Bluetooth GPS behind the panel / iPad

Martymccasland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M.McCasland
Are there any bluetooth GPSs that I can wire up to turn on/off with the master switch, then just stick behind the panel and forget?

My buddy had a Dual GPS that seemed to require pushing and holding a button to get it to sync. I'm looking for something more akin to my audio panel: Go to your iOS device, pick "Bluetooth", touch the device you want to pair, and you're done -- no codes, no putting the device in search mode, etc. Next time in the plane, you do nothing -- the panel and phone just sync automatically.

Background: I had an old iPad with built-in true GPS; however, the ONLY time I used that feature was in the plane. If I needed data, I turned on the hotspot on my phone. 'Was thinking of just getting a Wifi only iPad and, if a GPS product like what's describe above exists, just dropping it behind the panel on top of the audio panel or something (clear view of the sky) -- enabling the Wifi iPad, other devices.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:
You can set up a Bad Elf Pro to turn on with power automatically.

Are there any bluetooth GPSs that I can wire up to turn on/off with the master switch, then just stick behind the panel and forget?

My buddy had a Dual GPS that seemed to require pushing and holding a button to get it to sync. I'm looking for something more akin to my audio panel: Go to your iOS device, pick "Bluetooth", touch the device you want to pair, and you're done -- no codes, no putting the device in search mode, etc. Next time in the plane, you do nothing -- the panel and phone just sync automatically.

Background: I had an old iPad with built-in true GPS; however, the ONLY time I used that feature was in the plane. If I needed data, I turned on the hotspot on my phone. 'Was thinking of just getting a Wifi only iPad and, if a GPS product like what's describe above exists, just dropping it behind the panel on top of the audio panel or something (clear view of the sky) -- enabling the Wifi iPad, other devices.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have a Dual that automatically synchs with my iPad. You want it on the glares yield so it has a clear view of as much of the constellation of satellites as possible. Putting it behind the panel subjects it to a lot of interference. GPS signals are not very strong.

I have a Dual that automatically synchs with my iPad. You want it on the glares yield so it has a clear view of as much of the constellation of satellites as possible. Putting it behind the panel subjects it to a lot of interference. GPS signals are not very strong.

My avionics shop suggested putting our Aera XM and GPS antenna under the glareshield, on top of the audio panel (very top of the stack) -- and I had them do so. The only thing between the antennas and the sky is the glareshield material and the windshield. According to the Aera, we have max signal strength on XM and GPS via the antennas through the glareshield. Even picks up XM and GPS inside the hanger (how, I have no idea, since the 530 with an external antenna can't get a fix).

I would think some glareshields contain material to not make this work; however, for our plane (Beech A36), the above works well.

'Just trying to do the same for a Bluetooth setup -- so as to have no wires or extra boxes around the cockpit, laying on top, dangling etc...

Increasingly, I'm leaning toward just having a cellular/LTE iPad to remove the number of components to troubleshoot, etc..

Reporting back:

I bought a new iPad5 -- and it's great (in comparison to my old iPad1). So much faster.

After much thought, I decided to get a Wifi model and buy a Bad Elf GPS Pro. The online documentation was sparse, but I was please to find an iOS Bad Elf app that allows one to configure the device to operate any way you like.

Specifically, you can go in via the app and tell the Bad Elf to automatically turn on as soon as it sees USB power, to automatically turn off after a period of idle time, and -- key to being able to put it out of sight -- you can tell it to allow anonymous Bluetooth pairing. This allows you to just turn on your iPad or iPhone, touch the Bad Elf in the Bluetooth menu once, and have it paired then and each successive time you get in the plane. (In default mode, you have to press the "confirm" button on the Bad Elf to confirm pairing -- which I was worried would keep me from placing it under the glare shield / out of sight.)

I'm tickled-pink they allowed operation to be customized like this. I really didn't want to have devices hanging on the glare shield, dangling here or there, wires to get in the way, etc...

Just a PIREP in case others are looking for a similar solution...

Reporting back:

I bought a new iPad5 -- and it's great (in comparison to my old iPad1). So much faster.

After much thought, I decided to get a Wifi model and buy a Bad Elf GPS Pro. The online documentation was sparse, but I was please to find an iOS Bad Elf app that allows one to configure the device to operate any way you like.

Specifically, you can go in via the app and tell the Bad Elf to automatically turn on as soon as it sees USB power, to automatically turn off after a period of idle time, and -- key to being able to put it out of sight -- you can tell it to allow anonymous Bluetooth pairing. This allows you to just turn on your iPad or iPhone, touch the Bad Elf in the Bluetooth menu once, and have it paired then and each successive time you get in the plane. (In default mode, you have to press the "confirm" button on the Bad Elf to confirm pairing -- which I was worried would keep me from placing it under the glare shield / out of sight.)

I'm tickled-pink they allowed operation to be customized like this. I really didn't want to have devices hanging on the glare shield, dangling here or there, wires to get in the way, etc...

Just a PIREP in case others are looking for a similar solution...
I too got a wifi only ipad(2) and never missed the cell or gps support. I have a Dual GPS on the glareshield that turns on when it gets USB power from the EFIS, does the Bluetooth thing and just works without a thought for 2 years and 350 hours. Sounds like Bad Elf and Dual function similarly. Good luck.

Did 3 hours of flying with the Bad Elf GPS Pro -- and am very pleased with the little unit.

At first I had it on the dash -- and was getting around 3-4 meter resolution.

I then put it in the side panel pocket down low on my left side (in our Beech A36). Still 3-4 meter resolution.

Then I put it *under* the pilot seat and gave it a few minutes. It went up to a very disappointing 5 meter resolution. :)

We then put it in the glovebox and shut the door. Still 5 meter resolution.

Finally, I wrapped it in a foil-lined hamburger wrapper then stuck it in the glovebox. Still got 5 meter resolution. (!!)

Couldn't be happier. 'Had the avionics shop to wire it into the breakers and avionics master. It turns on when the avionics master is on. The Bluetooth pairing is anonymous -- so we literally don't have to touch the unit again. Exactly what I was hoping it would do; however, I never dreamed it could pick up GPS signals in such poor conditions, even wrapped in foil and stuffed in the panel.

My PIREP: Bad Elf GPS Pro is 10/10 -- an excellent unit.

Last edited:
The Stratus ADS-B receivers are WiFi instead of Bluetooth, but they include a WAAS GPS and there's a setting called "Turn on when powered." Plug it into a handy cigarette lighter outlet, and henceforth when you turn on the Master switch the Stratus will turn on, and 30 seconds after you turn the Master off the Stratus will power down.

Back