Boeing 777 hangar rash

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
While at my hangar today I heard a horrendous racket coming from the airliner refurbishment/recycling yard next door, so I went over to investigate.

It was like watching sausage being made, airplane style. What a terrible thing to do to a 777.

This is the same airplane, photographed last July:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Orenair/Boeing-777-2Q8-ER/4889455

So raise a can of beer to the late VP-BLA. In fact, that beer can might even be VP-BLA. ;)

Amazing how quickly a priceless airplane can suddenly be determined as useless junk.

While at my hangar today I heard a horrendous racket coming from the airliner refurbishment/recycling yard next door, so I went over to investigate.

It was like watching sausage being made, airplane style. What a terrible thing to do to a 777.

This is the same airplane, photographed last July:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Orenair/Boeing-777-2Q8-ER/4889455

So raise a can of beer to the late VP-BLA. In fact, that beer can might even be VP-BLA. ;)

Still beats sending it to allegiant :eek:

I would have thought 777's were too new to end up as beer cans.:eek:
Maybe 300,000 lb empty? Say 250,000 lb scrap aluminum?

A recycling website says there are 31 12oz cans to a pound. 250,000*31 = 7,750,000 cans.

12oz *7.75 million cans = 93 million oz

93 million oz / 128 oz/gal = 726,563 gal

726,563 gal / 15.5 gal/keg = 46,875 kegs of beer = 23,438 barrels.

Now sure how many barrels a day a single craft brewery can crank out.

I would have thought 777's were too new to end up as beer cans.:eek:
Wikipedia says this about Orenair, the Russian airline that owned this 777:

In 2010, Orenair was acquired by Aeroflot and was likely to engage in fleet modernization as a result of the merger. Orenair recently acquired Air Austral's B777-200ER F-ORUN, which Air Austral had been trying to sell for a year [that's the 777 in the video].

In April 2016 Aeroflot planned to merge Orenair and Donavia into Rossiya to form one larger airline based in Saint-Petersburg, Moscow and Rostov-On-Don. The former Orenair fleet will carry the Rossiya livery. On 26 May 2016 the airline's AOC was revoked after integration into Rossiya.

If all they were going to do was destroy it, they easily could’ve just given it to me.

They do that here. We have several 747s on the ramp at any given time. It’s pretty cool to go walk under them and get a sense for how big they actually are

Or you could rent it out for weddings and bar mitzvahs.

In 1968 I went on a student tour to Europe, all air travel on chartered DC-7s. The fuselage of one of them is now a pre-school in Denver.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 4.22.02 PM.png

Back