BNW - HND Route

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Wellp.. I've finally got a general idea of the route to take to get from BNW (Boone, Iowa) to HND (Henderson, NV) next week.

My idea is: BNW - LQR - SAF - HND which results in just a hair over 7hrs of no-head/tailwind flying. I could do the whole trip in two stops, but we're not in a huge hurry to get there, so I'll stop more often so we can stretch our legs. We've got a new Aerox O2 system for the RV which will help get up to those OROCA's from SAF to HND.

Plan is to depart BNW pre-sunrise either Sunday or Monday (depending on weather window) to arrive in the mountains before afternoon heat gets things rocking.

Any tips/comments/suggestions on the route? I tried to get KBGD in the route as it was mentioned by folks here as a good GA friendly spot, but it was just out of range for a final leg. :(

Attachments

• BNW-HND.gif
    BNW-HND.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 15
looks good to me man. go fly, have fun. i know you've been told this before, but heating isnt going to be your only issue with the mountains. watch the winds aloft and if the winds at ridgetop have more than a 20 knot component perpendicular to them, expect some wave action. the closer you get when approaching from the downwind side, the stronger. be prepared to request a block and go as high as you can before crossing.

did i mention have fun?

Chris - if you get close to any mountains you have to cross - remember the most important thing you can ever hear: Cross at a 45 degree angle. Those winds over the top can be a doozy.

edit: and lookng at your picture, it looks like, rerouting neglected, the only place you may see that is descending to Santa Fe near Las Vegas.

Back