Brazil - bem-vindo ao Brasil

Stigmon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stigmon
Hello - I'm new here so my first post.:D
I'm going to Brazil in August and I want to fly there. Does anyone know much about the topic - maybe tried it? Can i rent a plane like here, how do I find FBO's with plane rentals and what do I need to do it.
I know the controllers speak decent if not good english and approach, departure, etc. are pretty much the same as here so that part should be straight forward.
What about maps, foreflight, navigation... I hear they turn some of that off to spare the gear unless a flight is field.
Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
--Stig

Just watch a few episodes of "Most Dangerous Flights" and you'll be good to go.

I live in CO and we have a lot of "most dangerous" flying around here too. Lot's of little back-country strips although maybe not as many as in Utah and with the altitude and heat in the summer it makes for interesting flying - or observing if you're on the ground.

On the mountain flying web-site someone posted an article about flying in Brazil. They had been working there for a year or so and then took a trip around the country in a twin. From the description and pictures it looks safe enough. Strips in Amazonas are not on the agenda. :nono:

The big issue is landing clearances, and there are people that secure these for a living. That's who you need to talk to.

Since posting this I have found some more interesting information:

The good:
VFR CAP (Sectional) and WAC charts here: http://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/index.cfm
I've downloaded several for the routes I am contemplating. Both in the CAP and WAC scales. In addition to the small major city airports there are many small dirt strips closer to destinations I may want to visit such as beach towns. I assume these don't have services and that the municipal airports do have gas. They are pretty close together so I would guess I can stop for gas, then go onto destination and back if I need to.

I will also presume that these charts can be ordered.

Very good is Skyvector which also allows for flight planning to get an idea of distances, flying times etc.: http://skyvector.com/?ll=-7.145833333,-34.948611111&chart=301&zoom=3

Somewhat helpful: Search for Aeroclube / aero clube and you get various flying clubs and schools around in Brazil.

I also contacted a great guy who flew his Bonanza V-tail there a few years ago. He flew from Cali I think all the way to Brazil and then a circuit around the country. He had only good things to say about the trip.

The article on Moutain Flying web site I also found and I think it was Sparky who was there and it's his article but I may be wrong about that. Also an interesting article to be sure.

The not so good:
Foreflight does not seem to have anything international except Canada, Mexico and Central Am. Disappointed...
AOPA FlyQ does allow for google maps in the location but doesn't show airports on the map, has the airports in the DB though. Wonder how the GPS will work in those parts of the world.
WingX Pro - not so much either.

The big issue is landing clearances, and there are people that secure these for a living. That's who you need to talk to.

Can you explain a bit more? The article in Mountain Flying suggests IFR is much the same as here in the US including the phraseology. There are also lots of VFR only non-tower airports.
What is the source of your information?
Thanks!

Stig

I suspect he means landing clearances for a foreign aircraft entering the country; flying a local aircraft that would not be an issue.

I flew out of Sao Paolo once with the club there; it was good fun, although headsets had apparently not made it down there yet. The half-deaf instructor just shouted into a hand-mic in the Arrow.

Back