Block Island!

redtail

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Redtail
Awesome flight to Block Island yesterday. Boy, what a beautiful little Island to visit! Passing Montauk airport(the last airport on the eastern tip of Long Island).

Had lunch at Betheny's airport diner. Will definitely be back again! On my way home, I was cruising along @4500 with flight following from NY approach. Back over Long Island, I look out my left window and I'm right over East Hampton airport. Continue my scan and what do I see? LOW OIL PRESSURE indicator on the MFD!!! below the green band and flickering into the RED:eek: Oil temp looks within normal range. Took me a couple of seconds to accept what I was looking at. I have to be honest, the urge to press on to your destination is very strong but I told myself to use my better judgement and make a precautionary landing at that nice airfield below me. I keyed the mic and told approach that i'd be making a precautionary landing at Hampton(I meant East Hampton..lol). Aprch was very helpful and concerned, gave me a vector to the field and told me to switch to the CTAF. The airport had zero traffic in the pattern and none waiting to takeoff, so I just reduced power entered on the crosswind leg while descending. Kept calling out my position throughout. I was anticipating the fan to quit so I kept the pattern tight. Engine never did run rough and as I'm rolling down the runway, I notice that the oil pressure looks normal again, back in the green! wtf? Well I taxied to the ramp met a few guys and explained my issue. Had it checked, checked engine and oil level and it was determined to be a faulty indication. After I was satisfied, I did a thorough runup before departing and heading home! The flight back was normal with all engine instruments in the green. Contacted approach again for flight following and the controller remembered me..lol, asked how everything was. I thanked him for his concern and assistance. So all in all, great flight and I'm glad I used my better judgement in a situation that left me uncertain of the outcome had I not. I now have a new entry in my logbook...first precautionary landing. I was flying solo so I think I'll just keep this little adventure to myself, no use in getting wifey anymore nervous about flying than she already is:rofl:

Attachments

• 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 137.JPG
    137.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 141.JPG
    141.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 148.JPG
    148.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Awesome story, but how do you know she doesn't read your stuff on the internet?

Oh and when you say "had some people look at it" - what did they do to perform the checks?

Awesome story, but how do you know she doesn't read your stuff on the internet?

Oh and when you say "had some people look at it" - what did they do to perform the checks?

she doesn't visit pilot forums:lol:

mech/CFI was very familiar with the G1000 so after confirming no loss of oil and normal oil temps, thorough runup. shutdown and visual inspection, determined it was a glitch in the display. After doing my own runup, I felt pretty confident so I was on my way. Keeping a sharp eye on it all along. Reported it to owner to have it further looked at.

Nice writeup! I love Block Island. I've been there more than once for sanity retention. If you want to overnight there the bed and breakfasts are a fraction of the cost in the winter. This time of year its like having an island to yourself.

I've been to Block Island several times. It is one of my favorite trips while living in the East.

Nice report, and you did a good job on the diversion.

Nice writeup! I love Block Island. I've been there more than once for sanity retention. If you want to overnight there the bed and breakfasts are a fraction of the cost in the winter. This time of year its like having an island to yourself.

Yes I noticed how deserted it looked and felt. Just the way I like it, I hate crowds. It's a real beauty, definately returning!

Last edited:
Block Island really is a great destination.. When you fly in to Block you feel like you are in a different world.

It is a place that is very difficult to get to any way but by light aircraft. From Long Island it would involve lots of driving and multiple ferry boat rides of over an hour. Total trip time could be 4 to 5 hours compared to :30 - :60 by plane.

For next time you go if you like to walk, the walk into town is less than 2 miles and the scenery along the way is great. During the off season there might not be any restaurants open in town so if you need lunch eat at the airport or wait until the warmer months to eat in town.

I love the island. My dream is to hang out there in the summers when I retire (we have a cottage) and give the occasional sightseeing ride and flight lesson.

Nice write up. I wonder how long its going to take the shop to find the gremlin that gave the faulty indication ( Little problems on Monday are sometimes just symptoms of the big problem that shows its face on Friday)

BID is a destination I have not been too. I love flying the Cape and Islands though New England has some beautiful flying. I've wanted to get up to BID and stay over with my wife but frankley once you get there it so Dagnam expensive.

Block Island really is a great destination.. When you fly in to Block you feel like you are in a different world.

It is a place that is very difficult to get to any way but by light aircraft. From Long Island it would involve lots of driving and multiple ferry boat rides of over an hour. Total trip time could be 4 to 5 hours compared to :30 - :60 by plane.

For next time you go if you like to walk, the walk into town is less than 2 miles and the scenery along the way is great. During the off season there might not be any restaurants open in town so if you need lunch eat at the airport or wait until the warmer months to eat in town.

Yes, I definately would enjoy seeing the town. It looks so cool from the air. Hope to spend more than an hour next time

Last edited:
Yes, I definately would enjoy seeing the town. It looks so cool from the air. Hope to spend more than an hour next time:)

They rent bikes, and motor scooters right at the airport. Don't know about winter though.

Adam, you don't need to stay overnight. It's only a 1.5 hour trip each way in the Tiger from N47. :)

Nice write up. I wonder how long its going to take the shop to find the gremlin that gave the faulty indication ( Little problems on Monday are sometimes just symptoms of the big problem that shows its face on Friday)

BID is a destination I have not been too. I love flying the Cape and Islands though New England has some beautiful flying. I've wanted to get up to BID and stay over with my wife but frankley once you get there it so Dagnam expensive.

Yeah I sure hope they find out fast because I don't like RED bands & lights:no:
Like I said, temps were normal and engine never ran rough but I was really concerned. Crazy how part of your brain goes through denial but the other part says DO something! Glad I put denial to sleep and landed. Why take chances when in doubt?
I'll add this, they do perform regular maintenance and keep their planes in excellent condition. So I know they'll get to the bottom of it.

I see you live in PA. I used to live in the Poconos and NY is the most expensive place I've ever lived:mad2: I'm originally from NJ. Not sure about Block Island prices.

Last edited:
They rent bikes, and motor scooters right at the airport. Don't know about winter though.

Adam, you don't need to stay overnight. It's only a 1.5 hour trip each way in the Tiger from N47. :)

That far? Wow its only 1.3 from Wings :rofl:.

Seriously I hear what your saying but its kind of a fun adventure to fly somewhere for a weekend.

Hmm... Maybe when I'm up spending a week with my folks at the cottage next summer we can sponsor a fly-in weekend for campers. Cottage is small so not a lot of spare bedroom but there's LOTS of soft grassy area to pitch a tent, and there's some decent floor space for indoor camping too if the weather gets rainy.

That far? Wow its only 1.3 from Wings :rofl:.

Seriously I hear what your saying but its kind of a fun adventure to fly somewhere for a weekend.

Ya got me on that one buddy. :D

It is expensive in season, but maybe a Fall trip would be less AMU's.

I shared my experience with an Airbus captain that I've only met on Facebook, not in person yet. I value his input treamendously and I'm glad to learn all that I can! Afterall, I'm still a baby creaping up on 200 hrs:D
And I must admit, not once did I pull out the abnormals checklist.

this was his response:

I'm glad you took the time to read through that, but, basically the reason I asked you to read through it is so that you realize that its a procedure that you should've read through and analyze before deciding to do a Precautionary landing. Remember you are also training to be a professional pilot, and a discipline in following procedures is an essential part of it.

Looking at the symptom's that you described and the POH procedure, you were essentially supposed to continue with the flight. There was nothing wrong with deciding to do a precautionary landing but also realize the implications of making an unplanned landing at an unfamiliar airfield, high workload, increased stress ie.. as well as the extra time and cost involved. looking back at the personality traits that the FAA so famously publishes, you might find your actions listed as "impulsive".

I'm not criticizing just giving you an insight of how a future abnormality could possibly be handled.

John

Last edited:
I flew to Block Island from the Rockies this past summer in a DA40. I agree it is a magnificent place to fly. One word of caution though is I found the lack of a clear horizon striking over the water. It was a blue sky day with a touch of haze but there was a good five minutes that I was pretty much flying on instruments.

Block Island is a great destination but in the summer it is a zoo. Been there many times, and once had to drop off my passengers there, and then fly over to Westerly to have a spot on their ramp for the plane since there wasn't an ounce of space at Block, and no indication of such from the FBO and then take a ferry out to Block, sheesh!!! Much better in the off-season.

I had the exact same low, then normal oil pressure indication in a steam-gauge Archer this past summer. I did a precautionary landing at KPOU and the assembled multitude found a loose wire on the pressure sender.

The greybeards concluded I should have continued the flight because the temperature was normal. They stated that oil temp. would skyrocket very quickly if the pressure was really down to 10 psi, and normal temperature should have told me that the pressure indication was wrong.

Thanks, but no thanks. Low pressure indication? Perfectly good airport right below me? I'm stopping to check it out. Glad you did, too. -Skip

I had the exact same low, then normal oil pressure indication in a steam-gauge Archer this past summer. I did a precautionary landing at KPOU and the assembled multitude found a loose wire on the pressure sender.

The greybeards concluded I should have continued the flight because the temperature was normal. They stated that oil temp. would skyrocket very quickly if the pressure was really down to 10 psi, and normal temperature should have told me that the pressure indication was wrong.

Thanks, but no thanks. Low pressure indication? Perfectly good airport right below me? I'm stopping to check it out. Glad you did, too. -Skip

Thanks, I'm glad you mention this because I've discussed this with a few other pilots/CFI's and I'm glad I made the precautionary landing also. I guess that's what being PIC is all about. I've been thinking about this a lot and the more I think about it, the happier I am with my decision making that day. The Airbus Capt. spoke about "impulsive" behavior but as I reflect on my actions, I don't think I acted impulsive at all. I saw an abnormal reading in a critical engine guage, an airport below me, I was in contact with ATC via flight following, and made a decision to put in down. I would do the same thing if it happened again. Would I have ditched in the water or made an off airport landing with no other signs of an imminent engine failure? Probably Not.

Thanks, I'm glad you mention this because I've discussed this with a few other pilots/CFI's and I'm glad I made the precautionary landing also. I guess that's what being PIC is all about. I've been thinking about this a lot and the more I think about it, the happier I am with my decision making that day. The Airbus Capt. spoke about "impulsive" behavior but as I reflect on my actions, I don't think I acted impulsive at all. I saw an abnormal reading in a critical engine guage, an airport below me, I was in contact with ATC via flight following, and made a decision to put in down. I would do the same thing if it happened again. Would I have ditched in the water or made an off airport landing with no other signs of an imminent engine failure? Probably Not.

The difference between "impulsive" and "cautious" in this case can only be decided by you. If you thought about it, you were cautious. If you just panicked or reacted, you were impulsive. It sounds to me like you were cautious. I've had a similar situation where I was NOT close to an airport and I kept an eye on the oil temp and when it didn't rise I felt better.

Keep in mind that when you get paid to fly, you may get "in trouble" if you were to terminate a flight early for what your employer may feel is an insufficient reason. On the other hand, better to be a live unemployed person then a dead employee, or worse, a live employee who is starring in an NTSB report after killing passengers due to pilot error.

The difference between "impulsive" and "cautious" in this case can only be decided by you. If you thought about it, you were cautious. If you just panicked or reacted, you were impulsive. It sounds to me like you were cautious. I've had a similar situation where I was NOT close to an airport and I kept an eye on the oil temp and when it didn't rise I felt better.

Keep in mind that when you get paid to fly, you may get "in trouble" if you were to terminate a flight early for what your employer may feel is an insufficient reason. On the other hand, better to be a live unemployed person then a dead employee, or worse, a live employee who is starring in an NTSB report after killing passengers due to pilot error.

Well said Tim. Yes I thought about it because at first it was just flickering below the green which I knew wasn't normal, then a few seconds later it started dipping into the red! That's the point at which I took action. I was within gliding distance of a few airports but didn't want to have to glide anywhere if I could help it:D. Yeah I respect the Capt's opinion (he looks about 10 yrs younger than me, I'm 46) but I'm not on anyone's schedule and I don't have a co-pilot. I fly strictly for pleasure;)

Last edited:
Back