is mostly in the lack of judgement to keep you from flying yourself into situations beyond your skill. That's what the dad in the 210 that came apart in Alabama last week apparently did and what so many have done before him. You can be a weather chicken in a A36 just the same as in a 182.

It sounds like he has about 100hrs with some high performance and some complex experience. I would suggest that whatever he buys, he spend a couple of hours on VFR transition training immediately followed by an accelerated IR course. When I got into the Bo, the options by the insurance company were for 10, 15 and 25hr transition training, each of them with a price attached. If he opts for the immediate transition to the IR, he can can go for the cheaper insurance and extract double value out of his instrument lessons. Go some places, fly into some weather with the instructor on board, learn to fly trips 'in the system' beyond just grinding approaches at the DPEs favorite airport. He'll be a better pilot for it compared with bopping around in a 'safe' Dakota for two years.

Stuffing 250lbs in the front seat of a PA28 doesn't sound like fun. I am 6'3" and 210 and it gets borderline. I know, it can carry 4 adults and a chevy smallblock, but after 5hr trip cramped into a PA28 the wife will insist on airline tickets for herself next time. My wife otoh stretches out her legs on the opposing seat and passes out before we hit cruise. She wakes up when he hit the bumps on the approach. Life is too short for cramped planes.

And some of em are not alive. Who said PA28? I believe PA32 was the discussion both because it was bigger than the bo (much wider) and a more stable machine since the OP is low time and intending IMC flight....

He can make up his own mind and we are all free to give our reasoned opinions for *his* evaluation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you can assess the aptitude of the OPs buddy relative to that of a KAL or JAL cadet from an Internet post. Seriously? LOL

Silly me. How could I have possibly forgotten only a select few on this forum, including you, are capable of assessing a student pilot's aptitude (as well as experience and skill) and make unquestioningly valid recommendations.

I wish the OP's buddy every success in completing his PPL and agree with you completely...he should disregard everything else and follow what you advised in the rest of your post.

I'd take a look at the Cardinal again if your friend was impressed with the roominess. My 177B is fairly heavy and it will take 250/180 in the front, 100/100 in the back, 100 pounds in the cargo compartment and 30 gallons of gas. That's two hours at 75%, and one hour reserve. Really not adequate for the mission but doable. Instead, for $200k I'd be looking for a 177RG with a couple hundred more pounds carrying capacity, and with a turbo, its 175 knot cruise. He should be able to find a super nice 177RG for well under 100k, and I'm not sure how much a turbo model would be if he can find one, but I'm sure it would be well under his budget.

Never flown a PA-28, but it isn't in a 172. I'm 5'11 260 and my CFI is around 5'11 230.

Again unless I missed something no one was recommending a PA-28, lots of people were recommending various PA-32s. Very different...

Again unless I missed something no one was recommending a PA-28, lots of people were recommending various PA-32s. Very different...

That's obvious. Anybody that can climb into a PA-32 can fit in it. I fit fine in a 182, and it's the same width as an A-36

With that budget I'd go Lance. Preferably turbo.

With that budget I'd go Lance. Preferably turbo.
Yeah, but I wouldnt be able to get over the stupid looking cowling lol:
e83fe1bc6b91465fed987b32bd4892d6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 6' and 250# and I fit in my Archer okay. (PA28) I wouldn't call it comfortable, but it works. Luckily my wife is 5'6" and 130#. She usually reclines slightly. But for a family of 4, I'd go bigger.

As a wannabe pilot, I've been practicing W&B today for our 182P :)

For the OP, if he and his wife hop in the front, kids in back, 50lbs of stuff in the baggage area and 75gals and they are within 60lbs of MTOW. Now, if the combined weight of the kids is now 300lbs, then they are 38lbs ABOVE MTOW and outside the CG. If they fly with 68 gallons they are within 3lbs of MTOW and right on (but in) the CG envelope. I'm sure the engineers have a few more pounds of safety margin but I sure wouldn't do it. Now, giving up the 50lbs of luggage would help a lot but between tools, oil, etc and whatever they are carrying this would not be fun. So they could run at 60 gallons and have over 50lbs to spare and still in the CG (now near the top and moving closer to the right edge - getting more tail heavy).

Off the throttle a bit and leaned out you're still gonna be in the 10+ gallons per hour so leaving 1hr of fuel for safety, that would give 50 gallons for the trip and 4hrs+ flight time. Probably better to cruise faster at 12gal/hr and spend less time in the plane. A 182 is roomy but 2 adults and 2 older children will want a stop within 4hrs.

When selecting a plane for a family (of 3), we loved the roominess of the Cardinal and the large doors and even the look. But the useful load of the later 'B' models was not enough to warrant the price saved. The 182 isn't pretty, but definitely practical.

If I remember correctly the rear seat legroom in the Dakota is atrocious. 4 hour trip? Good luck.

He'll want a door on each side with a group that big. And those kids are only going to be 100 pounds until the next meal, and they are going to want to bring their golf clubs with them. He needs a big plane or needs to learn how to leave some fuel behind.
182 CG issues with two heavy in the front isn't as big of an issue as some make it out to be. Stick the max amount of your luggage in the back of the luggage compartment, don't have luggage? put a case of water bottles back there. CG instantly better.

At 625 miles, it may make sense to go with a 182RG over the 182, Its the difference between 4 hours and 4.5 hours which with 4 people makes a huge difference. Both planes have about 800 pounds full fuel payload and can make the leg nonstop at full forward speed. If he is serious about going all the way to 200k, a 210 is a good option too. But that may be something to consider at a later date when the kids are bigger.

182 with a 300HP engine is an option too.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the rear seat legroom in the Dakota is atrocious. 4 hour trip? Good luck.

The Dakota isn"t bad. No different from an Archer. Early 235s are cramped in the back.

Dakota has been suggested. That's a pa28.

The Dakota isn"t bad. No different from an Archer. Early 235s are cramped in the back.

All 235s are cramped in the back. The ones with a longer fuselage are the PA28-236's. And the extra length shows up mostly in the back seat legroom. Same as the PA28-180 Cherokee and the PA28-181 Archer. -Skip

He'll want a door on each side with a group that big. And those kids are only going to be 100 pounds until the next meal...
Owning a 182, strongly agree!

182 with a 300HP engine is an option too.
This seems like the ultimate 182 setup, especially if you purposely don't want retractable gear. When our engine is run out, hopefully this is still an option. IIRC, there was a great article about this conversion in the recent Cessna owner's mag, the extra power and cruise speed were impressive for a fixed gear configuration. And I never realized that he went back Continental instead of the bigger Lycoming.

Like myself He likes to take off with full tanks every time he makes a stop.
Show me as another for the Saratoga. Gives him options of older or newer and retract or fixed.

I'm not sure about the take off with full tanks comment though. When people move away from training planes that typically comes to an end. Most advanced planes have large tanks to allow the pilot to play with useful load as needed.

Show me as another for the Saratoga. Gives him options of older or newer and retract or fixed.

I'm not sure about the take off with full tanks comment though. When people move away from training planes that typically comes to an end. Most advanced planes have large tanks to allow the pilot to play with useful load as needed.
The toga holds 102 gallons useful and burns 14 to 16 GPH. So that is 6 hrs with reserves. It come with a really useful site glass on each wing that indicates the 35 gallon mark (the tanks system does not allow for tabs or dipsticks). So for most missions you carry 70 gallons, which is 4 hrs with reserves. With that much fuel, you can get about 900 lbs in the cabin for most planes.

At max gross the plane is with OK taking off, mainly because it feels and handles like a heavy plane regardless. It rotates reliably at about 70, but at max takes a bit to get there. Will climb out comfortably 95 to 100. In the non turbo versions density altitude can become an issue. I have only personally flown the low lands.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A Bo is more narrow, but if his wife sits in the back, I don't think he'd find it uncomfortable.

He just needs to sit in the different types and see what he likes.

I am surprised everyone is saying a Bo is narrow. I am 5-11 and 210 lbs. flew with a buddy on a long cross country, albeit he is smaller than me, and I thought there was plenty of shoulder room up front. Especially with the arm rest between the front seats pulled up.

Check the specs... it's on the narrow side...

I am surprised everyone is saying a Bo is narrow. I am 5-11 and 210 lbs. flew with a buddy on a long cross country, albeit he is smaller than me, and I thought there was plenty of shoulder room up front. Especially with the arm rest between the front seats pulled up.
It depends a bit on your perspective and what you have to compare it with. Yes, two adults will fit side by side in a Bo or Baron. If that is all you know, you would probably think it's fine/normal.

Now go sit in the front of a PA32 and tell me the Bo isn't noticeably narrower.

Now go sit in the front of a PA32 and tell me the Bo isn't noticeably narrower.

No doubt, the PA32 is wider. One of the benefits of the wide cabin is that someone who is flexible can climb from the back into the front seat and reverse or get through the gap in the middle row seats. You are paying for it with higher drag.
Another very useful feature on the PA32 is the nose baggage compartment. Depending on W&B, this can be a good place for bulky items like tents or sleeping bags. It does get a bit toasty there, so its not the place you want to use to transport fresh fish.

I just wanted to update you guys. He purchased a Beechcraft Bonanza F33A. He is going to show it to me next Saturday, I'm going to meet up with him in Cedar Key, excited to see it!

I just wanted to update you guys. He purchased a Beechcraft Bonanza F33A. He is going to show it to me next Saturday, I'm going to meet up with him in Cedar Key, excited to see it!

Nice. I really want to fly one of those.

Man! You guys pushing the fuel and endurance envelope. My fuel flow is within .3 of a gallon in accuracy, and often indicates near 6 hour endurance when in cruise, leaned and dialed back a little. I had an airline pilot trying to sell me his Tiger with an additional tank in the cargo area that cranked his up to 10 hours. Does anyone REALLY want to be on board without a bathroom for any length of time above 4 hours?

Man! You guys pushing the fuel and endurance envelope. My fuel flow is within .3 of a gallon in accuracy, and often indicates near 6 hour endurance when in cruise, leaned and dialed back a little. I had an airline pilot trying to sell me his Tiger with an additional tank in the cargo area that cranked his up to 10 hours. Does anyone REALLY want to be on board without a bathroom for any length of time above 4 hours?
I personally never plan on any leg being longer than 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. That is my bladder limit, and if I have passengers I am not peeing into a bottle.

I personally never plan on any leg being longer than 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. That is my bladder limit, and if I have passengers I am not peeing into a bottle.

I'm the opposite. Fuel stops suck...

Back