Boston recommendations

scit106

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
scit106
I'm planning a trip out to Boston next week, and was looking for airport advice. Here's my dilemma:

I need access to the T. I know I can do this from KBED or KBOS, but both are Massport controlled, which means $$$ and pain. All other airports are probably harder to get to with public transit, but probably not as difficult to deal with. Also, I do have a SIDA badge for KBED because I took flying lessons there during the school year... although I feel like that doesn't really help me to avoid fees and such. Ideas/ recommendations/ experiences?

Also I'll probably be stopping at KHPN on the way. It looks like panorama is the place to be there, but I'm open to other thoughts too.

Thanks!

Scott try Norwood KOWD. I think Gary Shelby from POA flies in there and has no issue getting the T into boston. KBOS is going to be expensive and I don't like KBED as they treated me like crap there. I hear good things about Norwood.

I'm planning a trip out to Boston next week, and was looking for airport advice. Here's my dilemma:

I need access to the T. I know I can do this from KBED or KBOS, but both are Massport controlled, which means $$$ and pain. All other airports are probably harder to get to with public transit, but probably not as difficult to deal with. Also, I do have a SIDA badge for KBED because I took flying lessons there during the school year... although I feel like that doesn't really help me to avoid fees and such. Ideas/ recommendations/ experiences?

Also I'll probably be stopping at KHPN on the way. It looks like panorama is the place to be there, but I'm open to other thoughts too.

Thanks!

I'm based at KBED. I wouldn't recommend it for transients. Ma$$port is
not at all friendly to transients.

I would recommend Norwood. Note that they had Avis car rental
available there.

Thanks for the advice. Here's the thing, although I am qualified to rent an airplane and fly it across the country by myself, I'm still not old enough to rent a car. So T access is a must. Any experience with the commuter rail out of Norwood?

Thanks for the advice. Here's the thing, although I am qualified to rent an airplane and fly it across the country by myself, I'm still not old enough to rent a car. So T access is a must. Any experience with the commuter rail out of Norwood?

Commuter rail station is a 10 minute cab ride (or the FBO guy runs you over if he's not busy). The gas station across the street from the rail station sells tickets. About 40-50 minutes from Norwood to Back Bay/South Station. Pretty good way to get downtown.

Gary

It looks like there's an MBTA station right near KFIT. Google maps shows it as 1.5 miles from the FBO.

You will need to check the train schedule for that line. I don't think it runs all day.

If your choices are KBED or KBOS I would definitely pick KBED. Coincidentally I am currently typing on the computer at Signature KBED. I asked the CSR some questions about fees for single engine airplanes. She told me that there is a $15 parking fee per 24 hour period and a $28 handling charge which can be waived by buying 7 gallons of fuel at $6.48/gal. Massport will eventually bill you $10. I don't know how this compares with Jet Aviation KBED or Signature KBOS. I would pick KBED just for the ease of getting in and out. There was only one other airplane in the pattern when we landed. Also, I don't like Signature KBOS because you usually need to take a van out to the airplane. I'm not sure where they even park small airplanes. You also need to go through a kind of "security". Our airplane here at KBED is parked about 20 steps from the door although that is probably because we are only here for a few hours.

She also said that there is 50 cent per gallon discount on the weekends if that helps.

Last edited:
Scott try Norwood KOWD. I hear good things about Norwood.

Though not related to OP's thread title, I like the endorsement of Norwood.
That operation has been selected to be the FBO at the new Brunswick, Maine GA airport formerly known as Brunswick Naval Air Station.
My base Wiscasset KIWI is about 5nm left of the upper left corner of the photo.

HR

Attachments

• Naval Air Station Brunswick.jpg
    Naval Air Station Brunswick.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 6
Back