Blown 12v(?) PC power

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
My Windows XP tower with Antec power supply is dangling on the cliff.

I think I screwed it up by plugging in a USB cable for printer that was damaged and shorted. The result is the USB power is dead AND not even the keyboard on the PS/2 port works.

I assume there must be a fuse on the motherboard but I haven't spotted it yet. Is there any chance this could be a easy fix?

Yeah. The first thing I do is a full back up.

Don't tell me to just take out the drives. They're setup in a RAID 0 using the onboard NVidia drivers. Yeah. I've known that was bad idea all along.

You're not going to find an easily replaceable fuse on any modern mother board.

Yeah. But I'll find a place to wrap a strand of wire.
Maybe. I wouldn't count on it though. That is some really tiny ****.

Are you sure the power supply isn't junk? Have you tried a different one before assuming the motherboard?

The good news is that your Nvidia raid isn't actually hardware raid. It is software raid at the driver level. It just pretends to look like hardware raid. The drives would likely read in any motherboard with that fake nvidia raid.

Maybe. I wouldn't count on it though. That is some really tiny ****.

Are you sure the power supply isn't junk? Have you tried a different one before assuming the motherboard?

The good news is that your Nvidia raid isn't actually hardware raid. It is software raid at the driver level. It just pretends to look like hardware raid. The drives would likely read in any motherboard with that fake nvidia raid.
I'm wondering if any new motherboard with the NVidia RAID firmware will grok it. It looks like on the NVidia forums the odds are yes.

How about this brain shower? I'll get a PCI USB card and see if that works with a mouse and keyboard!

Back