Brown airport crash kills five

Blueangel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
Very sad news here in San Diego:

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/08/17/...among-dead-in-mid-air-crash-near-brown-field/

Worse still the Cessna 172 involved in the fatal crash that was doing touch and goes was a Plus One Flyers aircraft that I rent from in San Diego!

What is weird is the right wings only touched causing the fatal crash between the Cessna and the Sabre jet. Now I know why people don't like touch and goes.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/08/17/...among-dead-in-mid-air-crash-near-brown-field/

Worse still the Cessna 172 involved in the fatal crash that was doing touch and goes was a Plus One Flyers aircraft that I rent from in San Diego!

What is weird is the right wings only touched causing the fatal crash between the Cessna and the Sabre jet. Now I know why people don't like touch and goes.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85030

I don't believe touch and goes had anything to do with it. Tower was in operation and for some unknown reason, it appears that he was doing right traffic to 26L and on an extended downwind. It looks like the sabreliner was coming into 26R and was above and behind him.

Really have no other details. I assume you got Shane's email last night? I know a couple guys on the Board and right now, nobody is talking, but that is likely because there are still a lot of unknowns.

..... it appears that he was doing right traffic to 26L and on an extended downwind. It looks like the sabreliner was coming into 26R and was above and behind him.

So they were both on downwind? I've been trying to figure this all out in my head, but I'm a bit confused on where each plane was and what direction they were traveling.

So they were both on downwind? I've been trying to figure this all out in my head, but I'm a bit confused on where each plane was and what direction they were traveling.
I believe the collision happened on base or around the base to final turn.

Based on the radar track I saw (I'd link to it, but you can't access it without a BeechTalk account), it shows the 172 on an extended right downwind at 1300'.

The aircraft I believe is the Sabreliner (squawking 4644) is just starting to turn right base toward the 172 from an altitude of 1800'. The Sabreliner arrived on a wide downwind just south of the Poggi VOR.

The radar feed stops there- Sabreliner in the turn to base and 172 not turning base yet. Sabreliner is 500' above and I assume descending, probably 1.5 to 2 miles behind the 172. Sabreliner should have been able to see the 172 while they were both on downwind, but probably could not see him when they turned base.

What I don't understand is what the 172 was doing that far downwind and what tower was doing through all this.

Edit: I just looked at it again. There may have been another aircraft on final for 26L coming up from the border. If that is true, tower may have had him on the extended downwind for spacing. I REALLY wish we had a feed for Brown tower.

Last edited:
The scary and ironic thing is that the exact Cessna in the crash was the one I rented a week before and I even was flying and landing at Brown field! It gives me chills down my spine when I think about it that it could have been me instead of the other poor souls.

The scary and ironic thing is that the exact Cessna in the crash was the one I rented a week before and I even was flying and landing at Brown field! It gives me chills down my spine when I think about it that it could have been me instead of the other poor souls.

Did that specific Cessna airframe cause the accident? The way your comment reads it's as if you think flying that particular airframe would be a problem...as opposed to being in the wrong place at the wrong time which in that case it wouldn't matter which aircraft you were in.

I've experienced several near hits but never did I think it was the specific aircraft which nearly brought my doom in those instances.

I don't think so since the plane was squawk free the day I flew it. My reference was that I was lucky to not be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back