Brag about your FBO

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
So I just read
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64141

which got me thinking what do other FBO's offer. Let's say I was going to fly across the country (I'm not) but tell us why we should come to your FBO/airport. Or consider it an advertising of what you would say about the FBO if you were the manager.

I'll start since it is my posting

KTDZ (Toledo Executive) It has resealed tie-downs and runways (from what I understand - I haven't been out to the runways for while but they closed them down for a few days to reseal areas. New furniture in the FBO with 3 sets of reclining sofas (Very comfortable) Also has some vending machines in the hangars and free coffee in the flight planning room along with free wi-fi. Computer runs pretty well and you can also print to the front desk (which unfortunately is not staffed) Fuel is full service so the lineman will come out to you and put it in for you. Staffed 24hours a day M-F. Saturday/Sunday 8a-8p. Maintenance hangar can do minor/major repairs also from 8-5p M-F. Has a flying club (blue-horizons.org) with 3 aircraft on site. Occassional "famous" people fly in. Lot of charter flights come here compared to KTOL.

I am definitely biased since I am the airport/fbo manager. I'll just say that we have been selected by both the FAA and the Arkansas Airport Operators Assoc. as Arkansas Airport of the Year. They may have a different perspective than users. krue.us

I like Dolphin in SRQ,it's my winter home. Very professional staff,and prices aren't bad for a major city in Fla.

Our line guys at Signature in TRM are awesome. They anticipate just about every need we may have and are totally on top of their game. If you ask to have the airplane pulled at 0630 for an 0730 departure, the plane is online at 0625 with a GPU staged and coffee/ice/papers sitting next to the carpet in front of the door. They make my job a lot easier!!

Our line guys at Signature in TRM are awesome. They anticipate just about every need we may have and are totally on top of their game. If you ask to have the airplane pulled at 0630 for an 0730 departure, the plane is online at 0625 with a GPU staged and coffee/ice/papers sitting next to the carpet in front of the door. They make my job a lot easier!!

I was based at Signature at KSAV for a while. (Moved out last week). The only thing to complain about is the prices. But, with the discount it wasn't as bad as advertised. If I flew to a lot of airports with a signature, I likely would have stayed with them, but I usually fly into sleepy airports with a self serve pump and that's about it. I mainly left because I don't like all the BS that goes with being at an airport that has 121 ops.

My new spot is $5.00 fuel, and $100/mo hangars.

Last edited:
I'm based at KCHD and fuel/hangar with Chandler Air Service. They've got self serve fuel, which I've never used, and good full service. Every time they come to my hangar to fuel they wash the windows, all of them!! Fuel is pretty cheap, something like $5.90 before the local discount, I think $5.70 with the discount. The office is only open from 730-530 but the line guys are there 6am to 8pm plus the 24 hour self serve. MX is there 6 days a week which is really nice when you break on Saturday. Good operation, but I don't have much of a view on 'transient' services since I'm based there.

I also go to KRAP a lot and go to Westjet. They're all full-service, the self-serve on the field is NOT theirs, have tons of tiedowns and (heated!) hangar space available for transients. They're 24 hours which is awesome. Their MX shop is great and have had stuff overnighted and repaired by 8am for me. They can get cheap cars/hotels with shuttles with little or no notice. Really good place. I'd stop in there if you want to see Mt Rushmore or any of the other black hills attractions.

My FBO sucks. The furniture is ratty, carpet faded, TV only gets one station. But they bring me gas and fill my tires with air if I ask, and they'll even tow me out on a snowy day. So they're fine by me.

I don't really "have" an FBO so to speak, unless using the self serve gas operated by an on field FBO counts. I rarely use the services of the home FBO (i.e. begging for a jump start) and there are a few on field stores for pilot supplies.

Travelling is a different thing entirely, of course.

My flying club has ugly airplanes and the briefing room is a dump. But that's not why I fly there. The big reason is the lack of Hobbs minimums. The airplanes are maintained reasonably, despite looking like they have been parked in the sun for 30+ years (maybe...because they have been). And there are some hard-to-find rentals on the line. 177RG, TR182, Bonanza, 7ECA, rumors are a Cessna 120 is coming. And this is in addition to the overmaintained 172N with an Aspen glass panel, 430 and fresh engine (!).

Sac Arrow's even seen that 177RG with the bird poop stains dripping down the tail.

Last edited:
Our FBO is voted the best in the State time after time, so it's pretty good. It's a nice newer facility with a restaurant with a fifties decor. And young nubile college girls serving tables in poodle skirts and bobby socks.

My flying club has ugly airplanes and the briefing room is a dump. But that's not why I fly there. The big reason is the lack of Hobbs minimums. The airplanes are maintained reasonably, despite looking like they have been parked in the sun for 30+ years (maybe...because they have been). And there are some hard-to-find rentals on the line. 177RG, TR182, Bonanza, 7ECA, rumors are a Cessna 120 is coming. And this is in addition to the overmaintained 172N with an Aspen glass panel, 430 and fresh engine (!).

Sac Arrow's even seen that 177RG with the bird poop stains dripping down the tail.

Sac Arrow has even got bird poop stains on his hands from pushing that 177RG in to a parking space.

For me, two words.... ICE CREAM!
icecream.gif

Sure, you have the cookies, coffee, popcorn. But it's now a post flight tradition for me to go into the FBO and get cone of soft serve.

Other positive items are there: very friendly, clean bathroom, conference room, pilot lounge with very comfy recliner and couch, good line staff, etc.

Our FBO is voted the best in the State time after time, so it's pretty good. It's a nice newer facility with a restaurant with a fifties decor. And young nubile college girls serving tables in poodle skirts and bobby socks.

So what's the location,or did I miss something on the post.

I will chime in...................

Jackson Hole Aviation is a top notch FBO. Well run and has high standards for all their help. Facilities are in good shape and the lobby /rest room/ flight planning room is well thought out.. Prices are high but that comes with the fact we are a destination for Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park... Jackson Hole Mountain Resort was named best in the country and is less then 3 miles away... Rent is HIGH and starter homes run in the 800,000 range so paying for good help makes the end charges to fly in customers look unusual. Probably the prettiest airport to land at in the world...:yes:

http://www.jacksonholeairport.com/

http://jhaviation.com/

Augusta 3AU -

Manager has a great can do attitude.. He is open to just about anything good for you, the airport or aviation. Just ask.

Has 4000' paved runway. New taxi way. VASI/IFR approach. 10 miles east of Wichita, KS.

we have a courtesy car free for 1 hr or even 2 hrs also have Hertz rent-a-car on the field. We have self serve fuel, JetA.

We have a Professionally managed FBO, Lloyd is a retired ATP from 121 and 135 and 91..... Really loves aviation and other pilots so it shows in the way he runs the airport.

Free coffee, wifi, wx brief/flight plan compouters, pilots lounge, planning room, pax lounge and it is staffed until 7pm every day but shorter times on Sunday. Snax and soda machines, plenty of magazines to borrow and read... We usually have two maintenance shops with IA's and a couple of A&Ps who have their aircraft hangar-ed that might help you out as well.

Everything is fresh painted, mowed, cleaned, no rocks, sand or pebbles within 250' of any place you would taxi an aircraft.

Free overnight parking, no service fees for transits and they will put your airplane in a hangar if a storm system passes through - no charge.

They have free tie downs to anyone who wants to keep their plane here and actively fly it, buy gas that is.... They have 100 hangars mostly full but if you wait a bit you can usually snag a hangar within a few months for $187 per month.

I'll bet a cup of good coffee it's Brenham, TX (11R)

Yepper, you sir, are due a cup of joe. I can't say if it's good, cause I never get it. :wink2:

Sorry I left that out back there. Yeah 11R stays pretty busy on a pretty weekend, so get there early.

Prior Aviation, Buffalo NY, flat out the worse FBO in the country, and I fly jets professionally and have seen just about all the lower 48 has to offer. The management are criminals (damage aircraft and then blame it in other FBO's that never moved the aircraft during quick stops) the maintenance has had so many F ups I can't believe they still have a part 145 repair station (landing gear written up over and over and finally plane lands with 2 down, landing gear FALLS OFF in flight! and one plane started on fire and burned to the ground, among many others). Our fuel costs WAY more than it should because "they can" says the CEO. They stiffled and sued every FBO operator who tried to move into the area, and still call the transit police at every chance they can to make the local charter company look bad.

Run! Run as fast as you can from Prior Aviation, KBUF.

Prior Aviation, Buffalo NY, flat out the worse FBO in the country, and I fly jets professionally and have seen just about all the lower 48 has to offer. The management are criminals (damage aircraft and then blame it in other FBO's that never moved the aircraft during quick stops) the maintenance has had so many F ups I can't believe they still have a part 145 repair station (landing gear written up over and over and finally plane lands with 2 down, landing gear FALLS OFF in flight! and one plane started on fire and burned to the ground, among many others). Our fuel costs WAY more than it should because "they can" says the CEO. They stiffled and sued every FBO operator who tried to move into the area, and still call the transit police at every chance they can to make the local charter company look bad.

Run! Run as fast as you can from Prior Aviation, KBUF.

Oh, come on, let it out and tell us all how you really feel..;):D

Back