Bonanza J35

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate

Goods and Bads?

Any Gotchas?

I think finding parts for some of the old 35's can be hard and expensive but I'm not sure. If you were serious about a plane like this I can give you the name and number of an FBO in kalamazoo. They specialize in Bonanza aircraft and the owner flys a 35.

The bargain Beech is the short-cabin, IO-470 powered J35 - M35 (1958-60) models. Two years ago we bought a low-time, pampered K35, and so far have been spending less on annuals and routine maintenance than we did on our Grumman Cheetah. The original engine was 250 hp; ours had been upgraded to a 260-hp IO-470-N. We added a used KNS-80 to make a decent IFR ship out of it.

Useful load is 900 lb; it carries 64 gallons usable (enough for PDX -PHX with one intermediate stop; PDX - MKC on two). We flight plan for 150 KTAS and 13 gph at 12,000 ft; actual cruise numbers are more like 155 KTAS and a hair under 12 gph.

(The 1958 J35 and the 1959 K35 are the same, except the K35's standard tanks hold ten more gallons, 50 vs. 40. and gross is 50 lb higher.)

Yes, Beech parts are expensive, but they don't break as often. I don't think there is any problem getting parts for Bonanzas of this vintage, whether through the factory, salvage dealers or otherwise.

Obviously the key was to find a basically sound airplane. Our Bonanza had been hangared and cared for by a doting owner for 33 years, so we were fortunate. If you find a good one, you have a quality, well-performing, comfortable machine, with unexcelled handling qualities. That's a pretty big "if," though, as there are a lot of dogs out there.

Used Bonanza prices go up sharply with the 1961 N35, which added the longer third window, hat shelf and larger tanks, and the 1962 P35, with the redesigned instrument panel. The 1964 S35 introduced the IO-520 and full-length baggage compartment, so its prices are higher still. There seems to be a premium on the prices of the straight-tail models, so that even the 225-hp Debonairs go for as much or more than higher-powered V-tails of similar vintage. The 10-inch-longer 36 series is the most expensive, though slightly slower than the 33's and 35's.

1961 and later models are easily loaded aft of allowable CG. The 33 and 36 series have similar concerns but to a somewhat lesser degree. Older models are not as bad in this regard; in fact, we often have to work at not being out of the forward CG limit. The difference is, in 1961 the fuel tanks were rearranged to put more fuel in the leading edges of the wings (so CG moves progressively aft as fuel is burned), while gross weights went up and baggage areas were extended further aft. The control harmony and feel of the Bonanza line are among the best in the sky. They are easy and satisfying to fly, and very easy to land.

There is little perceptible difference in handling between the V-tails and the straight-tails of similar weight and power, except many claim that the lateral oscillation in turbulence is worse in the V-tail than the others. No biggie, just a little pressure on one or both rudder pedals seems to dampen it. (I honestly think a V-tail's tail-wag is less than that of a T-tail Arrow, for example.) The greater difference in handling is between the early 35's and 33's on the one hand, and the later models with big engines and higher gross weights, on the other.

The IO-470 is a 1500-hour TBO engine. Ours seems to run smooth and cool (I try to climb at high airspeeds and usually cruise at high altitudes, where max power is 65% or less), with very little oil consumption. J35's can have many differrent kinds of propellers, including Beech, Hartzell and McCauley. Check for AD's, especially on the Hartzell.

It is highly recommended to join American Bonanza Society and/or World Beechcraft Association, for excellent information and resources. Recommended books include Those Incomparable Bonanzas by Larry A. Ball, and Flying the Beechcraft Bonanza by John Eckalbar.

For some photos and background of our airplane, see http://www.geocities.com/grumman365ps/bonanza1.html

-- Pilawt

Last edited:
(The 1958 J35 and the 1959 K35 are the same, except the K35's standard tanks hold ten more gallons, 50 vs. 40. and gross is 50 lb higher.)
Ewwww....40 gallon tanks. That's only a 2-1/2 hour IFR leg. Well, that answers that question. ***scccccccrrrrrrrratch***

N2212R said:
Ewwww....40 gallon tanks. That's only a 2-1/2 hour IFR leg. Well, that answers that question. ***scccccccrrrrrrrratch***

Add tip tanks? :)

Ed, whats up? I thought you were looking for a mooney??

Michael said:
Ed, whats up? I thought you were looking for a mooney??

Mooney owners think their planes are worth more than what they actually are ;)

N2212R said:

Well once you fly one, you will agree. Althogh, Nick found a heck of a good deal on a c that is still available in ABQ.

Ed why dont yopu just go ARROW , you know you like Pipers, Dave G

Shipoke said:
Ed why dont yopu just go ARROW , you know you like Pipers, Dave G

A Slow-row?

I do like Pipers, but they are a "dirty" plane. I'm not going to get 160kts from an Arrow. A Comanche maybe - but when I looked, insurance was a killer on those, something like 3 grand.

Michael said:
Well once you fly one, you will agree. Althogh, Nick found a heck of a good deal on a c that is still available in ABQ.

I sat in a C model - I could definitely tell the narrower cabin compared to mine.

N2212R said:
Negatory, good buddy. The 40 gallon figure refers only to the J35's main tanks ... most all of these airplanes also have the optional integral aux tanks that hold another 20, for a total of 60 (a little less than that usable). And as noted above, quite a few have tip tanks that hold even more. The two aux tanks (in the wings behind the forward spar, just outboard of the wheel wells) feed simultaneously, so the fuel selector has only three positions: left, aux, right. The fuel injection system draws about 10 gph more from the tanks than the engine uses. Excess fuel from the main tanks is returned to the tank it came from, but excess fuel from the aux tanks is sent back to the left main. So the drill is to use 45 min to an hour or so out of the left main, then go to the aux tanks, run 'em dry or nearly so (35-50 minutes worth depending on power setting), then you have more in the left than you did when you switched to the aux. The Models K35 and M35 hold 50 in the mains, plus 20 aux = 70 total. N35 and newer eliminated the aux tanks and changed to a two-tank system holding 80 gallons (that's why the landing lights were moved from the wing leading edges to the nose, to make room for the tanks). Don't give up on the Bonanzas so easily! -- Pilawt

Pilawt said:
The bargain Beech is the short-cabin, IO-470 powered J35 - M35 (1958-60) models. Two years ago we bought a low-time, pampered K35, and so far have been spending less on annuals and routine maintenance than we did on our Grumman Cheetah. The original engine was 250 hp; ours had been upgraded to a 260-hp IO-470-N. We added a used KNS-80 to make a decent IFR ship out of it.

Useful load is 900 lb; it carries 64 gallons usable (enough for PDX -PHX with one intermediate stop; PDX - MKC on two). We flight plan for 150 KTAS and 13 gph at 12,000 ft; actual cruise numbers are more like 155 KTAS and a hair under 12 gph.

Yes, Beech parts are expensive, but they don't break as often. I don't think there is any problem getting parts for Bonanzas of this vintage, whether through the factory, salvage dealers or otherwise.

Obviously the key was to find a basically sound airplane. Our Bonanza had been hangared and cared for by a doting owner for 33 years, so we were fortunate. If you find a good one, you have a quality, well-performing, comfortable machine, with unexcelled handling qualities. That's a pretty big "if," though, as there are a lot of dogs out there.

Used Bonanza prices go up sharply with the 1961 N35, which added the longer third window, hat shelf and larger tanks, and the 1962 P35, with the redesigned instrument panel. The 1964 S35 introduced the IO-520 and full-length baggage compartment, so its prices are higher still. There seems to be a premium on the prices of the straight-tail models, so that even the 225-hp Debonairs go for as much or more than higher-powered V-tails of similar vintage. The 10-inch-longer 36 series is the most expensive, though slightly slower than the 33's and 35's.

1961 and later models are easily loaded aft of allowable CG. The 33 and 36 series have similar concerns but to a somewhat lesser degree. Older models are not as bad in this regard; in fact, we often have to work at not being out of the forward CG limit. The difference is, in 1961 the fuel tanks were rearranged to put more fuel in the leading edges of the wings (so CG moves progressively aft as fuel is burned), while gross weights went up and baggage areas were extended further aft. The control harmony and feel of the Bonanza line are among the best in the sky. They are easy and satisfying to fly, and very easy to land.

There is little perceptible difference in handling between the V-tails and the straight-tails of similar weight and power, except many claim that the lateral oscillation in turbulence is worse in the V-tail than the others. No biggie, just a little pressure on one or both rudder pedals seems to dampen it. (I honestly think a V-tail's tail-wag is less than that of a T-tail Arrow, for example.) The greater difference in handling is between the early 35's and 33's on the one hand, and the later models with big engines and higher gross weights, on the other.

The IO-470 is a 1500-hour TBO engine. Ours seems to run smooth and cool (I try to climb at high airspeeds and usually cruise at high altitudes, where max power is 65% or less), with very little oil consumption. J35's can have many differrent kinds of propellers, including Beech, Hartzell and McCauley. Check for AD's, especially on the Hartzell.

It is highly recommended to join American Bonanza Society and/or World Beechcraft Association, for excellent information and resources. Recommended books include Those Incomparable Bonanzas by Larry A. Ball, and Flying the Beechcraft Bonanza by John Eckalbar.

For some photos and background of our airplane, see http://www.geocities.com/grumman365ps/bonanza1.html

-- Pilawt

Ed go for the Bo. Pilawt's post says it so well. I got to fly quite a few of the Bo's from the C35 to the V35B and the early 33 models. They are really forgiving with proper training that ABS does so well. They have been doing training clinics for many years. I went to my first one in 1961. The folks at ABS really are so helpful. Can't say enough about the Beech.

John

I have flown the entire bonanza lline, my favorite was a J model with Tip tanks, sold it to a friend of mine 35 years ago.

Two paint jobs, a new interior and and upgrade to IO520 later and he still has it. His airplane owning friends, specially the ones with the mooneys are green with envy at his operating costs.

you cant go wrong with a J model;

N2212R said:

That's okay, Beechcraft owners think their planes are worth more than they ever will be...;)

Back