Brightline bags - B4/B7 = B6/B10??

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
What's up with Brightline bags? Did someone upgrade planes there and have an extra payment? :goofy:

I first researched these a year or so ago. About ready to buy one, and now they have the B4 and B7 bags, which appears to replace the B6 and B10 bags. They look the same, appear to have the same size/compartments but for an extra ~$40. Why?

Their website isn't very good at explaining where the extra $40 goes and what it's for. It seems like the B10 is a great bag, not sure what I get by spending the extra money on the B7 bag.

Anyone know? :dunno:

Ok. Opened up a few windows on my desktop and compared. They new versions are slightly bigger and have more stuff. It's hard to compare on a tablet.

I don't know anyone who carries a brightline bag. A backpack works just as well for 1/3rd the cost

I don't know anyone who carries a brightline bag. A backpack works just as well for 1/3rd the cost
I do and I'm really happy with it. Not sure I'd have bought it myself, but it was a gift, and a very useful one.

My is the same as Jim R. Commented to wife that they were neat; received components for birthday (or maybe it was Christmas)

Use the B2 and some end panels a my computer bag/briefcase every day.

Love my brightline. Lots of storage. Sturdy. Bought it used on eBay.

I tried multiple backpacks over 20 years....was never satisfied til I bought my Brightline. Peace and contentment has reigned ever since. :D

I just brought the B2 version off of Amazon. A little bit cheaper and I can upgrade piece by piece as necessary.

Also, FWIW, told the owner at Sun n Fun I lost a zipper pull and one handle that used C clips lost a clip, he gave me a new pull (of the right color) and two of the new design devices that replaced those c clips (for free). I then bought a couple of the side pockets...

I had an original Brightline and do like it, but I was a bit miffed when they redesigned the zippers and made the newer bags completely non-backward compatible with the old, and didn't even offer a discount on upgrading.

They basically stiffed their original customers that took a chance on them, back when they were a one-man show with a web video trying to explain how nifty the design was. At the point they re-designed, they'd made plenty of profit to offer a reasonable discount to original bag customers, I'm guessing.

So... when/if this one dies (and I've never really seen a bag of this quality truly die, so I will give them that, but I have seen the zippers come apart and plastic stuff break off over time...) instead of an automatic "whip out the wallet and buy another one", I'll be shopping.

They might still win the comparison shopping, but I'll think hard about handing them money again. I really like the bag. The company, I'm not so sure of.

They aren't David Clark, that's for sure.

I bought an original from IMCCLUBS.org. It has their (club) logo on it. I love and hate the bag all at the same time. Obviously, I cannot use any parts from the new bag and there really is too many places to put things such that I've "lost" things and only found them right after replacing them (the XM weather puck being one).
On the good side, the two large pockets hole charts, paper, and kneepads, two headsets, side pocket holds a couple of mimi Mags, fuel tester, and radio, and dont forget the pocket with the puke bags! It fits nicely behind the pilot's seat.
Prior to the brightline bag, I had used a leather messenger bag from Kenneth Cole which someone gave me for Christmas. Both have lasted far longer than the backpacks or other briefcases I've used.

Love my B10. Occasionally I "lose" things in there, but never anything critical :)

I had an original Brightline and do like it, but I was a bit miffed when they redesigned the zippers and made the newer bags completely non-backward compatible with the old, and didn't even offer a discount on upgrading.

They basically stiffed their original customers that took a chance on them, back when they were a one-man show with a web video trying to explain how nifty the design was. At the point they re-designed, they'd made plenty of profit to offer a reasonable discount to original bag customers, I'm guessing.

So... when/if this one dies (and I've never really seen a bag of this quality truly die, so I will give them that, but I have seen the zippers come apart and plastic stuff break off over time...) instead of an automatic "whip out the wallet and buy another one", I'll be shopping.

They might still win the comparison shopping, but I'll think hard about handing them money again. I really like the bag. The company, I'm not so sure of.

They aren't David Clark, that's for sure.

+1 - you took the words right out of my mouth. I was one of the first too.

Dude, you're a pro now. You need to lug a big heavy case full of charts of the world. No one can take you seriously if you have a backpack. :D

Last edited:
Back