Book question

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
What would be a good book to use through part 61 ground school? Perhaps one best suited for Sportys ground school?
Is there a so called holy grail book for prospective pilots to learn about the ins and outs of flying and piloting?

Doesn't your school have recommendations?

Start with the free ones, like the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and the Airplane Flying Handbook.
Just recommended. I should have asked… Would Rod Machados private pilot book be a good all around in addition to the ones you’ve mentioned?

Just recommended. I should have asked… Would Rod Machados private pilot book be a good all around in addition to the ones you’ve mentioned?
If you can stand the humor.

For the free FAA handbooks, add the new Aviation Weather Handbook to the list.

The FAA books are free and pretty darn good.

Machado's gonna get old faster than you can finish the material. Imagine watching a stale episode of Home Improvement on loop.

If you like collegiate-style books, the Jeppesen was always decent, no idea if it's current or not.

I thought Sporty's was lousy, both PPL and IFR.

$0.02. Go to a nearby pilot shop and thumb through them all, and see if one speaks to your deeps. :D

Doesn't your school have recommendations?

Start with the free ones, like the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, and the Airplane Flying Handbook.
What would be a good book to use through part 61 ground school? Perhaps one best suited for Sportys ground school?
Is there a so called holy grail book for prospective pilots to learn about the ins and outs of flying and piloting?
My aviation library, not all of them. I have some at home I am studying for my AP cert.
Like what was said above, find out who books the school wants to use and try to use them. I like Gleim. I studied ASA to get my PPL.
IMG_0013.JPG

If you're a CFI, you should consider signing up for a free account at Gold Seal. It gives you 100% full access to everything. And if you decide to use it with your students, student monitoring and reporting is built right in. We have over 3,000 instructors with us currently. This link for more details:

https://GroundSchool.com/instructors

I have a couple of Machado's books and for me Rod is a little too wordy. He gives a lot more details than you really need. His stuff is nice to have for when you want to explore some specific topic, but it's a bit much for a primary training reference.

To start, just get the PHAK and the AFH, either as a free PDF download or a purchased print copy, plus the latest edition of the FAR/AIM. Study those and then start doing practice exams. If you feel the need, then add on another book or two. (I have completely filled a bookcase and have dozens more books stacked on top of it.) But for right now, those should be plenty to keep you busy. There's nothing on the Private Pilot written exam that can't be found in the PHAK, AFH, and FAR/AIM.

I see that, surprisingly, no one has yet mentioned Stick and Rudder, so I won't either.

Last edited:
For PPL ground:
- PHAK available on PDF through FAA
- Sporty's ground course
- FAR-AIM book

Separately, the benefit of buying the FAR-AIM book is that if you ever need to bludgeon someone to death in a pinch, that has enough heft to get the job done!

If you're a CFI, you should consider signing up for a free account at Gold Seal. It gives you 100% full access to everything. And if you decide to use it with your students, student monitoring and reporting is built right in. We have over 3,000 instructors with us currently. This link for more details:

https://GroundSchool.com/instructors

Russ.... is a CFI prep course on the wish list?

I'm getting additional requests to help local folk with that. Having them engage in something you and perhaps Todd S. collaborated on would be a good thing.

Russ.... is a CFI prep course on the wish list?

I'm getting additional requests to help local folk with that. Having them engage in something you and perhaps Todd S. collaborated on would be a good thing.
Hey there, Mike. We're elbows deep into our new commercial program at the moment, but yes, CFI prep is on the list. We have worked with Todd off and on for many years and one of our inhouse instructors specializes in training CFI candidates.

Hey there, Mike. We're elbows deep into our new commercial program at the moment, but yes, CFI prep is on the list. We have worked with Todd off and on for many years and one of our inhouse instructors specializes in training CFI candidates.
Awesome.... add to list of folks available for beta testing if you need folks for that.

Back