Bose X headset question

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
How much would you pay for a 7 year old, excellent condition Bose X ANR headset with approx. 250 hours on it? Someone is selling one and holding firm at $500 ... I'm trying to figure out if that's a decent deal or not. Thanks.

I'm seeing prices ranging from $150 to $500 on Fleabay. Definately at the high end of the range. $250 seems to get you a complete set with case.

But to answer your question, probably $300.

Thanks. My biggest concern is that even though they were well taken care of and not used a whole lot, they still are 7 years old. Not sure what impact that has on all the electronic components. I mean, the economy was firing 7 years ago, GW Bush was just starting his second term as President, I was graduating from college, and the iPhone hadn't been invented yet! Long time ago the more I think about it.

Mine are at least ten years old. All I've done to it in last nine years since I've had them is replace the ear seals and get a standard jack adaptor. Other than that they work as good as new. They are made pretty solid.

The electronics don't fail. What fails is the support. If Bose is still selling ear seals, mic muffs, cables, etc... the electronics don't matter.

I've got electronics older than I am, in harsher environments, still operational.

I Bose sold more then 5 of them, I am sure there is some Chinese company that will accommodate you.

I bought my last set of replacement ear seals off of fleabay and they were direct shipped from the Philippines, looked exactly like the ones I got from Bose! Back to the OP's question, I have 4 Bose X's, two I bought new in 07 the other two I bought used when my son started flying. I paid $500.00 for one set 2 years ago as a Christmas gift, it was like new. The last set needed ear seals and I paid $300.00 from a guy that had quit flying. Anything between $300-400 I would consider a good deal, I thought I got a great deal one my last pair.:D

Somewhere around $350 - $400 is probably typical sales price for a working good condition set. The $500 ones have to be pretty pristine, and I'd want to know the seller and try the headset before plopping down a premium price for a used set.. The issue is probably not degradation of the electronics (the headband and ear pads are not very $$ to replace) as much as how much has headset technology improved since the 7 year old head set was manufactured with a 12 or 14 year old design.

Personally, I'd buy another QT Halo before I bought a 7 year old Bose, not because there is anything wrong with a 7 year old head set, but I find the Halos much more comfortable. The difference in cost would buy 23 gallons of 100LL, about a quarter of the Mooney's full fuel capacity of 117 G. Sigh. It's sad to think I could be carrying around $700 worth of fuel. I am flying less because of the fuel cost. Sorry, I digress.

Back