Broiling

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Anyone ever use the broil setting on their oven? I have no idea what it's for. Thought I could use it as a makeshift toaster tonight but that didn't work so well.

I also just discovered we have an electronic warming drawer. I noticed the electronics on it tonight. I do all the cooking, just thought it was a drawer to keep cookie sheets and my cast iron skillet in. :D never knew such a thing existed.

Broiler, cook steak under it, think of it as an upside down grill.. Brown nachos and garlic bread under it too.

I broil fish all the time - fast way to cool them. Put the rack as close as possible.

Broil is BBQ for housewives. Seriously it is a useful way to cook. Get some steak and try it out.

A good steak is broiled about 4 minutes on both sides. You'll find most are high temp, 500 degrees or up. Sears the outside while keeping the inside cool, red, and juicy.
CAUTION: Check oven before turning on. Sister in law lost a flock of tupperware that way.

Oh, and most oven manufacturers have you broil with the oven door open to the first stop.

Warming drawers are great for warming plates. I can't stand hot food on cold plates. The dishes hold beast for a long time. Help keeps food warm.

When you want a point source for heat (versus lots and lots of hot air). Great for browning anything, including quite a number of vegetarian dishes. Warming drawers are great for warming plates, and keep crepes, pancakes, waffles and other dishes hot until service. We use both broiler and drawer infrequently, but we like them when we do.

I thought convection was just a gizmo, but boy is it useful.

I've used the broiler as a grill when the wx was too bad to cook outside.

A couple quick ideas:

Toss some shrimp with a little olive oil and a lot of Old Bay. Broil about 2:30 on each side. Peel and eat. Makes a quick snack or shrimp cocktail.

Thick slice some Italian bread. Broil about a minute to toast - one side or both, your choice. Rub the cut side of a half garlic clove on the toast. Drizzle or brush with olive oil. Optional: make a spread with chopped fresh tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and S&P. Spread on the garlic toast.

I've used the broiler before, and I "get" broiling, but I like to use the oven instead, top rack, high heat. No need to flip generally.

If I have a steak to cook and I'm not grilling it, I'm going to pan fry it instead anyway.

When you do figure it out, you'll find out why it's rarely used. Makes a fair amount of smoke(oven door cracked), mess, and if not used right, will char a decent piece of meat pretty fast.

Keep an eye on what your broiling cause it can go from good to bad rather quick.

k is next to l on the keyboard...

Well, duh, I knew how the typo likely occurred (assuming a qwerty keyboard). But it was still a funny typo.

Every single summer!!!!
This will be the summer I get a plumbed gas grill.

I have two 100# tanks with an automatic switchover regulator. When one tank empties it automatically switches over. Each tank lasts me about 4 months so I have 4 months to remember to call to have another one delivered. This costs more to set up but it has saved me quite a bit over the years and I have NEVER run out of gas since switching to this system (around 12 years ago).

By the way, this thread reminded me to call for a new one. The whole call lasted about a minute and now I don't have to unhook a tank with a little gas and haul it to the refill station.

Every single summer!!!!
This will be the summer I get a plumbed gas grill.

Get a reserve tank.

I think plumbing into your house NG instead of a tank of LP requires a different dize orifice to get the proper mixture. Just something to keep in mind.

Get a reserve tank.

I think plumbing into your house NG instead of a tank of LP requires a different dize orifice to get the proper mixture. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm on propane. I just had to make sure where I tapped into the pipes was downwind of the pressure regulator.

I'm on propane. I just had to make sure where I tapped into the pipes was downwind of the pressure regulator.

Ok.

My old neighbor works for our local gas co. First thing he did when he moved in was run a line from his house NG to his grill. I've thought about how handy that woukd be, but I move my grill around too much.

Mmm...rib eye.

I generally don't add oil to a rib eye (like that recipe calls for), just salt and pepper. Rib eye steaks have enough marbling they take care of themselves.

I believe he's only using it as a way to increase browning since the meat isn't hot enough to melt fat at that point.

Ok.

My old neighbor works for our local gas co. First thing he did when he moved in was run a line from his house NG to his grill. I've thought about how handy that woukd be, but I move my grill around too much.

I just couldn't justify lugging the tanks back and forth from the convenience store when there's a huge propane tank 20' from the grill. It's about 35 seconds with a wrench to convert it back if I want to move it. But umm local code says the grill has to be mounted to the ground and yeah I did that. :D

Ng might be a little more problematic.

Ok.

I am going to do it. I need a new grill and this would be a good opportunity to get a nicer setup.

I did buy a backup propane tank and all it did was delay the time of year when I run out halfway through cooking. The 1st tank running out never prompted me go get the backup refilled.

I am going to do it. I need a new grill and this would be a good opportunity to get a nicer setup.

I did buy a backup propane tank and all it did was delay the time of year when I run out halfway through cooking. The 1st tank running out never prompted me go get the backup refilled.

Oh boy. I hope you don't manage your two wing tanks the same way. :hairraise:

Oh boy. I hope you don't manage your two wing tanks the same way. :hairraise:

That's how I roll, too.

Back