Break Out the WD40

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
So..it finally did stop actually raining today. Just for that, in celebration of passing the written and in hopes of finally (don't get excited yet) flying, guess what...Can you spell.........oh man, am I out of practice!!!!

How many basic, you should have known, and 'have you ever heard of the carb heat control, make right traffic, thats right traffic' messups can one person pull and still manage to keep one's wits about oneself. SHEESH I am learning the difference between Flight Following, and Flight Plan Filing, who to communicate with and how to do it.

Granted, alot about today's lesson was very very new, and combined with the four weeks it has been since I flew last, it was not my best showing. We planned to do diversion work anyway. We HAD to do it today because unlike what the TAFS and METARS told us and the briefer thought would be improving conditions, the clouds would not cooperate, and actually grew together the further east we flew (something to do with dew points and temps being almost equal) and holy sh---- not only do I look up from the paperwork and charts and plotter and whatnot in my lap, but the freeking cloud bases are like 50 feet over our head. I looked at my CFI and said, I don't think we can go here...(like DUH).:yikes: I should have done that something like about 450 feet ago. We found a hole and climbed to 5,500 and did an over the top VFR flight for a while, it was beautiful and scary not to have any ground reference points, and as the cloud deck became deeper and more solid, we did the diversion work, after turning around, finding another hole in the clouds, and my CFI took us down in a shallow turn until we were back under the bases. Pilotage to find a reference point, find a diversion airport, head in the general direction of that airport, plot the course, heading, distance, time and fuel burn, and fly the plane...set up and do it again with another airport in the opposite direction and BTW stay the hell out of the clouds.

So, divert we did. I have to say, with the utmost humbleness and respect that I am in awe of how much work it is to do these things. For those of you here who have many hours of training and flight time or a natural innate talent for this, my hat is off to you. For me, the more I learn, the more I realize how much I still have to learn. It took me what seemed like 20 minutes to do the work. I got ahead of myself for much of the flight. Have to learn to slow down, think things through, be systematic and organized in my cockpit work and relax. The diversion procedure worked okay, but I have alot more personal work to do here.

Worked alot on understanding VOR's, tracking to and from them and some triangulation with 2 VOR's to find my location . My CFI also gave me an opportunity to fly into the clouds and execute a 180 out...for my student peers who have not had that experience, listen to everything you are told about the difference between simulated IMC and real IMC and how your senses can play tricks on you as to your attitude, direction, turn rate and how you have to trust those instruments and if you are not rated, get the heck out as soon as you can, safely.

Oh well, home again, another lesson, another set of information and experience to digest and learn from. And yes, another front to the west, bringing real crappy WX our way....just as long as Saturday 8AM is clear and I can go back and do it some more!!!

Man, I was just talking with my CFI the other day with respect to studying for the Private Knowledge Test and said almost exactly the same thing. "The more I study the more I feel I don't know."

Were you doing a sectional and E6B diversion?

Some days are dimonds, some days are coal.

QFT. One flight before my solo cross country sign offs I had my CFI and the head CFI onboard (the head CFI was evaluating the CFI). I'd flown with both before and did fine, but boy did I stink it up that day. No one thing. Just a slew of small things. I wasn't even nervous about the fact that there were 2 CFIs. Unexplainable. However, my CFI pretty much just wrote it off as a bad day and told me to treat it as a learning experience and move on.

So what did I learn? Well, it's related somewhat to the OP in that I learned that for where I am (was) now (then) I needed to be much more organized in not just flying, but in my radio coms and nav. When unexpected things happen I can't yet rely on experience to remember to do stuff so I started writing my own flying/comms checklists. Even if I don't use it all, the act of writing it down ahead made me think about the things I needed to do. The preparations pay off for me in flight. I just need to get better at throwing those preparations out now when things go even more wrong. :D

I also learned that flying by myself and flying with my CFI can be very different experiences. My CFI pushes me at a pace that is just a bit faster than I'd normally move. Not sure if that's intentional, but I found that when I'm by myself I'm generally competent to get things done even if sometimes I feel like I'm just messing up whole lessons.

I also learned that flying by myself and flying with my CFI can be very different experiences. My CFI pushes me at a pace that is just a bit faster than I'd normally move. Not sure if that's intentional, but I found that when I'm by myself I'm generally competent to get things done even if sometimes I feel like I'm just messing up whole lessons.

My last student would complain: "I don't fly this bad when I'm alone!"

I replied: "If you think I'm pressuring you, imagine what it will be like with a planeful of passengers and you smell smoke in the cockpit or lose vacuum in IMC or hear the engine sputter... you think I'm causing you pressure? Good -- because you need to experience pressure and still perform."

I regularly recieve backhanded compliments after the check ride of the ilk: "I've finally met someone who is MEANer than you!"

I regularly recieve backhanded compliments after the check ride of the ilk: "I've finally met someone who is MEANer than you!"

either your examiners are pretty mean, or the examiners ive used are too nice. I usually am told by my studnets that flying with me is tougher than the checkride. i consider that a complement too :)

You should meet my primary DE out of Santa Barbara, CA KSBA. He was known to yell at people when they made mistakes. I guess that's what they do in the Army.

Looking back at that check ride today, it occurs to me that it was by far the most difficult. I came in with a 100% on the written and he was really out to get me to make a mistake.

-Felix

either your examiners are pretty mean, or the examiners ive used are too nice. I usually am told by my studnets that flying with me is tougher than the checkride. i consider that a complement too :)

I think the problem is that Bruce is just too nice and soft spoken. I'll be he's never raised his voice at a student, although it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's wanted to on a few occasions.

Back