Bose X vs A20

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I hear the A20 is drastically better from X, is that so? if not would 1/2 the price of A20 would the X be better?

The A20 is an improvement for sure. Just keep in mind that the X is a 10 year old design. Why not just do the payment plan and get the A20?

The answer is that if you already own an X you have no incentive to purchase an A20 but otherwise yes - consider it. The X was expensive when I bought it but it has been 8 years now.

it was a good move.

I've flown with the BoseX for a few years now (bought it used from a friend in mint condition for less than $500) and have also flown with the A20, an excellent headset! If you don't need the bluetooth and music bells and whistles, which I don't, since I connect those into the audio system, the BoseX is, for me, excellent. YMMV

The A20 is an improvement for sure. Just keep in mind that the X is a 10 year old design. Why not just do the payment plan and get the A20?

...doing that now I had no idea they had a payment plan. Thanks!

The answer is that if you already own an X you have no incentive to purchase an A20 but otherwise yes - consider it. The X was expensive when I bought it but it has been 8 years now.

it was a good move.

I agree. I have the X, and my CFII has the A20. His are awesome, expecially with BT, but not enough for me to justify replacing my X. I used to wear borrowed David Clarks when I was training for PPL. Stepping up to the X was dramatic. I don't know if I'd feel the same stepping up to the A20.

Right now the A20 has zero interest AND you get a free noise cancelling set of headphones. I wish I had that deal when I bought mine! And if you buy 2 your second is 10 or 20% off (don't remember) - again I wish we would have had that deal when we got ours 6 months ago.

I find the A20 is much more comfortable for me than the X. I had a Lightspeed Zulu and then switched to the A20 last year. The ANR is really excellent on the A20.

...doing that now I had no idea they had a payment plan. Thanks!

Its perfect, and to be honest the only way to really sell a headset over a grand. No interest payments from any credit/debit card is such a nice way to go.

I agree. I have the X, and my CFII has the A20. His are awesome, expecially with BT, but not enough for me to justify replacing my X. I used to wear borrowed David Clarks when I was training for PPL. Stepping up to the X was dramatic. I don't know if I'd feel the same stepping up to the A20.

Once you are using a upper quality ANR, the differences are not going to be mind blowing as far as quality. The X is still a contender, it is far better than ANY DC ANR headset, and is really better than any other ANR headset with the exception of the Lightspeed Zulu, Zulu 2 and the A20.

Why did you all have to tell me about the payment plan? My wallet just spontaneously combusted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Once you are using a upper quality ANR, the differences are not going to be mind blowing as far as quality. The X is still a contender, it is far better than ANY DC ANR headset, and is really better than any other ANR headset with the exception of the Lightspeed Zulu, Zulu 2 and the A20.

The david clarks were the old fashioned passive style, not even ANR. It was like stepping out of the stone age, and my ears don't feel like they're being clamped with a vice.

Oh don't even get me started on passive headsets. They should be banned! They don't call em David Clamps for nuttin' :p

Oh don't even get me started on passive headsets. They should be banned! They don't call em David Clamps for nuttin' :p

I like my David Clamps. I do not have any problems with hearing in them. My longest time wearing them has been 2.7 hours straight without discomfort from the headset.
This doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy the Bose headset.

On to the payment plan. I already have a pair of Bose headphones. I wish I could tell them to keep them, and give me some dollars off the A20.

Why did you all have to tell me about the payment plan? My wallet just spontaneously combusted!

Indeed. Discussing with my wife weather we should get a pair for her as well (since she's my main passenger). We were going to buy a pair of zulus or a20s outright to begin with, the 0% over 6 months is... just plain sweet.

I've been using some... not too sure what they are, passive generics. I'm looking forward to the difference.

Damn this thread. A20 on order. Now, I have to find someone to buy the free included headphones.

Damn this thread. A20 on order. Now, I have to find someone to buy the free included headphones.

I have 2 sets, my wife was upset about spending the money, until she flew with them.

They're going for about $125 on eBay.

Anyone have any idea how long the financing offer will last? 12 months same as cash is too good to pass up, but I'm not starting training until about 6 weeks from now, so I'd rather wait a month before ordering.

The fact that you can't do bluetooth music on a A20 is a total deal breaker to me. Makes no sense.

The fact that you can't do bluetooth music on a A20 is a total deal breaker to me. Makes no sense.

I can wire into the radio panel or you can plug into the headset, I dislike music while flying so its a non issue for me but I don't understand why they didn't put a Bluetooth profile on them unless a lawyer got involved.

Valid point. If cell phones don't work / can't be used in flight, what's the point of having headsets with the BT phone profile? Using a cable for music is not a deal breaker for me, so I'll probably still buy 'em, but now I'm wondering about saving $100 and buying the non-bluetooth version.

I get all the music I need (which isn't much) on XM through the 696. Bose X handles the job quite well.

Valid point. If cell phones don't work / can't be used in flight, what's the point of having headsets with the BT phone profile? Using a cable for music is not a deal breaker for me, so I'll probably still buy 'em, but now I'm wondering about saving $100 and buying the non-bluetooth version.

Cell phones work fine in flight. I use mine in airplane mode for music, the calculator function etc. There is zero evidence that Bluetooth, and WIFI have any issues in flight. Hence why manufacturers like Aspen incorporate Bluetooth into their avionics, and why WIFI is on board a bunch of commercial, and biz jet aircraft.

I was specifically referring to the phone part of the cell phone. I know I can use my iPhone for music or whatever in flight. But I can't use the phone portion of my phone (because it doesn't work, because it's illegal, and because it's unsafe). The Bose A20 Bluetooth implementation only supports the phone profile (not stereo music) so I can't use the A20 Bluetooth link for music.

I guess my question is: how often do pilots make cellphone calls on the ground with the engine running, and is there another application of the A20 Bluetooth implementation that I am missing?

The only reason a cell-phone won't work in flight while wearing a headset is that the phone is too heavy and falls out while you're using it. Even a Bose X will nicely hold an iphone in place when you slip it under the ear-pad.

I was specifically referring to the phone part of the cell phone. I know I can use my iPhone for music or whatever in flight. But I can't use the phone portion of my phone (because it doesn't work, because it's illegal, and because it's unsafe). The Bose A20 Bluetooth implementation only supports the phone profile (not stereo music) so I can't use the A20 Bluetooth link for music.

I guess my question is: how often do pilots make cellphone calls on the ground with the engine running, and is there another application of the A20 Bluetooth implementation that I am missing?

It isn't unsafe, and it does work depending on altitude. The legality of it depends. The FCC banned the use of phones on the 800Mhz band, but that band is quickly becoming a thing of the past. The FCC is more in control of that.

I have used my phone on the ground and it just makes it easier when its piped through the headset. In an emergency it would, and could be a great tool to help solve a situation.

Picking up an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled field over the phone. I do it about once a month.

It isn't unsafe, and it does work depending on altitude. The legality of it depends. The FCC banned the use of phones on the 800Mhz band, but that band is quickly becoming a thing of the past. The FCC is more in control of that.

I have used my phone on the ground and it just makes it easier when its piped through the headset. In an emergency it would, and could be a great tool to help solve a situation.

What frequency is the Verizon CDMA bands? My phone says it has lte/CDMA/gsm/umts. It is 3G and 4g. Not that I want to make calls in flight. My thought however is if I was visiting a friend, and getting close. I may want to call and say, hey x# minutes out.

Anyways, was told my headset has arrived at the office, and is sitting on my desk. Woohoo. Going to test them out on my check ride.

I cant remember what bands VZW uses in the US. CDMA is the VZW network in the US. GSM is the 850, 1700 bands if I remember correctly that AT&T uses.

In possession of my BOSE A20. Get to use them on my Check Ride.
I changed the setting to stereo, will this play the mono intercom out both ears? I left it on the auto off function. Recommend turning this on?

In possession of my BOSE A20. Get to use them on my Check Ride.
I changed the setting to stereo, will this play the mono intercom out both ears? I left it on the auto off function. Recommend turning this on?

Typically stereo will not work well in a mono aircraft. Depends on the intercom, the jack wiring, etc.

Auto off is personal preference. It'll save your batteries when you toss the headset on the seat and head inside the restaurant for a $200 hamburger.

Typically stereo will not work well in a mono aircraft. Depends on the intercom, the jack wiring, etc.

Auto off is personal preference. It'll save your batteries when you toss the headset on the seat and head inside the restaurant for a $200 hamburger.

Apparently, the Intercom System is a Stereo Intercom in the Piper Sport I am flying. PS Engineering PM3000 intercom. Now, it says that it comes in a 4 Place and six place version. The Piper Sport is only a 2 place plane. It also says it has a music input. Makes me wonder where it is? My original instructor played music on one of our XC flights. I didn't pay attention to how he piped the music in. I wonder if there is an input jack hidden somewhere?

I wish the Bose A20 worked for me. I fly a Pitts S-2C. I tried a new A20 and it buxxed, crackled and popped at full power. So bad I took it off completely. I called Bose and they told me it was not designed for a loud airplane. what the hell??? If I had a quiet airplane I wouldn't need them. My 172 is so quiet i can fly without a headset and use the ceiling speaker and hand mic if I want. So the David Clark passives are best for me....

I have used the A20 in the S2c a few times and at ful power on takeoff it wasn't until cruise that it stopped. Using a Perone leather helmet helps a lot as the A20 has sealing issues more so than the Zulu/Zulu2. Once at an ok altitude at 25/25 the A20 seemed to handle the Pitts OK. In the Beech 99 which is the loudest plane I have flown. The Zulu 2 would handle the initial takeoff power and climb better than the A20, but at cruise the A20 was quieter.

That's what I use and I swear by it. Our company won't let us use metal cuped headsets for fear of scratching the windshield so I use either my A20 or Bose QC15/UFlyMike. The UFlyMike has little to no clamp, is lighter and the ANR quality is superb. I use it more than the A20 by a longshot when I fly for work.

Back