Blue Moon Tonight

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Last one was August of last year.

A blue moon happens when there are 2 full moons in one calender month.

Studying the solar system is fun and exciting. :D

It's a 28.25 day cycle and this is the 20th so its actually not a Blue Moon....but it is special...

It's a 28.25 day cycle and this is the 20th so its actually not a Blue Moon....but it is special...

I was about to say the same thing. What's so great about the full moon tonight?

Two menstrual cycles in one month can never be good.

Actually it's a 29.53 day cycle (synodic month, time between consecutive full moons), but yes, it's definitely not the second full moon this calendar month.

According to this link, the Farmers' Almanac back in the 1930s used the term "blue moon" to mean the third full moon of the season, if there were four full moons in all that season instead of the usual three. The full moons this summer are (using UTC-based dates):

June 23
July 22
August 21
September 19

and the autumnal equinox is on September 22. So, this month's full moon fits the FA definition.

(Except, of course, that nobody uses that definition anymore, so it's just a piece of trivia.)

A better question might be: why the heck is a blue moon called blue?

Studying the solar system is fun and exciting. :D

Uhh. Yeah. Kinda like staring at a watch.

Going out INTO the solar system is exciting. Watching the moon go around and around is pretty much, been there, done that, at this point.

Pretty and all, loves me some nice moon photos, but not really conquering any new ground...

It's a media ploy to sell more aittime. Cut to a huge full moon, voice over "What's so special about tonights full moon? More at 11."

While riding down Highway 41 a couple of Oshkoshes ago, my wife proclaims "Look at that harvest moon." I look out the window and note that it's not the moon, but the internally lit balloon flying over the Sosnowski Brothers beer tent. It's been an ongoing joke since.

It's a media ploy to sell more aittime. Cut to a huge full moon, voice over "What's so special about tonights full moon? More at 11."

Boy that'll really draw them in. Haha. Compelling TV to sell some more new car ads. Haha.

While riding down Highway 41 a couple of Oshkoshes ago, my wife proclaims "Look at that harvest moon." I look out the window and note that it's not the moon, but the internally lit balloon flying over the Sosnowski Brothers beer tent.

But if you're thirsty on an AirVenture evening, you may find quite a good "harvest" under that particular "moon" :cheers:

Uhh. Yeah. Kinda like staring at a watch.

Going out INTO the solar system is exciting. Watching the moon go around and around is pretty much, been there, done that, at this point.

Pretty and all, loves me some nice moon photos, but not really conquering any new ground...

Personally, I'm just astounded at what scientists have figured out from studying astronomical bodies.

Back