BMW 328 xdrive or Volvo S60 t6 awd

us AAirways

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
us AAirways
Which one is better?

Looking to possibly buy new.

I'm not a BMW guy, and I've been driving a Volvo for 15 years, but I recently asked my mechanic about those S60's and he said to stay away from the t6. He said they're fine cars, but probably won't last 200k+ miles like my 740. Also, he said their alternators are too small and a lot of his customers wind up with drained batteries.

No clue on Volvos but my BMW X3 which uses the same drive system as the 3 series has been trouble free for almost 100000 miles so far.

You should consider European Delivery for either car. I bought mine that way.

Cheers

I have never been a fan of BMWs either, but my wife tired of her boring Lexus Rx400h hybrid SUV and we bought her a (lightly used, 2011) BMW 328i sedan. She LOVES it. And it looks fabulous at our hangar next to the 172. (Of course, our hangar neighbor has a 182 and a BMW 5xx sedan).

In that price range, I'd seriously look at a Cadillac CTS AWD. If I were buying new, the CTS might well be my current choice (though not AWD).

Of course, I'd want to know which, of the considered cars, has the best dealer service.

I don't understand why people choose to waste so much money on a car, especially new. And I don't want to hear how they hold their value. They don't. Buy a 2 year old, 20000 dollar car and use the extra 20K for something that makes sense. It is a tool that gets you from A to B, nothing more.

Statistically speaking, liberals drive Volvos, conservatives drive BMWs.
Don't yell at me, I'm just reporting what I read somewhere.

No matter how good it is, don't buy anything that doesn't have a service center no more than 50 miles away.

Sorry BMW owner. Nearest service - 75 miles (150 round trip).

If you need awd, Subaru. BMW and Volvo are both nice but a crapshoot especially if you don't live close to a dealer.

No clue on Volvos but my BMW X3 which uses the same drive system as the 3 series has been trouble free for almost 100000 miles so far.

You should consider European Delivery for either car. I bought mine that way.

Cheers

I bought a Volvo C70 via European Delivery a few years ago, and it was a great experience. I would do it again. In a few years I'd like to buy either an Audi wagon or a Volvo wagon. Audi makes a 300 hp 6- speed wagon, but I am not sure I can order it for US specs, it may be Euro only.

I don't understand why people choose to waste so much money on a car, especially new. And I don't want to hear how they hold their value. They don't. Buy a 2 year old, 20000 dollar car and use the extra 20K for something that makes sense. It is a tool that gets you from A to B, nothing more.

I spent the last week trying to convince myself that buying a new $20,000 car is worth it. I just can't come up with any rhyme or reason as to why it makes sense. You can buy the same car, a year older, that is of the same generation with like 10,000 miles for like $15 or 16000.

I was surprised to see that Ford cars are holding their value right now better then Honda or Toyota.

No matter how good it is, don't buy anything that doesn't have a service center no more than 50 miles away.

Sorry BMW owner. Nearest service - 75 miles (150 round trip).

Or a good mechanic. I go to a guy that only works on European cars, and he seems to be good. You don't have to go to a dealer for warranty issues either.

If I needed a four wheel drive truck, I'd buy a four wheel drive truck. If I need a sedan, I'd buy a sedan.

These squashed bug looking SUV/sedan crossovers just aren't my thing.

75K on my Audi A8L. AWD and no issues, knock on wood as I probably just screwed myself! I like Audi's the best. Try one out

If I needed a four wheel drive truck, I'd buy a four wheel drive truck. If I need a sedan, I'd buy a sedan.

These squashed bug looking SUV/sedan crossovers just aren't my thing.

Had 4WD trucks, had sedans (and coupes and other types), now AWD SUV's are my thing. :D

cheers

For some people, that is true. But then, for some people, flying is simply a way to get from A to B.

I love cars. I love Porsches. I love BMWs. I love the art of the machine.

Had 4WD trucks, had sedans (and coupes and other types), now AWD SUV's are my thing. :D

Had trucks, had AWD sedans (they don't cut it in deep snow). Now an small AWD SUV is my thing. It does everything well.
Not the best at anything, but very good at everything. Flexibility is important to me.

We have a 528xi and my wife loves it. 2008 with 100k, we bought it used as a certified BMW with a 100k warranty. BMW has fixed any little issue without question, I would buy a certified BMW again. I would never buy new based on our experience, the certified used are as good as new at 1/2 the price with typically only about 30k on them. Good luck!

Yeah I was stretching it with 20000. My wife and I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion with 8500 miles...no thrills. 14k cash. Still smelled new! 29/35 mpg.

That works for some folks but not all. I prefer a car that provides some entertainment in terms of "spirited" driving along with comfortable seats and good ergonomics. I do often purchase cars that are 1-2 years old at the time but the price is generally well above your $20,000 budget. Just like an airplane, a car can be nothing but a tool for transportation or something to enjoy. A clapped out C172 will get you from point A to B in the air but a Bonanza or Mooney can be far more enjoyable.

Back