Bose A20 mike not as good as the X mike

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
I have just got the A20. The noise reduction is very much better than the X - the airplane sounds like a turboprop now :) Comfort-wise it is perhaps a slight improvement. I do like the way the earcups do not meet up when the headset is stowed away; this used to damage the old ones through constant compression.

But the mike appears to be a lot worse. I have tried adjusting (bending) it carefully so it is close to my mouth and this helps a bit. But from own feedback and also from ATC feedback, the X is clearer.

I wonder if perhaps Bose are up to their old trick of shipping duff mikes. I got four X headsets around 2002-2003. There was nothing to compare them with, but I did not like having to have the mike almost in one's mouth... Then about 2006 I tried a brand new X which a friend had, and I was amazed how much better the mike was. This was confirmed by trying one at an exhibition stand. Then I discovered that Bose shipped thousands of low-output mikes in the early 2000s; according to a Bose dealer / repair shop this was widely known and the output is about 1/2 of what it should be. I took my four headsets to the shop and they measured the mikes in front of me on a tester; all four were the duff type. I then discovered that Bose ran a very long free exchange period for these mikes, but only in the USA; here in the UK they washed their hands of them after ~ 2 years. So I paid 4 x $200 to "upgrade" the mikes. I sold the old mikes on U.S. Ebay; presumably some American pilot was able to swap them under the Bose US-only warranty.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the mike quality of the A20 v. the X?

The intercom is a PS 7000 which should be a good one.

I have 2 Bose A20's and the mike is MUCH BETTER than the X's mike. They are a little hotter than the X's were, so now I do not have to set the side tone or mike gain on the G1000 GMA set up, like I did with the X's.

I got my A20 about a month ago. Upgraded after having the X for over 4 years. Just wrote up a Bose A20 vs Bose X review a couple days ago. I have the PS PMA8000b audio panel.

Funny that you mention the mic issue. I might have experienced the same thing. It was not in the forefront of my mind until you mentioned it. But now, looking back on the last month, there have been several controllers that have said they've had a hard time understanding/hearing me. Typically this was remedied by speaking 50% louder than usual. And! On Monday, I used the hardwired plug to make a call -twice- to pick up my clearance and they said it was unintelligible. It was loud and crystal clear to me, so I don't think it was a bad cell connection. A call w/o using the headphones was perfect.

Now... all that being said... they are going back for repair. Seems a short has developed along the cord near the ear cup. (I switched sides and still get the problem when I wiggle the cord or my head).

Could this short be the crux of my mic problems, or could it be a duff mic? Hmmmm.

Well in a few weeks (huge back order for replacements) I'll have a new one and I'll see if I get more "say again, can't hear you" from ATC

I got my A20 about a month ago. Upgraded after having the X for over 4 years. Just wrote up a Bose A20 vs Bose X review a couple days ago. I have the PS PMA8000b audio panel.

Funny that you mention the mic issue. I might have experienced the same thing. It was not in the forefront of my mind until you mentioned it. But now, looking back on the last month, there have been several controllers that have said they've had a hard time understanding/hearing me. Typically this was remedied by speaking 50% louder than usual. And! On Monday, I used the hardwired plug to make a call -twice- to pick up my clearance and they said it was unintelligible. It was loud and crystal clear to me, so I don't think it was a bad cell connection. A call w/o using the headphones was perfect.

Now... all that being said... they are going back for repair. Seems a short has developed along the cord near the ear cup. (I switched sides and still get the problem when I wiggle the cord or my head).

Could this short be the crux of my mic problems, or could it be a duff mic? Hmmmm.

Well in a few weeks (huge back order for replacements) I'll have a new one and I'll see if I get more "say again, can't hear you" from ATC

Bob, I want to tell you that you have a great aviation blog!

I took the A20 to the UK Bose dealer (who happens to be based at my airport) and they tested the mike and say it has the same output as a new X.

So there doesn't seem to be a sensitivity issue.

I then went back to the airplane and, on the ground and in silence, did another comparison of the two, but this time with the A20's mike very carefully adjusted for position. It sounded fine this time, and a radio check with ATC reported both equally good.

Flight test will be next...

I agree with your (LuvFlying) view on the attenuation. It does make the IO540 sound like a PT6 :) Well not quite but certainly higher pitch and much smoother. Of course, with the X already being the best, the A20 completely wipes the other competition off the floor.

BTW, in case anybody from the UK reads this, the Bose dealer told me they have no spares yet and no means to service it. If something needs doing, the only option is a new headset sent out by Bose UK.

Bob, I want to tell you that you have a great aviation blog!
Thanks!

BTW, in case anybody from the UK reads this, the Bose dealer told me they have no spares yet and no means to service it. If something needs doing, the only option is a new headset sent out by Bose UK.
When I called (Bose directly) yesterday to make a swap, I got the same thing. Very much backordered. Warranty claims are in front of sales, but there is still up to a 4 week wait to get the replacement.

So, Peter... your test, and what John tells us is promising. I hope what I experienced lies with the cord.

Back