Blocked My N-Number on ADSB

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
I know this has been discussed in a few threads in the past. Today I sent in the request to have my N-Number blocked on ADSB.

I'm not trying to hide from the public. I'm not worried about someone knowing I'm out flying and robbing my house. I'm doing it because of my friends! The creeps have put m my n-number into FlightAware and it notifies them every time I take off! I've had way too many people come up and say "I've noticed you're flying a lot lately" or something similar. Stop stalking me ya creeps! Nothing to hide, but I still want to! I don't need you knowing every single time I take off and not sure why you would want to!

How many of you get the same thing?

To: CertifiedSecurityConcern@faa.gov

I would like to block NXXXX at the FAA Source level. I am the sole owner and operator of this aircraft.

Jack Fleetwood

jackfleetwood@NXXXX.com
512-XXX-XXXX

You just inspired me to send the same request, albeit for my tail number :)

Maybe I am lost, but you are a "public figure" who is very well known. Your own website which you have in your signature has a phone number. Curious people are going to be curious. Let them live in your glory.

Maybe I am lost, but you are a "public figure" who is very well known. Your own website which you have in your signature has a phone number. Curious people are going to be curious. Let them live in your glory.
LOL, like I said, not really the public that bothers me and they don't just do it with me. I had one friend tell me he has run out of people he can follow at one time without a premium subscription. Not sure why he wants to know every time someone flies.

And I do take some precautions. My phone number on the website is a Google Phone number that forwards to my personal phone. When I pull the plug on the aviation photography business, I won't have to change my personal number.

I know this has been discussed in a few threads in the past. Today I sent in the request to have my N-Number blocked on ADSB.

I'm not trying to hide from the public. I'm not worried about someone knowing I'm out flying and robbing my house. I'm doing it because of my friends! The creeps have put m my n-number into FlightAware and it notifies them every time I take off! I've had way too many people come up and say "I've noticed you're flying a lot lately" or something similar. Stop stalking me ya creeps! Nothing to hide, but I still want to! I don't need you knowing every single time I take off and not sure why you would want to!

I would like to block NXXXX at the FAA Source level. I am the sole owner and operator of this aircraft.

Jack Fleetwood

jackfleetwood@NXXXX.com
512-XXX-XXXX
LOL, this was our household conversation the other day:
Son: Where'd you go today?
Me: Go? What do you mean?
Son: I was notified on flightaware you went somewhere.
Me: Then I guess you know where I went.
Wife: Yeah, I was notified too. What's in Shelby Michigan?
Later, my friend called: What's in Shelby Michigan?

I may have to do this as well. And to those that are curious...nothing is in Shelby Michigan, its just an airport I'd never been to before.

LOL, this was our household conversation yesterday:
Son: Where'd you go today?
Me: Go? What do you mean?
Son: I was notified on flightaware you went somewhere.
Me: Then I guess you know where I went.
Wife: Yeah, I was notified too. What's in Shelby Michigan?
Later, my friend called: What's in Shelby Michigan?

I may have to do this as well.
See, now there's a new issue... family stalking you!!

New problem:

Friend: Jack, is your plane broken?
Jack: No, why do you ask?
Friend: I haven't seen you flying much lately...

Sounds like a personal problem to me. :)

Tell your friends you would like them to mind their own business...do you track their cell phones when they are out driving to their local pub ?

Celebrity status comes with strings attached.

When I joined the HOA Board at the highrise it didn’t take long before my tail# went around the community.

I had the 2% “hate the HOA” people stalking me.

Blocking the info put and end to it.

You can file the FAA N number block but your ADSB info will still be available on the internet.

Doesn't do anything for the other sites that still show your tail number. They have their own ADS-B receiver networks.
This is correct. There is a very large hobbist network with raspberry pie ADSB recievers world wide that gather and submit their data to websites like FligtRadar24 and ADSB Exchange whom display all the data, including N numbers they receive, regadless if the FAA blocks the N number in their systems. This is legal... and what CEO's (business jet types) were complaining about. Your plane will always transmit it's tail number unencrypted in the clear, the block request just means the FAA won't send it to comercial end users when their system picks it up.

FYI, Flight Aware also gets a lot of ADSB data from hobbists as well, but chooses to not display the N numbers they receive via the hobbyists that are on the FAA's "block list".

Long story short, if someone wants to track you, it is pretty easy, even if the FAA "blocks" your N number.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Used to have mine blocked (Skybeacon anonymous mode).

Then I got a call from a friend's wife. Her husband was flying, and was overdue. He had been, in fact, on a trip to have ADS-B installed. We were able to call up his path on Flightaware.

It gave her some reassurance, the fact that we were able to determine the general area where he was at. Unfortunately, it didn't matter. He'd died on impact.

After that, I turned off the anonymous mode. Yes, I know the FAA would *still* have access to the information. But I feel better knowing that my friends would be able to help earlier.

Ron Wanttaja

Well, if you're not UAS or dual UAS/1090 and you paid up for a third-party call sign :confused: you're golden, apparently. Except for that whole hobby ADS-B dongle crowd on a laptop thingy.

Third-party call signs are available from a "Third Party Call Sign Provider", a commercial service which has a security agreement with FAA.

FAA acknowledges the desire of some operators to limit the availability of real-time ADS-B position and identification information for a specific aircraft.

To address privacy concerns, FAA has initiated the Privacy ICAO aircraft address (PIA) program to improve the privacy of the following eligible aircraft:

• U.S registered
  • 1090 MHz ADS-B equipped
  • Using a third-party call sign
  • Flying in domestic U.S. airspace
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/equipadsb/privacy/

I have never cared enough to even think of blocking my adsb. And at this point , I still don’t care.

Was it just $5k he offered, purportedly for his safety? Richest man in the world?

That’s like you or me offering a penny or two.

Must not care that much.

For a long time when I was flying by myself, I always filed IFR so Margy could easily track me (FlightAware used to be dodgy at times for VFR only radar services).

I had a somewhat related problem yesterday, coming into my home airport a new controller said to me "your ADSB appears to be inop". It's not Inop, I just operate in anonymous mode. I wasn't about to explain it to him over the radio though. Not sure if he will persist but I certainly don't intend to start sending my N number out over ADSB. If he does persist I might need to educate him, over the phone though.

Seems like you just need new friends?
They're alright... just nosey! I'm like the kid you have to tie a bone to his neck to get the dog to play with him!
Sounds like a personal problem to me. :)

Tell your friends you would like them to mind their own business...do you track their cell phones when they are out driving to their local pub ?

Celebrity status comes with strings attached.
I would tell them, but they'd probably still do it! Now if they're going to the pub without me, that's a different story. Time to fight!

I had a somewhat related problem yesterday, coming into my home airport a new controller said to me "your ADSB appears to be inop". It's not Inop, I just operate in anonymous mode. I wasn't about to explain it to him over the radio though. Not sure if he will persist but I certainly don't intend to start sending my N number out over ADSB. If he does persist I might need to educate him, over the phone though.

I can do that, but haven't ... only have one buddy that checks that info occasionally. While I was stuck at work for the umpteenth time, I would watch their travels on their way to OSH (there's a delay) and after locating approximate position, could switch and watch live on Foreflight (even saw the guy that cut them off in line). Am guessing going anonymous is not available on all units ...

I can do that, but haven't ... only have one buddy that checks that info occasionally. While I was stuck at work for the umpteenth time, I would watch their travels on their way to OSH (there's a delay) and after locating approximate position, could switch and watch live on Foreflight (even saw the guy that cut them off in line). Am guessing going anonymous is not available on all units ...
I didn't even think about going into OSH. I will still have ADSB out, so they'll see me, but no N-number. They were calling out planes by number last year and telling them they were cutting in line and had to turn back. It was very satisfying!

Anonymous is only available on 978(UAT) ADS-B out, not on 1090.

There is an FAA program for 'semi-anonymous' 1090 https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/equipadsb/privacy/

I think the FAA can always see your hex number so it’s not like you’re hidden or anything but it does cut down on the riff raff watching you with a raspberry pi receiver.

This is correct. There is a very large hobbist network with raspberry pie ADSB recievers world wide that gather and submit their data to websites like FligtRadar24 and ADSB Exchange whom display all the data, including N numbers they receive, regadless if the FAA blocks the N number in their systems. This is legal... and what CEO's (business jet types) were complaining about. Your plane will always transmit it's tail number unencrypted in the clear, the block request just means the FAA won't send it to comercial end users when their system picks it up.

FYI, Flight Aware also gets a lot of ADSB data from hobbists as well, but chooses to not display the N numbers they receive via the hobbyists that are on the FAA's "block list".

It's a bit more detailed than choosing not to display the FAA's blocked list. If you receive data from the FAA (Like Flightaware, FlightRadar24, and others) you are required to respect the blocked list. FLightRadar24 does comply, despite what you're written. ADSB Exchange shares anything/everything, solely because they receive nothing from the FAA. Hell, you can even filter by "LADD" (that's what the FAA's method of hiding is called) when using ADSB Exchange.

Has anybody here applied for a third-party call sign?

The FAA page linked in chartbundle's post mentions that you can buy them from Foreflight and Flightaware. I couldn't figure out what exactly you get for that.

Has anybody here applied for a third-party call sign?

The FAA page linked in chartbundle's post mentions that you can buy them from Foreflight and Flightaware. I couldn't figure out what exactly you get for that.

I've flown under a Foreflight callsign, and a Dotcom (DCM) (Flightplan.com) callsign. You get a callsign, and the ability to file/fly under that callsign. Each provider requires that you file through them to use it.

Can’t they still track you if they have your Mode S Code ?
I know our company 2 G650’s don’t appear on flight aware but I still can track them

Can’t they still track you if they have your Mode S Code ?
I know our company 2 G650’s don’t appear on flight aware but I still can track them

Yes, and you can look it up in FAA database, I think that’s how adsb exchange works, it doesn’t use FAA DB.
You can have pilot information restricted from public inquiries , but that’s not an option for planes.
I like having email alerts, I have one on my plane just in case someone were to steal it.

See, now there's a new issue... family stalking you!!
That's not a new issue to me.
I live in Florida and we take a lot of cross country trips. Almost Everything is North or West of us and my Family lives a couple hundred miles NW of here. Any time we take a trip, someone in the family asks why we didn't stop in while we were passing through. I tell them we weren't passing "through", we were passing "over". And since they don't have a runway they were not "on the way". But I'd prefer not to have to explain every time.

Did this work?

Jack Fleetwood

jackfleetwood@NXXXX.com
512-XXX-XXXX
Someone may have already said this but could you add a power switch to the transponder and turn it off if flying out side of D,C, B airspace?

Someone may have already said this but could you add a power switch to the transponder and turn it off if flying out side of D,C, B airspace?
Nope. It is illegal to turn off your transponder once you have ADSB out. I could turn it to standby and accomplish the same thing, just not legal.

That's not a new issue to me.
I live in Florida and we take a lot of cross country trips. Almost Everything is North or West of us and my Family lives a couple hundred miles NW of here. Any time we take a trip, someone in the family asks why we didn't stop in while we were passing through. I tell them we weren't passing "through", we were passing "over". And since they don't have a runway they were not "on the way". But I'd prefer not to have to explain every time.

Did this work?
I only sent the email yesterday. Apparently it takes affect on the 15th of each month, so I'll have to wait awhile to see if it works!

Back