Bois Blanc Island 6Y1

MyassisDragon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mr Fred
Just landed on this island after leaving MCD (Mackinac Island) this past weekend to scope it out for future overnight camping options.

Runway was in good condition, little FBO (unattended) was new and clean, the well pump worked for water.

I will call the airport manager for details regarding the camping and fire permit (apparently required) and will update this post, but meanwhile has anyone camped here and would be willing to share any other information or suggestions regarding overnight accommodations?

I have done some landings there, don't know much about it though. I have lived in Michigan for 9 months and have roughly 100 hours flying to different strips about half was out of Cheboygan which is right next to Bois. My favorite by a good margin was Northport (Woosley Memorial) You can probably do some camping there. Cool lighthouse not far away.

Drummond Island is pretty cool too. Golf carts go across the runway and the people there are extraordinarily different (in a good way)

I have done some landings there, don't know much about it though. I have lived in Michigan for 9 months and have roughly 100 hours flying to different strips about half was out of Cheboygan which is right next to Bois. My favorite by a good margin was Northport (Woosley Memorial) You can probably do some camping there. Cool lighthouse not far away.
Also, within easy walking distance from Woolsey is Leelanau State Park, so if they don't allow camping on the field, that's a likely option to check out as well.

And if you're into hiking, there's a network of excellent trails in the park.

North Fox Island primitive camping.

Many of the Northern Lake Michigan and Lake Huron islands have many ( a lot) of snakes. Don't be alarmed they are mostly small and all are harmless. The Missasauga Rattler:eek: found in Mi. is mostly in the Southern part of the State.

Back