Brer Fox comes to visit

Oh, it's nice to see a red fox again, even in a picture! I used to have to compete with them for pheasants when I lived in NJ, but there was enough for everyone. :)

terry

They can be very malicious. One used to torment my son's dog that was on a chain in the yard including crapping in his food bowl.

terzap said:
Oh, it's nice to see a red fox again, even in a picture! I used to have to compete with them for pheasants when I lived in NJ, but there was enough for everyone. :)

terry
You want Pheasants? Come to my house during season. Accross the street all the hunters line up to try and get the birds. Instead all the birds come accross the street and sit in my front yard and eat from my bird feeders. Drives the hunters nuts and is pretty funny. Smart birds!!

I have gone outside and have hand fed them and petted them. They seem to know I won't kill them, but they do leave a lot of poop around, mostly in the lawn though.

Remonds me of when my roommate when goose hunting and only got two birds. We lived on a lake and had three flocks of geese outside our living room window. He kept walking around with his shot gun mumbling and threating to open a window and start blasting.

Last edited:
There's a whole bunch of foxes in the big park about 500ft from here. I see them about once a month when going out to the car in the early morning as they're retreating back to the safety of the park. I've had deer walking past my balcony occasionally as well. Mountain lions have been seen in the park on rare occasion.

Animals good. People bad.

There's a group of red foxes that live in a small wooded area adjacent to our neighborhood golf course. They appear both curious about and wary of, the humans that scurry about the area. I enjoy seeing them on occasion.

Frank Browne said:
There's a group of red foxes that live in a small wooded area adjacent to our neighborhood golf course. They appear both curious about and wary of, the humans that scurry about the area. I enjoy seeing them on occasion.

We spotted a fox running across the runway at the airport.

Bob, ironically I saw a red fox in my neigbors front yard on the way to work today looked like a female. I always believed that foxes were nocturnal animals and only came out in the day if they were sick or chased by a pack of hounds and englishmen wearing jack boots tights and those blinding red jackets.

I thought that if a fox was out in day light there was a decent chance it was sick or rabid. The fox just stared me down in my car not 30 feet away. No fear.

AdamZ said:
Bob, ironically I saw a red fox in my neigbors front yard on the way to work today looked like a female. I always believed that foxes were nocturnal animals and only came out in the day if they were sick or chased by a pack of hounds and englishmen wearing jack boots tights and those blinding red jackets.

I thought that if a fox was out in day light there was a decent chance it was sick or rabid. The fox just stared me down in my car not 30 feet away. No fear.
There's some myth to that, Adam ;)

In Chester County, I've seen lots of foxes during the day. It's somewhat unusual but not necessarily abnormal to see racoons in the daytime as well.

There's a pair of foxes who hang around N99 :yes:

RotaryWingBob said:
There's some myth to that, Adam ;)

In Chester County, I've seen lots of foxes during the day. It's somewhat unusual but not necessarily abnormal to see racoons in the daytime as well.

There's a pair of foxes who hang around N99 :yes:

There's a family of them living in a den in the middle of McCall ID (MYL) as well. They just sit or scuffle around while run-ups are going on. Haven't seen any carcasses yet. A local A&P said they were never like that, so friendly & all, when the bounty on their heads & hides was in effect about 20 years ago!

The fox in the PIX looks like a grey-red hybrid.

Bobby Day said:
They can be very malicious. One used to torment my son's dog that was on a chain in the yard including crapping in his food bowl.

that isn't malicious, that's a cruel sense of humor!

woodstock said:
that isn't malicious, that's a cruel sense of humor!

I dunno... to a canine species known to voluntarily relish in eating its own vomitus?

brer_fox_big.jpg

looks like his twin, BOB here is the orig

Back