Bridging the Gap

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Heading west, just before sunset.
The fort at the left end of the middle bridge was built in 1754 during the French and Indian War.

HR

Attachments

• DSC06494 (1 L).JPG
    DSC06494 (1 L).JPG
    4 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Nice photo,staying in fla. However.

I believe the railroad bridge is gone. How old is this picture?
Your are looking south, down river.

Ft Western, one of Benedict Arnold's stops on his way up the Kennebec to attack Quebec during the revolutionary war.

Bill: Photo was from August 18, 2014. We were returning from photography mission for Maine Island Trail Association; had done the Islesboro, Vinalhaven, surrounding areas of Penobscot Bay. We were minutes away from landing at Augusta to drop off my island spotter. The actual image from which I created the above version can be seen below(though I'll probably get keel-hauled for posting its size). Right click and Open in another window. In it, YOU can pinpoint the old Cony High School location, the large motel at "Cony Circle," Togus Veterans' Hospital(upper center left), "French-town"(bottom center), Water Street, the Maine State Liquor Commission, State Capitol and Offices complex and others. The airport is Stonington.

HR
[EDIT:] The airport aerial should have been in the #2 position. ???

Attachments

• DSC06494.JPG
    16.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC06553.JPG
    DSC06553.JPG
    9.3 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC06556.JPG
    DSC06556.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Bill: Heading out from you know where.

HR

Attachments

• DSC06493.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 11
Bill: Photo was from August 18, 2014. We were returning from photography mission for Maine Island Trail Association; had done the Islesboro, Vinalhaven, surrounding areas of Penobscot Bay. We were minutes away from landing at Augusta to drop off my island spotter. The actual image from which I created the above version can be seen below(though I'll probably get keel-hauled for posting its size). Right click and Open in another window. In it, YOU can pinpoint the old Cony High School location, the large motel at "Cony Circle," Togus Veterans' Hospital(upper center left), "French-town"(bottom center), Water Street, the Maine State Liquor Commission, State Capitol and Offices complex and others. The airport is Stonington.

HR
[EDIT:] The airport aerial should have been in the #2 position. ???

Thanks, so the RR bridge is still there. They took the dam just up river from the bridge years ago. That is not Togus, that is the old state mental hospital. Togus is about 15-20 miles east of the river on the road to Rockland. My Dad worked at Togus in the 70s.

Roger on Cony Circle, there was a fight to keep the old high school building for architectural historical reasons.

Back