Brand new IPad Air 2...update or not.

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
I am considering NEVER updating my new iPad starting today. It's still in the sealed box. I say this because every time I have in the past, my hardware without fail slows down to a crawl, crashes, and just generally sucks.

I suspect Apple does this on purpose to force consumers to buy new gear assuming their old stuff is just old when in reality, it's Apple screwing it all up.

What do you think would be the fall out if I never updated? Only used on FF, not for the net or otherwise. It's a dedicated EFB.

I only do one update on the major releases, usually one or two minor releases later to get the bugs worked out.

You will find that over time, some apps will quit working with the old IOS. If all you're doing is Foreflight, it's probably not a big deal, except that at some point a future release of Foreflight may require an updated IOS.

I have an original iPad that I regularly updated until updates stopped with (IIRC) iOS v5.

It works fine, as does my newer iPad mini, which I also regularly update.

For the first two to three years you should be OK. I plan on replacing every few years, so I don't worry about it. I just hand down the old one to my GF or my son, so it is not wasted.

For the first two to three years you should be OK. I plan on replacing every few years, so I don't worry about it. I just hand down the old one to my GF or my son, so it is not wasted.

:yeahthat:

None of this technology is meant to be a one-time purchase. I'm guessing you're not still using your first cellphone! :wink2:

So update as new features arise. Eventually improved hardware will motivate you to upgrade to something newer.

If I'm on a good working iOS, and there isn't a program reason for me to update, I don't. Every iOS just had more and more fat on it, guess it how they make you buy new iPads.

We all expect our devices to have more apps, better apps, faster apps.... and we get them every day. Your hardware can't keep up with the software. If you're happy with what you have? Leave it alone. If you want to keep up with the times? Expect to replace your hardware occasionally. That isn't an Apple thing. It applies to that Atari you're using, too. ;-)

I don't see improvements of this magnitude matching apples ideal device replacement dates.

The software simply isn't improving as fast as the hardware is becoming obsolete (due to more bloat), frankly having multi gestures and transparent flying windows doesn't add to anything.

I have a 3rd gen iPad that is now 3 1/2 yrs old. I was updating it and all was OK through 8. Never should have gone to 9 though, and you can't roll back.

I got an Air 2 over the summer, and it is on 9 now with no problems. Will think long and hard about 10 whenever it comes.

Back