Brazilian clean sheet design: 192 knots / 1632# useful load

Well, being Brazilian, you know for sure it'll be nice and smooth.

:D

Just a quick mental guesstimate says with 4 200 pounders you could add around 126 or so gallons of fuel. Sounds fantastic...... But my next plane will have more than one engine.

I kind of like it, like a Lancair but you can pull your feet up. But a little more capable. It looks like it's set up for a yoke. A center stick would be hella cool though.

Looks like a family sized EMB 312 Tucano. :D

Really just depends on how tight they make the cabin. Sounds like it has an IO-580 in it. They might be able to pull it off.

The rest of it depends on how unforgiving they want to/can make the wing.

I'd sell my soul for a Tucano, and a cougar to buy the fuel for me. :)

Airplanes on paper always beat real airplanes. Unfortunately for the paper airplanes, reality intercedes. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ah yes, making a small fortune in the airplane business by starting with a large one from the taxpayers... Brazilian in this case :)

Sounds thirsty. They should use an engine that doesn't still use magnetos. :rolleyes2:

Not sure if your two statements are meant to be related. Magnetos actually produce a significantly stronger spark than their electronic ignition equivalents. While they have the disadvantage of not having variable timing, that's really not that big of a deal in our aircraft engines due to the fact that they have a limited operating range. It is a misconception that adding electronic ignition will help you vs. a magneto as far as performance goes. Magnetos will also end up being lighter weight than their electronic ignition equivalents in a certified aircraft because of the need to have a backup electrical power source.

Now, that said, I would prefer an electronic ignition system for other reasons.

Not sure if your two statements are meant to be related. Magnetos actually produce a significantly stronger spark than their electronic ignition equivalents.

Ted, Is this generally true, or just true for in-flight regimes? I thought one of the advantages of e-ignition was a significantly stronger spark during engine start. :dunno:

-Skip

Pressurized? That'll be interesting. Why the expense and complexity of an aerobatic engine? To get the 315hp? Seems like giving up the pressurization weight and the acro you get 300 or 310hp doing maybe 190kts.

I bet production will end up 175kt 1000# useful load and it'll have short legs because it will have a really thirsty engine.

They might get close to spec removing hull weight for pressurization and going to 300/310 hp with electronic ignition and fadec to op lop at cruise.

Well, being Brazilian, you know for sure it'll be nice and smooth.

:D

Maybe.

But only if you keep it waxed.

(Ba Da BUMP!)

Try the veal, it's great tonight, and don't for get to tip your waiters...

Aircraft ads don't specify that the plane will accomplish all of the performance claims on the same trip on the same day. The either/or condition is not always highlighted in the large print.

192 knots? 1632# useful load? Color me skeptical. These performance estimates always seem to vaporize by the time the wheels meet the ramp.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articl..._id=120921epilot&WT.mc_sect=tts&cmp=ePlt:RdMr

http://www.novaercraft.com.br/

I really have to agree with the statement about US manufacturing of general aviation aircraft being in a "museum". I think that's a direct shot at Cessna and their continued reliance on the old high wing design and 60's styling.
I think the bottom line is in order for GA to survive and flourish in the future planes have to move past being strictly designed for your "aviator" club and more for the general public. Like it or not I think companies like this and Cirrus are the future.

Ted, Is this generally true, or just true for in-flight regimes? I thought one of the advantages of e-ignition was a significantly stronger spark during engine start. :dunno:

-Skip

My understanding is that electronic ignitions offer a significantly stronger spark than magnetos. That's why the plugs on EI equipped aircraft have bigger gap than the same plugs installed downstream of a mag.

Pipistrel promises a 200 kts cruis with Panthera, on IO-390. They also mention that the 1000 nm range will be attainable with any payload. However, the payload number is unknown. I'm quite certain that it's not going to be anywhere near 1600 lbs. Still, it's a 200-knot 4-seater, so yeah.

http://www.pipistrel.si/plane/panthera/overview

P.S. Found 1145 lbs useful, 760 full fuel.

Last edited:
Back