Boycott Budget rent-a-wreck

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
After my Christmas week trip to Costa Rica, and the criminal behavior exhibited by the Budget Rent a Car operation down there, I returned and filed a complaint with corporate headquarters. Today I got their official response, which was basically, "too bad."

To make a long story short, they charged me all of the damage waiver charges even though I declined them all in writing at the outset. Oops, they "can't find" that paperwork. And they charged me for a new tire when one failed because of a previous unacceptable repair to the sidewall. This turned into a shouting match in the station there before we left.

I hate to turn this into a ****ing match between the lawyers, cuz mine has enough work to do and we're only talking a couple hundred dollars in fraudulent charges. But still, it burns me up that people do this KNOWING it'll be such a hassle to fight them you'll let 'em get away with it.

Ken, I do so wish I had known that you were going to Costa Rica, and renting a car- what you describe is legendary behavior, for all car rental operations there.

General rule is, inspect the vehicle like you are taking delivery of a new car at pick up, note every minute issue, document it well.

Of course, I have heard that driving in CR is an adventure unto itself, too!

How do they explain charging both "damage waiver" and damage?

I got charged $100 from Enterprise in Mexico for a missing "gato" ... I told them the jeep did not have a cat in it when I got it, as I did not ask for a cat with my jeep (why is "gato" both a cat and a jack?) ... wife's friend started to cause such a scene that we thought the cops would be there any minute, so I just elected to leave it on the credit card and dispute the charge thru Visa once back in the states. I did get the charge dropped after numerous phone calls and letters.

Found out later that missing jacks and gas caps are the favorite add on charge for rental cars in Mexico.

How do they explain charging both "damage waiver" and damage?
Because tires are specifically excluded from the waivers. The German manager of our hotel saw the previous tire repair and said, "In Germany, whoever did that repair would go to jail."

Yup. Been there. Had a similar problem with Avis in Central Mexico.

Credit card with “rental car insurance” tells me to decline the Avis insurance when renting.

Got a flat tire.

Called Avis Mexico, who authorized me to replace it with a like tire.

Actually found a Michelin dealer in the middle of friggin’ nowhere who replaced the tire.

When turning in the vehicle, Avis refused to pay the tire bill, stating the tire was an “accident” and I had waived the insurance. Their prior authorization not withstanding.

The credit card hotline representative states a flat tire is a mechanical failure, denies the claim, and tells me "too bad, talk to Avis."

After nearly missing my flight while arguing with Avis Mexico, I give up, go home and take it up with Avis U.S.

(months later, unlike your story, Avis U.S. did cover the tire, but it wasn’t fun getting there -- cost me more than the tire in phone calls and letter writing)

From what I have seen, this is par for the course when renting in Latin America.

I've done fine on auto rentals as they've always been with Enterprise. Pigeon Forge was pricey for a day but only because of the gouging airport tax added on. Total of taxes there are 27.5%. I do wonder why they always clean the inside side glass and all outside glass. But, the inside windshield and rear glass are NEVER cleaned. :dunno:

I've never had good luck with truck rentals.

1998: Reserved with Ryder, posted deposit for one-way Jawjuh to Colorado. On the day requested, there was no truck available anywhere in the area in the size I required nor larger. When no Ryder truck was available, I called around and located a U-Haul truck the dealer would rent for one-way at a decent rate. I loaded and took off that night. Two days later, I was about 150 miles out of Denver when the engine blew a rod. Fortunately, I was towing my car. I had no cell phone at the time so I drove to Limon and called for service. Three hours later, someone showed. I got what I needed and went on my way in my car and got a motel. For nearly three weeks, they picked up the tab on the motel and all food. My belongings remained in the truck while the engine was replaced. In the end, it was a blessing in disguise as I would have to stay at a motel at least a week while I looked for a home.

As it turned out, there are benefits as a courier. I stumble upon places often hidden from the general public. In this case, it was the Ryder offices in Denver. :D Under the guise I needed it for the work, I obtained a local number. After a few weeks of "harassment" of their executive offices as well as their legal department they finally agreed to provide a truck for free to make a local move at a later date.

2002: It's time to return to Jawjuh. I look around and find a good rate on a Budget truck. It's not as large but I'll make it work. I get loaded, take off the next day and in the afternoon of crossing Kansas, it's raining something awful. I can deal with the rain. The truck handled well... driving-wise, that is.

When they put the truck together, i.e., the box being attached to a van chassis, they apparently put all the decals on the box first. The box was then mounted on the Chassis. Obviously, they used sealant at the edges between the cab and the box. However, the sealant on the box was ON TOP of the decal. The sealant held great. The decal did not. I had a LOT of water coming into the cab from that storm. Of course, it hit the front of the box above the cab and just flowed right down through that broken "seal" and right onto my back and shoulders. The only thing that made it worse... it was NOT a warm rain. It was COLD!!! I got back a whopping $200 on a $1600 rental. Oh, they did reimburse me for the replaced headlight and the six bucks in sealant I was able to get after driving some 150 miles in that ice cold rain.

In looking around, it appears Penske has the best built and maintained trucks but they aren't cheap. I'm not looking forward to ever renting overseas. But, I'm not sure I'll ever take a taxi if I'm in Italy again. Ya ever have a taxi driver take a detour? Through a train tunnel??? :hairraise:

I've done fine on auto rentals as they've always been with Enterprise. Pigeon Forge was pricey for a day but only because of the gouging airport tax added on. Total of taxes there are 27.5%.

As a former nearly life long Tennessee resident, I can partially explain that. Tennessee has no state income tax and relies on exorbitant sales taxes, which normally total between 9% and 10% on just ordinary purchases, and nearly everything is subject to that (except, I think, prescription medications.) Food, you name it. In addition, any local option tax that is perceived as not having to be paid by local folks is an easy target to get increased on a referendum, as opposed to the regular local sales tax which locals pay. Hotel tax, for example, averages about 20% and up across the state, from what I've seen staying in other parts of it. There are also special amusement taxes on things like movie tickets that you don't normally see because it's rolled into the price AND, at least in the area I'm from, the price starts out a bit cheaper so it comes out about the same as elsewhere.

In a place like Pigeon Forge where the economy is almost entirely generated by tourism, it's easy for the locals, who get to vote on referendums, to simply pass on the charge for infrastructure to transients. In that special case it may even be rather fair, considering how much of the infrastructure is needed because of tourism.

I got charged $100 from Enterprise in Mexico for a missing "gato" ... I told them the jeep did not have a cat in it when I got it, as I did not ask for a cat with my jeep (why is "gato" both a cat and a jack?) ... wife's friend started to cause such a scene that we thought the cops would be there any minute, so I just elected to leave it on the credit card and dispute the charge thru Visa once back in the states. I did get the charge dropped after numerous phone calls and letters.

Found out later that missing jacks and gas caps are the favorite add on charge for rental cars in Mexico.

One more in a long list of reasons not to travel to or spend money in Mexico.

Because tires are specifically excluded from the waivers. The German manager of our hotel saw the previous tire repair and said, "In Germany, whoever did that repair would go to jail."

You bet, TUV in Germany is an iron *****. People always wonder why I hate Mexico and the rest of Central America.

As a former nearly life long Tennessee resident, I can partially explain that. Tennessee has no state income tax and relies on exorbitant sales taxes, which normally total between 9% and 10% on just ordinary purchases, and nearly everything is subject to that (except, I think, prescription medications.) Food, you name it. In addition, any local option tax that is perceived as not having to be paid by local folks is an easy target to get increased on a referendum, as opposed to the regular local sales tax which locals pay. Hotel tax, for example, averages about 20% and up across the state, from what I've seen staying in other parts of it. There are also special amusement taxes on things like movie tickets that you don't normally see because it's rolled into the price AND, at least in the area I'm from, the price starts out a bit cheaper so it comes out about the same as elsewhere.

In a place like Pigeon Forge where the economy is almost entirely generated by tourism, it's easy for the locals, who get to vote on referendums, to simply pass on the charge for infrastructure to transients. In that special case it may even be rather fair, considering how much of the infrastructure is needed because of tourism.

Pikers. Chicago, Illinois and Cook county have all of those taxes, with sales taxes to 9.75% depending on how greedy the local town is, plus a 3% state income tax. There's an 13% surtax on tobacco so a box of cigars get taxed at 22% or more. Daley also has the "tax duh guys who can't vote against you" 18% surtax on car rentals, also hotels, restaurant bills downtown, soda pop.

Zoemboy's gotta pay for all of dose cronies on da payroll in the "Da city dat works."

The new county board president added 100s of pals to 100K+ jobs in the county and then sent dismissal letters to 100s of doctors and nurses at county hospital because of the budget pressure.

Pikers. Chicago, Illinois and Cook county have all of those taxes, with sales taxes to 9.75% depending on how greedy the local town is, plus a 3% state income tax. There's an 13% surtax on tobacco so a box of cigars get taxed at 22% or more. Daley also has the "tax duh guys who can't vote against you" 18% surtax on car rentals, also hotels, restaurant bills downtown, soda pop.

Zoemboy's gotta pay for all of dose cronies on da payroll in the "Da city dat works."

The new county board president added 100s of pals to 100K+ jobs in the county and then sent dismissal letters to 100s of doctors and nurses at county hospital because of the budget pressure.

Ah, ok, some places are even worse.

Do they know that you write for a magazine that caters to people that like to travel? $$$$$

Ken: Can you challenge this through your creidt card company?
I had to do that once, and in the end they must not have wanted to argue with my CC company (Chase) as they gave up (U-Haul).

Back