Boyer to retire?

I see that Fuller is a PP with IA. I wonder if he flies actively? It would be weird without Boyer. He's the only AOPA president in my flying history.

Re: Phil Retires

The new president will have some big shoes to phil, but his background certainly is encouraging.

Coming in early 2009, it looks, I'll be renewing my AOPA membership. This is excellent news, and I know that Fuller will do the job that Boyer was afraid to do, because otherwise he wouldn't be taking this important job.

And I am....not really jumping for joy, but certainly celebrating the coming of a new, modern phase of AOPA.

Could you explain that 1st statement? I just recently renewed my membership after being inactive for about 4 years (last time in my log book is 2003) so I'm a little out of the loop here.

Could you explain that 1st statement? I just recently renewed my membership after being inactive for about 4 years (last time in my log book is 2003) so I'm a little out of the loop here.

I can, but not right now. When I get home, and get power, I will go into detail. Let me just say that this is wonderful news for AOPA.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Phil, however, during his tenure I do believe AOPA has moved more towards the jet set crowd instead of the bugsmasher crowd. I'd rather be in the bugsmasher crowd, thank you very much.

I have no problem with Phil, however, during his tenure I do believe AOPA has moved more towards the jet set crowd instead of the bugsmasher crowd. I'd rather be in the bugsmasher crowd, thank you very much.

I tend to agree with that.

One of AOPAs statements has been to keep GA affordable. Affordable for whom, may I ask? I don't call a $250k 172 affordable by any means. Or the new $110k Cessna LSA.

When the largest manufacturer of commercial communications equipment in the world (Motorola) stays away from making radios for the aviation market, that tells me there's either too many damn laws on the books or too many damn lawyers hanging around. Honestly, what has the AOPA done to restore some sanity in those areas so some of the companies with the money and manufacturing capacity will branch out into aviation? I got rather excited when Toyota (I think!) mentioned a few years back that they were working on a prototype for a $50-60k 4 place aircraft. Shame that didn't come to fruition, but it just goes to show you that GA doesn't have to be ultra expensive if you get someone with some cost effective manufacturing processes in the market.

Last edited:
Back