Blue Angel - Slip/Sliding in Maine

WOW that could have gone really bad.

Who would believe ,ice on a runway in Maine,in December. Good outcome.

Now I want to see that done in formation

looked like a side-slip rather than a forward slip...:D

That's what happens when you put Florida drivers in Maine. :)

Those aircraft have two engines. Could they use differential thrust to stay on the runway, or is that a really stupid thing to do at taxi speed?

Those aircraft have two engines. Could they use differential thrust to stay on the runway, or is that a really stupid thing to do at taxi speed?

I think the engines are too close together for that to really be effective without goosing it.

Junk. Seen iceboats go way faster then that...

What happened to the plane? I kept rewinding to see the news girl!! :ihih:

not really. There is a noticeable yawing (in spite of the "centerline thrust" designation) when one motor is at idle and one at mil or full burner, but obviously if you are trying to get under control in the last few feet of the runway, doing either of those things would be pretty counterproductive. I've nearly been there in a Hornet, not much you can do other than what it appears they did on the video.......pretty much the same thing you would do in a car sliding on ice, maybe minus the ability to use torque steer in a RWD car.

Something like that- Didn't notice #7 and #8 are part of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. I was like ****, I've never seen anyone get busted back that fast.;)

yeah, we were in API as well as the RAG together. Cool chick, glad she made it. Spent a good amount of time with her in the sim back in the day learning the Hornet and lots more time out on the ranges of AZ dropping blue death together on Yuma.

Last edited:
Back