Bloomington, IN crash kills 5 students

Very sad indeed. Wonder however what the fact that the pilot was a female had to do with anything. As ususal we see the press hasn't left out the line about the 'spit and sputtering " of an airplane .

Prayers to the families

AdamZ said:
Very sad indeed. Wonder however what the fact that the pilot was a female had to do with anything. As ususal we see the press hasn't left out the line about the 'spit and sputtering " of an airplane .

Prayers to the families
In that part of the state it could mean a lot to some people. My wife and I were walking from the supermarket to my car in Bloomington once. A car was driving by, there was a dad and his son next to us. As the car went by the dad said to the son "becareful, that is one of those girl drivers". It was obvious he had some strong feelings on women drivers.

Cracked us up, we still use that line to kid around.

Southern Indiana is a different place. Not too far from there the local delicacy is fried cow brain sandwidches and green bell peppers are called mangos. The whole mango thing is fun as the first time I heard that I was flabergasted. When my niece who had lived in California here whole life told me that she was moving to Ft. Wayne I let her in on the mango thing. Her husband is from southern Indiana. When I said that he jumped up and announced in a loud voice "SEE I TOLD YOU ALL THAT AND YOU LAUGHED AT ME". It was hillarious

Last edited:
5 souls on board a cessna single? Was it a 205, 206, 210? I hope they didn't squeeze 5 into another type. I guess it doesn't matter now. Too bad. So sad.

From FAA database it appears that the family of the pilot owns a 172, 310, and a 206.

The pilot involved in this accident had an IR and Mulit rating.

So very sad.

James Dean

SkykingC310 said:
5 souls on board a cessna single? Was it a 205, 206, 210? I hope they didn't squeeze 5 into another type. I guess it doesn't matter now. Too bad. So sad.

206. They were cleared for the ILS. Weather was pretty low:

BMG 0325Z SPEC 24006KTS 2BR OVC003 17/16 A2994

When I read the story, I didn't see anything specifically addressing that the pilot was female or the engine was sputtering... Looked like reasonably responsible journalism to me.

Now, of course... What do you do if you're on the ILS and your engine fails? What can you do except stay on the localizer at Vg and pray?

flyingcheesehead said:
When I read the story, I didn't see anything specifically addressing that the pilot was female or the engine was sputtering... Looked like reasonably responsible journalism to me.

One of the first stories wen out of it way to mention the gender of the pilot. They seem to have cooled on that.

The new 206's have had some engine problems.
Then there is the possibility of a fuel management problem.
But whatever the cause, engine failure close to the ground in night instrument conditions would tax the self-control of any pilot to avoid stalling the aircraft. The probability of a stall would increase if the aircraft were on autopilot during the approach. 300/2 is not a particularly difficult ILS, and it is very dark south and west of that airport. The runway lights are the only thing to see under those conditions, reducing the liklihood of premature VFR.

Been there [single engine failure close to the ground] in daylight VFR and the inclination to keep pulling back on the yoke is almost overwhelming.

But we'll just have to wait a year to have some idea of the root cause.

flyingcheesehead said:
Now, of course... What do you do if you're on the ILS and your engine fails? What can you do except stay on the localizer at Vg and pray?
I've thought about this. This is just one of the reasons why I fly the localizer without flaps and with a higher approach speed than a VFR pattern final approach. For example, I fly the ILS in a C172 at 90 KIAS, in general. (It is easy to reduce power and add flaps at DH--speed bleeds off quickly.) If I lost an engine at 500 AGL, at 90 KIAS, clean, I'd hold the nose to level until I reached best glide, trim for that, pray, and hopefully now be able to glide to the runway or some grass near the runway at the airport.

Back