Bruce Treadmill Stress Test

U

Unregistered

Outlined below is the Bruce Treadmill Stress Test. I'm 50, so my Target heart rate is 220-50=170. What happens if I hit that rate 1/2 way thru the test ? Are you allowed to pace yourself ?

My personal physican wants me to do a treadmill test on my next physical for a baseline, this is the reason I'm asking about treadmill tests. So far, I don't have any symptoms that I'm aware of, but my family history isn't all that good for cornary health. All my resting EKGs have been fine.

I've been thinking about using this conditioning strategy from http://www.leftseat.com/tmst.htm.

Any comments or ideas for a middle-ager ? Thanks !

----------------------------------------------
Bruce and Modified Bruce
Treadmill Stress Test Protocols

The Standard Bruce exercise test protocol requires a change in speed and grade every 3 minutes. The incremental increases of work are 2-3 Metabolic Workloads (METs) greater for each stage.

The test begins with a 10% incline/grade and 1.7mph pace.
After 3 minutes, the grade increases to 12% and the speed to 2.5mph. The workloads increase every 3 minutes unless arrhythmias or symptoms preclude continuance or until one reaches a predetermined endpoint such as Target Heart Rate or Stage Goal.

Stage 1
1.7mph
10%grade

Stage 2
2.5mph
12%grade

Stage 3
3.4mph
14%grade

Stage 4
4.2mph
16%grade

Stage 5
5.0mph
18%grade

Stage 6
5.5mph
20%grade

Stage 7
6.0mph
22%grade

The Modified Bruce protocol starts at a lower workload than the Standard Bruce, and is typically used for patients who are deconditioned and/or post MI, whose history suggests symptoms at a low workload, and for elderly or sedentary patients who may not be able to keep pace with the faster Standard Bruce protocol.

Stages 1 and 2 of the Modified Bruce are performed at 2.9 and 3.7 METS and the third Stage corresponds to the first Stage of the Bruce protocol. Thus, the person who does 9 minutes in the Modified protocol does the same workload as 3 minutes on the Bruce; 12 minutes on the Modified is the same as 6 minutes on the Standard Bruce.

Unregistered said:
I've been thinking about using this conditioning strategy from http://www.leftseat.com/tmst.htm.Any comments or ideas for a middle-ager ? Thanks !
METS are a measure of oxygen consumption. 3 METS is the same as sitting in a chair. FAA does not recognize the "modified" protocol. You can do that but in that instance you have to go to stage 5 to get the same time rate of oxygen consumption at the max. If you max out early, the modified protocol is a net negative for you.

From a certification point of view, never ever get an extra test. The AOPA region 5 rep just found that out.

If you insist on doing this, be prepared to deal with the consequences. I would rather you'd control you weight, exercise regularly to get your resting heart rate down below 60, and control your cholesterol/HDL.

Last edited:
A year or so ago I found myself wondering something similar. My Doc hasn't requested me to do another treadmill since the first one in 1996 (wasn't a pilot then). Since becoming a pilot, I've lost nearly 40lbs.

My family history of heart disease, stroke, heart attack keeps me paranoid. My father was asymptomatic until his 5-way bypass. I often wonder if early detection might have spared him from the silent heart attacks and kept him from the surgeons table.

For now, I'm avoiding any early detection tests. Flying is just too much fun! :)

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back