Bo to Hawaii

SkyHog said:
The secret is to leave South America, land in Antarctica, and then back up to Africa. I'm sure that's shorter. :D

Sounds like a challenge to find a current single engine flight to Antartica on Flight Aware to me!

Yes, and one does have to consider things like facilities when they land; some places don't have 100LL lying around. Some folks that have flown around the world have had to pre-arrange to have fuel delivered. Parts for the plane and maintenance can also be an issue. Last I checked, Bermuda didn't have 100LL if one headed out that way.

Best,

Dave

AirBaker said:
Sounds like a challenge to find a current single engine flight to Antartica on Flight Aware to me!

A couple weeks ago I was talking to a pilot who flew a Caravan on floats to Antartica. Brrrr.

I take it he ran into weather that cause that diversion??

Speculation is he is making pilot reports as there is not radar coverage out there. Something on a report incorrect, or, there is a big frontal system out there he was paralleling; might have diverted a bit.

Best,

Dave

Tom Turner and John Deakin on the Beech list both know this pilot. From Tom:

"I've been in touch with Dr. Compton for some time. This was his sixth trip to Hawaii in his Bonanza. "

Evidently, he's going to do a write up in ABS magazine on the trip.

Best,

Dave

lancefisher said:
It's my understanding that one generally plans this at max range speed with planned changes for weight (max range speed decreases as you burn fuel), and you want to have something like 50% margins. I think you'd better re-compute.

And, you're bucking the wind the whole way.

From John Deakin on the Beechlist:

Best,

Dave
===================================
Gang,

Just got the following from Bill Compton:

Hi John, yeah, I've been resting up in Bellingham.

I don't know what the deal is for that northward jog on Flightaware. I stayed on route centerline. There were occasional delays for position reports due to HF inconsistency and need for vhf relays, maybe that caused a computer glitch.

I like to do this stuff every now and then. This was my first oceanic trip since 1995. I had 5 previous bonanza trips to PHNL.

The TSIO 520D ran mostly about 2200-2100 rpm, 26", 30-40lop richest cyl, 11.8 gph adjusting down to 10.3 gph as the aircraft lightened and accelerated. The engine stayed smooth, cool, and happy.

Best regards
Bill

Back