Bogus Yahoo mail?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I can't decide. I already have SSL checked in Preferences so I'm not sure what they are talking about. If you connect to their link, it starts asking for personal info so I bailed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AT&T Yahoo!

Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer:

We noticed that you are accessing email using non-secure settings in your email software.

We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and email messages are transmitted securely between your mail software (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers. In order to meet this need, please enable SSL via the instructions that are available on the Help site.

Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about this, we request that you please make the necessary changes immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to continue to send/receive email using a mail client.

Thank you for your cooperation,

AT&T Yahoo! Customer Support

Please do not reply to this message. This is a service email related to your use of AT&T Yahoo!. To learn more about Yahoo!'s or AT&T's use of personal information, including the use of web beacons in HTML-based email, please read our Privacy Policy. Yahoo! is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089. AT&T Internet Services is located at 6500 River Place Boulevard, Building III, Austin, TX 78730-1111.

I can't decide. I already have SSL checked in Preferences so I'm not sure what they are talking about. If you connect to their link, it starts asking for personal info so I bailed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AT&T Yahoo!

Dear AT&T Yahoo! Customer:

We noticed that you are accessing email using non-secure settings in your email software.

We would like to ensure that your AT&T Yahoo! Member ID, password, and email messages are transmitted securely between your mail software (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) and the AT&T Yahoo! Mail servers. In order to meet this need, please enable SSL via the instructions that are available on the Help site.

Since multiple email notifications have already been sent out about this, we request that you please make the necessary changes immediately. Remember, you need to make these changes if you want to continue to send/receive email using a mail client.

Thank you for your cooperation,

AT&T Yahoo! Customer Support

Please do not reply to this message. This is a service email related to your use of AT&T Yahoo!. To learn more about Yahoo!'s or AT&T's use of personal information, including the use of web beacons in HTML-based email, please read our Privacy Policy. Yahoo! is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089. AT&T Internet Services is located at 6500 River Place Boulevard, Building III, Austin, TX 78730-1111.

It's possible. AT&T has been pushing their users to use SSL for some time now. But the fact that you already have it enabled makes it smell fishy. Does the link actually point to the genuine yahoo.com or (att.net) domain? (You can't tell from the visible link, which can be literally anything.)

Rich

Its legit, and I'll tell you why:

There was no request for information. There was no intention of scamming you, and there was no advertisement. There's no reason someone would scam this email to you. Most likely, a change to SSL is coming, and they want you there before it happens to avoid having ya call because your email stopped working.

I concur. The link is legit. What seems strange is that you already have SSL enabled and still got the email. I would follow whatever instructions they give on that site, because it's definitely the legitimate att site.

Good to be cautious, though.

Rich

I wonder if I have that message; I have not checked my AT&T email, probably, in six months.

Dave--when you say you have SSL enabled--how are you checking this? You need to enable SSL in your mail settings in your mail client (Outlook Express, etc). This is not the same SSL you'll see in the Internet Explorer settings.

Dave--when you say you have SSL enabled--how are you checking this? You need to enable SSL in your mail settings in your mail client (Outlook Express, etc). This is not the same SSL you'll see in the Internet Explorer settings.

Netscape:

Edit>Preferences>Privacy and Security
the checked boxes say,
"SSL Version 2"
"SSL Version 3"
"Enable TLS"

Also, under
Edit>Preferences>Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP)
I have checked
"Use Secure Connection SSL" where the other options are No__, TLS where available__, and TLS__.

Spike, it came to my only email address which is an sbcglobal account.

Thanks!

Netscape:

Edit>Preferences>Privacy and Security
the checked boxes say,
"SSL Version 2"
"SSL Version 3"
"Enable TLS"
This is unrelated to the issue.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Also, under
Edit>Preferences>Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP)
I have checked
"Use Secure Connection SSL" where the other options are No__, TLS where available__, and TLS__.

Spike, it came to my only email address which is an sbcglobal account.

Thanks!
This looks good. Except--this is only the outbound SMTP server. Do you have SSL enabled on the inbound POP3 server?

This page describes how to configure your Netscape mail client for Yahoo Plus! using SSL for both SMTP and POP3.
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-11.html

Back