Boing Boing sound from USB ports driving me nuts

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Ya know the Boing sound that a PC makes when you plug in or unplug something in the USB port? Well my Toshiba laptop won't stop making that damn noise. I don't use the USB port all that much but there are times when the Boing sound just keeps going and going even when nothing is being plugged in or unplugged. The only way I can stop it is by turning off the sound on the computer.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this issue. The USB ports still work fine when I plug something like a flash drive or camera into it. So all seems well there.

Ya know the Boing sound that a PC makes when you plug in or unplug something in the USB port? Well my Toshiba laptop won't stop making that damn noise. I don't use the USB port all that much but there are times when the Boing sound just keeps going and going even when nothing is being plugged in or unplugged. The only way I can stop it is by turning off the sound on the computer.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this issue. The USB ports still work fine when I plug something like a flash drive or camera into it. So all seems well there.

It it the connect sound, the disconnect sound, or both? (They're usually different.)

Also, is anything plugged in pretty much all the time (mouse, external drive, etc.)?

Is there a card reader; and if so, is there a card in it?

-Rich

Hmm, mine doesn't make that noise at all...

I'm no expert, but here's what I think will help:
Right click on the volume icon (bottom right, left of the clock) and select "sounds"
I personally don't like any of those stupid little notification noises, so I selected "no sounds" under the sound scheme drop-down menu. If you do still want a sound scheme, you can go down to the list under program events, and change the selections for "device connect", "device disconnect", and "device failed to connect."

Again, not 100% sure if any of this will work, but play around with it a bit, you can always undo it if it doesn't work.

In Windows, in the Sounds Control Panel, there is a way to assign sounds to different events, including no sound a'tall.

Just a thought... If it is making a continuous boing boing sound, there might be a problem. In other words, turning off the sound gets rid of the noise but doesn't solve the problem. It seems to be detecting a device over and over, which sounds like a defective device or cable. Un plug all USB devices (including keyboard and mouse) and plug them back in (slowly) one at a time, until the problem returns. That will tell you which device is the culprit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It it the connect sound, the disconnect sound, or both? (They're usually different.)

Also, is anything plugged in pretty much all the time (mouse, external drive, etc.)?

Is there a card reader; and if so, is there a card in it?

-Rich

Rich I can't really tell but if I had to guess I'd say disconnect but can't be positive. Nothing at all is plugged in and no CD in the drive.

Hmm, mine doesn't make that noise at all...

I'm no expert, but here's what I think will help:
Right click on the volume icon (bottom right, left of the clock) and select "sounds"
I personally don't like any of those stupid little notification noises, so I selected "no sounds" under the sound scheme drop-down menu. If you do still want a sound scheme, you can go down to the list under program events, and change the selections for "device connect", "device disconnect", and "device failed to connect."

Again, not 100% sure if any of this will work, but play around with it a bit, you can always undo it if it doesn't work.

In Windows, in the Sounds Control Panel, there is a way to assign sounds to different events, including no sound a'tall.

Thanks guys, as much as the sound drives me nuts. its only because it can be incessant at certain times. Right now as I type this there is no sound at all. The sound does not occur all the time but when it does it will keep going. When I'm actually plugging something in or disconnecting it doesn't bother me. Turning the sound off seems to be a bit like sweeping the dirt under the carpet so you don't see it. Better to clean the dirt up.

Something is not right. The bongs are happening because something is repeatedly connecting/disconnecting, or trying to connect/disconnect.

Assuming Win v7, and assuming you want a clue into what's wrong, click the Windows/Start icon, and pick "Control Panel", then pick "Device Manager". Look for anything with a yellow "!" symbol, and see if that offers any clues.

There are many possible reasons for this annoying problem. Some of them are:

• Outdated USB drivers.
  • Some integrated peripheral device that is connected through the USB bus that is powering itself down to save power.
  • A loose or dirty connection somewhere (for example, on the connection to the optical drive).

Those are a few possibilities. Personally, I'd start by checking the Device Manager and glancing at the Event Viewer.

My bet is that there's some schmutz on the contacts for the optical drive. That happens a lot. Open the drawer, clean the contacts with some contact cleaner on a swab, and fire some canned air in there. But there are many other possibilities.

-Rich

Something is not right. The bongs are happening because something is repeatedly connecting/disconnecting, or trying to connect/disconnect.

Assuming Win v7, and assuming you want a clue into what's wrong, click the Windows/Start icon, and pick "Control Panel", then pick "Device Manager". Look for anything with a yellow "!" symbol, and see if that offers any clues.

So here is a scree shot of what I get. One yellow ! symbol for unknown device. FYI I only have 2 USB ports.

Attachments

• USB Problem.jpg
    USB Problem.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
There are three distinct sounds, Adam:

-0 (small, large) - Connected Device
0- (large, small) - Disconnected Device
--- (small, small, small) - Error in connected device

The third is a ***** to resolve, because it seems once a computer does that once, it refuses to recognize the device or fail the device again until the computer is rebooted.

Which of the three are you getting repeatedly?

I can update, disable or uninstall the driver when I click properties. It also says windows stopped the "device" because it was not working ( code 43)

Also Nick I think its the first one -0

It could be anything, really. A lot of things connect through the USB subsystem. Try looking up the hardware ID to see if you can narrow down what the device is.

-Rich

The system logs may be more descriptive. Does the laptop have a built in camera? Many are connected via USB and the wires leading to them break from flexing or shock. Same thing with built in microphones. Or another jumper cable inside the laptop.

Back