Box 17 of the FAA Flight Plan

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, Box 17 says "Destination contact / phone (optional)".

I've always put the destination FBO name and my cell number, or the name and number where I'd be staying, etc. How about you?

But then I'm reading the FAR/AIM 2007 today, and what I've been writing in that field is NOT what the FAA is looking for when they say "destination contact" (my cell number is okay for the phone number):

http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/Chap5/aim0501.html#o$A6eROBE said:
17. Block 17. Record the FSS name for closing the flight plan. If the flight plan is closed with a different FSS or facility, state the recorded FSS name that would normally have closed your flight plan.

NOTE-
1. Optional- record a destination telephone number to assist search and rescue contact should you fail to report or cancel your flight plan within 1/2 hour after your estimated time of arrival (ETA).

And to think I almost skipped reading over all that detail! I was thinking "I already know what goes in those boxes!", then I thought "that's the dangerous kind of thinking--'I know it already'", so I went ahead and read it and learned something new.

They want me to write in the NAME OF THE FSS that covers the area where my destination airport is.... presumably because that is who I would have closed my flight plan with.

Troy Whistman said:
OK, Box 17 says "Destination contact / phone (optional)".

I've always put the destination FBO name and my cell number, or the name and number where I'd be staying, etc. How about you?

But then I'm reading the FAR/AIM 2007 today, and what I've been writing in that field is NOT what the FAA is looking for when they say "destination contact" (my cell number is okay for the phone number):

And to think I almost skipped reading over all that detail! I was thinking "I already know what goes in those boxes!", then I thought "that's the dangerous kind of thinking--'I know it already'", so I went ahead and read it and learned something new.

They want me to write in the NAME OF THE FSS that covers the area where my destination airport is.... presumably because that is who I would have closed my flight plan with.

I could be wrong but I think that what you've been using qualifies for the "option" in the instructions. A phone # that can be used to confirm that you have arrived could be the FBO (assuming they are open), your own cell (provided you turn it on after landing), or a number at whatever place (motel, frend's home etc) you would likely be at after landing and securing the plane.

I agree; I think of that box from the standpoint of its purpose and I've always figured they want the best way to track you or the airplane down if you fail to cancel.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I agree; I think of that box from the standpoint of its purpose and I've always figured they want the best way to track you or the airplane down if you fail to cancel.

That does make sense, doesn't it? I mean, why list the FAA FSS facility name of the destination? If you CLOSED your flight plan with that FSS, they wouldn't need the info. If you didn't, they can tell what FSS you would have used from the Destination airport info. So I'll just keep putting in what I used to...

It might have to do with that box being designed in a pre-computer era?
Where they would have had to call everyone and their dog to find any evidence of you in the 60s, and now, (ostensibly) they might just check their computers to see if any fss has a record of you.

Back