mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Bruce Schneier said:
Scene from an Airport
I've gotten to the front of the security line and handed the TSA officer my ID and ticket.
TSA Officer: (Looks at my ticket. Looks at my ID. Looks at me. Smiles.)
Me: (Smiles back.)
TSA Officer: (Looks at my ID. Looks at me. Smiles.)
Me: (Tips hat. Smiles back.)
TSA Officer: A beloved name from the blogosphere.
Me: And I always thought that I slipped through these lines anonymously.
TSA Officer: Don't worry. No one will notice. This isn't the sort of job that rewards competence, you know.
Me: Have a good day.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/05/scene_from_an_a.html

I actually understand how it is be bottled up inside a large brain-suppressing bureaucracy.

From the same story:
I am reminded of my friend's story. She is federal law enforcement, which means she is armed when she flies. The (hopefully brand-new) TSA guy had no problem with her weapon but tried to make her throw out her bottle of water.
I'm glad to say he was roundly quashed by all the other TSA guys around.

From the same story:

I actually get that... there's a reg that says that she can't carry the water, and there's a reg that says she CAN carry the weapon.

It's stupid to keep her from carrying water, but it's equally stupid to keep ME from carrying water, so why should she get special treatment?

Disclaimer. I was also once in federal law enforcement and travelled armed. I had to abide by all the other rules though.

Similarly, here in DC there's a move afoot to start ticketing all the federal cops who travel in the HOV lanes in their G-cars even though there's just one cop in the car and they aren't doing active enforcement.

Similarly, here in DC there's a move afoot to start ticketing all the federal cops who travel in the HOV lanes in their G-cars even though there's just one cop in the car and they aren't doing active enforcement.

That can't come soon enough....

OMG! There are at least TWO of them!

Another Scene from an Airport
I've gotten to the front of the security line at a different airport, and handed a different TSA officer my ID and ticket.
TSA Officer: (Looks everything over. Reads the name on my passport.) The Bruce Schneier?
Me: (Nods, managing not to say: "No no, just a Bruce Schneier; didn't you hear I come in six-packs?")
TSA Officer: The security expert?
Me: Yes.
TSA Officer: (Takes off his glove. Offers me his hand to shake.)
Me: (Shakes his hand.)
TSA Officer: I read your stuff all the time.
That's twice in a row, after years of not being recognized by any TSA officer ever. This is starting to worry me.

http://www.schneier.com/

I've always felt that a job as a TSA screener could actually be a very good gig for a certain type of well-educated person. Such an individual would understand that it's basically a task-oriented job for a bureaucracy whose policies often seem mystifying and senseless -- and wouldn't care. He or she would simply perform the tasks properly, ignore the nonsense, and leave the job at the airport at the end of each shift.

I have a lot of very highly educated, intelligent, self-unemployed friends. Most freelancers have suffered income loss in the past few years, and many have taken part-time jobs. I've noticed that the ones who seem happiest are those who take what seem to be the worst jobs -- especially when those jobs are completely unrelated to their actual professions.

One guy is absolutely thrilled with his weekend job driving a porta-potty truck. He makes something like $25.00 an hour or thereabouts and works two 10-hour shifts per weekend. Apparently, some law prohibits them from working more than 10 hours in a day, or else he'd happily pull double shifts. He basically sticks a big hose in the toilet that sucks out the, errrhh, contents, and then flips a lever that refills the toilet with the chemicals. Then he hoses down the privy, replaces the TP, and moves on to the next toilet. He calls the work "gloriously mindless."

I used to know another guy who was a retired psychologist. He retired early because he "just got tired of listening to people's problems," which kind of puts the kabosh on a psychology practice. Out of boredom more than anything else, he took a job as a ticket taker at a movie theater. Being a movie buff, he loved the job because he got to see all the movies for free -- sometimes before their public releases.

I've taken some pretty unusual part-time jobs myself at various times in my life, as well. Some of the more interesting were mosquito control technician, nuisance wildlife control agent, and smoke observer. Some of my other part-time jobs have included propane truck driver, vacuum cleaner salesman, cab driver, and window washer. I basically took whatever part-time work I could find when I needed extra cash.

So I can understand how some people would be attracted to a job like TSA screener for reasons other than their being an automaton. It's not a great-paying job, but it pays better than McDonald's does. I imagine the benefits are decent, being a federal job. It's also not entirely mindless: I suppose someone who's bright, observant, and has a passing familiarity with psychology could find ways to make a shift tolerably interesting -- as long as they don't tell their supervisors.

-Rich

Back