Bose X vs A20

I love my A20. on a recent flight, with the kids on isolate, i could still hear them talking in the back of the plane.

Just curious how the uflymic works in the Cessna's?

It works great in much higher noise environments so I would imagine it would be fantastic in any Cessna. I personally have not used it in a Cessna though.

I would say its 80% of an A20 for about 50% cost.

Apparently, the Intercom System is a Stereo Intercom in the Piper Sport I am flying. PS Engineering PM3000 intercom. Now, it says that it comes in a 4 Place and six place version. The Piper Sport is only a 2 place plane. It also says it has a music input. Makes me wonder where it is? My original instructor played music on one of our XC flights. I didn't pay attention to how he piped the music in. I wonder if there is an input jack hidden somewhere?

The input is above one of the headset jacks.

The input is above one of the headset jacks.

I found it. Thank you!

The ANR was amazing. Turned them on, and wow! It was so quiet! Didn't even to ice them the whole check ride. ATC was definitely clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Its perfect, and to be honest the only way to really sell a headset over a grand. No interest payments from any credit/debit card is such a nice way to go.

No defined interest payment. There is plenty of profit built into the price. I'm betting Bose calculates the interest at the highest legal rate and deducts it from their taxes as a promotional expense.

Well its the same price whether you do a payment plan or not so I am not sure they are increasing the end price of the headset to account for that. What I do think is that Bose inflates the price for the name so high that it all works out.

Well its the same price whether you do a payment plan or not so I am not sure they are increasing the end price of the headset to account for that. What I do think is that Bose inflates the price for the name so high that it all works out.

They don't have to change the price to come out ahead. If I buy at $1000 cash, then the cash gets reported against cost and you have taxable income. If I pay them $1000 in 10 payments, then they also get to deduct the 'cost of money' they financed it with.

They don't have to change the price to come out ahead. If I buy at $1000 cash, then the cash gets reported against cost and you have taxable income. If I pay them $1000 in 10 payments, then they also get to deduct the 'cost of money' they financed it with.

Not to mention the increased profit they make by allowing people to pay in installments. I probably would not have bought them, or purchased them anytime soon, or maybe have just purchased a used pair, if it had not been for the installments.

I had sold my A20s a while ago but I am going to order a pair probably tomorrow or the next day. I like the fact you can move the mic over to the right side for when I am sitting right seat.

Not to mention the increased profit they make by allowing people to pay in installments. I probably would not have bought them, or purchased them anytime soon, or maybe have just purchased a used pair, if it had not been for the installments.

Yep. I was going to buy a pair anyways, but then likely a pair of lightspeed sierras for the wife... now we're considering getting another A20 for the very reason you mentioned.

Yep. I was going to buy a pair anyways, but then likely a pair of lightspeed sierras for the wife... now we're considering getting another A20 for the very reason you mentioned.

Skip the Sierra. I'm not happy enough with the overall build quality to recommend them over the Zulu2. Both have the same (excellent ANR). One is plastic, the other is metal. Go big if you're going Lightspeed and bump to the Zulu.

Now that you mention it, I see a thread devoted to UFly Mike back in 2010. If I needed another headset, I think I would get it.

I guess the UFly is okay. Just hope the batteries don't die while you're in the soup and getting a re-route. There's no warning (other than a flashing light you can't see while wearing them), and if the batteries do die, the whole set dies (no talking and no hearing).

Bose said:
WARNING: Except in case of emergency, Bose recommends
that you NOT use these headphones as aviation
communication headsets because:
• No incoming audio will be heard with a discharged
or improperly installed battery. This could result in
the potential of missed communications while piloting
an aircraft.
• Extremely loud ambient noise levels common to many
propeller-driven aircraft may impair your ability to
receive incoming audio communications, particularly
during takeoff and climb out.
• The QuietComfort 15 headphones are not engineered
for noise conditions, altitude, temperature or other
environmental conditions common in non-commercial
aircraft, resulting in possible interference to critical
communications.

Yeah, right. And they also get to sell the hydrogen that is generated by the process.

I guess the UFly is okay. Just hope the batteries don't die while you're in the soup and getting a re-route. There's no warning (other than a flashing light you can't see while wearing them), and if the batteries do die, the whole set dies (no talking and no hearing).

Well, if you stay on top of it, it shouldn't be a problem. If you look at the battery before you fly and it isn't blinking, chances are no airplane you are flying will fly long enough for that battery will die as it flashes at about 5 hours of battery life left. If you do fly a plane that will fly longer than that, you can monitor it like anything else.

I wish the Bose A20 worked for me. I fly a Pitts S-2C. I tried a new A20 and it buxxed, crackled and popped at full power. So bad I took it off completely. I called Bose and they told me it was not designed for a loud airplane. what the hell??? If I had a quiet airplane I wouldn't need them. My 172 is so quiet i can fly without a headset and use the ceiling speaker and hand mic if I want. So the David Clark passives are best for me....

pssst...

if the 172 feels so quiet that headsets aren't needed, maybe all that Pitts noise has had some negative on one's hearing. ;)

And with regards to noise, the X is a "lightweight" headset with minimal clamping at the ear seal for comfort, and the noise circuit can get overwhelmed when the cockpit gets really loud. The "Princess Leia" Lightspeed 3G and prior design seemed to seal out the really loud noises better, even if the ANR wasn't quite as good. They're getting pretty cheap now, as well.

I find my Mooney overwhelms my X and Zulu on takeoff too, in particular if the ear seals aren't really well set. Glasses don't help either.

Just tossing out a review:

I have been using the ASA Headset since I was a student until now, that was about 140hrs. Today I did my first flight with the A20. Holy crap.

With just passive protection the volume was about the same, but the comfort was vastly different. I logged just under 5hrs of flying today (second longest I've done in one day) and I feel far better than I normally do after even 1.5hrs.

Then, with the engines started I turned on the active noise reduction. Experiencing that for the first time was... awesome in the original definition of the word. The sound of the engines faded out so smoothly and rapidly that I thought they had shut down. It was the same experience as when an instructor pulls the engine to idle to simulate a shutdown. Wow.

I strongly recommend an ANR headset to anyone using passive only. For the comfort I can only comment on the A20, which is amazing.

/drooling
Steven

Steven, your reaction to ANR is pretty typical. I feel like everyone would react that way if they tried it. I will never understand why people will choose passive over ANR.

Yep I pretty much had the same reaction with mine. I do miss how light the Clarity Aloft that I was using previously were, but this is great. Especially listening to music on XC's. The other downsides include wearing foggles/sunglasses with them, but that's with any clamp style headset.

Just ordered my A20's as well. Hell of a deal w/ the 12 month financing!

Valid point. If cell phones don't work / can't be used in flight, what's the point of having headsets with the BT phone profile? Using a cable for music is not a deal breaker for me, so I'll probably still buy 'em, but now I'm wondering about saving $100 and buying the non-bluetooth version.

If your IFR rated its nice to use BT with cell phone connection to get your clearance on the ground and never take your headset off. Also nice for the wife to call for a taxi while still in the pattern.

Gene

Back