Brennand Airport (79C) - New Owner, No Fees, Come Have Fun

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Brennand Airport (79C) is an alternate EAA AirVenture destination a short distance north of Oshkosh.

2014 will be one of the most exciting years in the airport's history! The airport is undergoing a major transformation that began in 2013. Our short 2,450-ft runway has not been lengthened - sorry! - but it has been repaved, repainted, widened to 30', and re-lit with new, bright three-step lighting and PAPIs. The grass on the whole airport was torn up last fall and redone. Once it fills in this year, we should have a parallel grass runway.

Under new ownership, a beautiful new facility is being constructed with completion expected in spring 2014. The building features public restrooms, showers, a huge kitchen space with appliances, lounge, air conditioning, a very large hangar, large second-floor observation deck, etc. I believe that a washer/dryer will be going in also. There is a "surprise" inside that already has heads turning. More on that later. There will also be another "surprise" outside. Sorry, I have to keep you guessing for now!

There is a gorgeous brand-new 16-passenger shuttle bus (with entertainment system!) that will be used to take people back and forth from the show grounds, and we also have other people willing to give rides in personal vehicles. Transportation will not be a problem if you fly in for the show.

Camping will be FREE... yes, FREE... No landing, parking, camping, or tiedown fees of any kind this year. Free will donations accepted of course, but we want to encourage everyone to give 79C a try. You can camp by your plane. We have also created space behind the hangars where there will be permanent partially shaded campsites, a bonfire ring, and picnic tables. We are considering bringing in food if there is enough interest.

Also note, the Saturday before AirVenture, on July 26th, the EAA Chapter at Brennand Airport is hosting its annual fly-in. It runs from about 10 AM to 2 PM, and we would very much like to see you there.

If you are interested in overnight parking and/or camping, please call Keith at (920) 376-0064 and add yourself to the list, or let me know right here in this thread. We expect more traffic this year, and we want to be prepared for you.

I plan to be around, as this is my home base airport and personal obsession. :) I will update this thread with more info as EAA 2014 approaches, and will also keep our new web site up to date. I will post pictures of the facility once it gets further along.

Please see http://www.brennandairport.com for more info.

Very cool! I had to chuckle at the "widened to 30 feet" though. ;)

(Previous owner used to refer to it as a "90-foot-wide runway with a 20-foot-wide paved centerline. :rofl:)

Sounds very nice. Its nice and refreshing to see an airport make such improvements. It seems like some airports are increasing fees and/or reducing niceties.

Look out when 10,000 pilots show up. Suckers for the word "free".

Cool place, looks like a lot of fun.

Hey Kate great to hear from you again! Hope all is well. I admire your dedication to Brennand. Hope to get there one day!

Surprise number one has a website now: http://www.aviation-alley.com

We've got a private bowling alley. And it is very awesome. The airport owner's son Matt is very into pro bowling.

The new building is still not finished, but the bowling alley has been operational for a while. We were all testing it out during our EAA chapter holiday party in January. I don't know the owner's plans for EAA week, but let's hope we can have at least one "bowling night." I would also hope it to be open at some other events at the airport this year.

Why do it all for free what does that get then is that so the next year they can charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent news. Glad to see it doing well. It was already a cool place but the chnges should make it even better.

Give me a note about what you've been up to lately. BTW, there's a brand new Sky Arrow down here waiting for you :).

Brennand Airport (79C) is an alternate EAA AirVenture destination a short distance north of Oshkosh.

2014 will be one of the most exciting years in the airport's history! The airport is undergoing a major transformation that began in 2013. Our short 2,450-ft runway has not been lengthened - sorry! - but it has been repaved, repainted, widened to 30', and re-lit with new, bright three-step lighting and PAPIs. The grass on the whole airport was torn up last fall and redone. Once it fills in this year, we should have a parallel grass runway.

Under new ownership, a beautiful new facility is being constructed with completion expected in spring 2014. The building features public restrooms, showers, a huge kitchen space with appliances, lounge, air conditioning, a very large hangar, large second-floor observation deck, etc. I believe that a washer/dryer will be going in also. There is a "surprise" inside that already has heads turning. More on that later. There will also be another "surprise" outside. Sorry, I have to keep you guessing for now!

There is a gorgeous brand-new 16-passenger shuttle bus (with entertainment system!) that will be used to take people back and forth from the show grounds, and we also have other people willing to give rides in personal vehicles. Transportation will not be a problem if you fly in for the show.

Camping will be FREE... yes, FREE... No landing, parking, camping, or tiedown fees of any kind this year. Free will donations accepted of course, but we want to encourage everyone to give 79C a try. You can camp by your plane. We have also created space behind the hangars where there will be permanent partially shaded campsites, a bonfire ring, and picnic tables. We are considering bringing in food if there is enough interest.

Also note, the Saturday before AirVenture, on July 26th, the EAA Chapter at Brennand Airport is hosting its annual fly-in. It runs from about 10 AM to 2 PM, and we would very much like to see you there.

If you are interested in overnight parking and/or camping, please call Keith at (920) 376-0064 and add yourself to the list, or let me know right here in this thread. We expect more traffic this year, and we want to be prepared for you.

I plan to be around, as this is my home base airport and personal obsession. :) I will update this thread with more info as EAA 2014 approaches, and will also keep our new web site up to date. I will post pictures of the facility once it gets further along.

Please see http://www.brennandairport.com for more info.

Sounds like a nice field. Wish I lived closer.

Why do it all for free what does that get then is that so the next year they can charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't argue with free. Even though I knew someone would try.

Alright guys, things have finally gotten done enough to the point where the owner was able to have a photographer come in and take some great photos of the new facilities. Check out the photo slideshow:

http://brennandairport.com/facilities.html

facilities1.jpg

I'm going to update the web site with new aerial photos soon.

Look out when 10,000 pilots show up. Suckers for the word "free".

Cool place, looks like a lot of fun.

Lol

Now THAT's a nice airport. If I'm ever in the area, I'll be sure to stop by.

Alright guys, things have finally gotten done enough to the point where the owner was able to have a photographer come in and take some great photos of the new facilities. Check out the photo slideshow:

facilities1.jpg

That's incredible! I've been over that area a bunch lately, but never looking outside (foggles). I might have to make a trip up there soon!

Is camping available throughout the season or just during AirVenture? Also, I'm assuming the bowling alley isn't open to pilots flying in but are the rest of the amenities (kitchen, laundry, shower, etc)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I want to know is how many masons died of frustration while building those columns!?!?

:dunno:....:yikes:

:)

Excellent. You've got the requirements for our flyouts from Oshkosh: cheap fuel and showers. I typically ferry some of the women up from the camping area to get real showers. We had been going to Clintonville but you're much closer.

Excellent. You've got the requirements for our flyouts from Oshkosh: cheap fuel and showers. I typically ferry some of the women up from the camping area to get real showers. We had been going to Clintonville but you're much closer.

Clintonville is a great airport...but this one...wow...

I have been emailing with Keith. Hoping we can have good weather so we can make the trip and leave the plane there on Monday night!

facilities1.jpg

beautiful facility! and after looking at the website, I am wondering if I will have enough useful load to bring my bowling ball!

I think I'm finally recovered from EAA week! I think we had a record turnout at our annual Brennand Airport fly-in the Saturday before AirVenture. It was IFR that morning, so unfortunately no one could make it in... But we had a great crowd and got some VFR to do rides later.

Our airport was still the best-kept secret this year, but I think word is spreading, which is good. We had several visitors over the week drive in just to see what was out there. One such couple had left their plane at Waupaca when they couldn't get to OSH at the beginning of the week due to weather. They were staying nearby and now they have seen this other option! We had several planes in and out throughout the week, and I think someone camped at some point. Keith (airport owner) put a bulletin board map on the wall for people to put pins on where they come from. Well, he says we are going to need a new map, because we only have the U.S., and it turns out our visitors were from all different countries! Oops! Someone flew in just to use a shower (smart!), and we almost ran the 100LL tank out of gas. The weather caused plenty of drama and we ended up having some soft spots in new dirt, but all in all it was a great week and we're excited for an even busier EAA week next year.

Keith offered his building to host a private shindig for the WASPs, complete with fancy food and drink, and a band. I wasn't there but I hear it was a hoot. The facility is perfect for large gatherings.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next year, and maybe see some of you and your planes. We always have a fly-in the Saturday before the show, to kick off the week.

Photos: 7/31: Cooper the airport dog welcomes you, Evektor taxiing out, work continues on the go-kart track, and some of our airplane guests after the storm. 7/30: Our party...er, shuttle bus, skywriting Chipmunk and pilot, skywriting Chipmunk and some of the visiting airplanes.

Attachments

• brennand-7-31-141.jpg
    brennand-7-31-141.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 8
  • brennand-7-31-142.jpg
    brennand-7-31-142.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 9
  • brennand-7-31-143.jpg
    brennand-7-31-143.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 8
  • brennand-7-31-144.jpg
    brennand-7-31-144.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 8
  • brennand-7-30-141.jpg
    brennand-7-30-141.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 10
  • brennand-7-30-142.jpg
    brennand-7-30-142.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 8
  • brennand-7-30-143.jpg
    brennand-7-30-143.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 8
Your airport was great. A friend and I flew out there early Wednesday to take showers, buy fuel, and otherwise take a look around. We ended up spending a bit longer since they closed the field at Oshkosh due to the Breezy accident. Thanks for giving us a tie down for the night until I could come retrieve my plane the next day.

We'll definitely be back!

Kate ...

If you need any antennas for your airport, I'd be happy to fabricate anything you may want as a courtesy for being such a gracious host. Let me know and I'll see what we can make for you.

Thanks,

Jim

Back