Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
7441915480_a76300c5aa.jpg

hindenburg.jpg

Last edited:
Points for the creative title.

Points for the creative title.

Actually, I found it on a T-Shirt from Cafe Press (and it is mentioned in the article). That was when we were going to have a tacky T-Shirt contest at the POA annual WINGS fly-in. I never bought the shirt, but it was really funny:

womens_blimpin_tee.jpg

From Hangar One's website in the "Did You Know" section:

More people are qualified to land a Space Shuttle than to land a blimp.

I wonder if like in hot air ballooning they give the property owner where they land a bottle?:D

The whole deal wasn't any fun last summer, picking up pieces and everything. They are flying again, however, and are up in Livermoore, IIRC.

From Hangar One's website in the "Did You Know" section:

More people are qualified to land a Space Shuttle than to land a blimp.
I guess technically the Shuttle is a glider while landing...so maybe you just need a glider rating:dunno:
Interesting question...does the FAA have a type rating for the space shuttle:confused:

Interesting question...does the FAA have a type rating for the space shuttle:confused:
I think the FAA would care about the Shuttle and providing certificates for its pilots about as much as they would an F-22 or a B-2. Not within their sphere of influence, as I understand it.

I guess technically the Shuttle is a glider while landing...so maybe you just need a glider rating:dunno:

It does weigh over 12,500 pounds. And I would imagine you would have to have a multi rating to take off.

Plus you're going to have to get typed in the STA to get anywhere near a shuttle. ;)

I saw it from the air about a year ago.

Attachments

• Hangar 1 blimp.jpg
    Hangar 1 blimp.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
Yep! I might have been coming back from Lancaster.

Wow, lots of actual blimpin' guys on this board. Two is a lot considering how rare they are.

The only aerostat I've seen up close is the one just south of Deming, NM, which IIRC, is a LockMart one, one of the 420K's, I believe. Quite a monster that thing is, even when it's flying.

Last edited:
There is a manned airship contractor for the US Navy, but having worked with people who worked there, it isn't any better where I'm at now. I enjoy LTA but for me, it isn't a career destination.

What did it cost you to get the LTA rating - if I may be so bold?
And do you have a commercial rating?

I ask because 61.133(a)(2) allows commercial LTA pilots to act as instructors for that rating, and a careful read of 61.183 seems to me to indicate it doesn't apply to LTA, so that there is no such thing as "flight instructor certificate" for LTA - at least under that section. That's always been my rough understanding - not sure if it is accurate.

What did it cost you to get the LTA rating - if I may be so bold?
And do you have a commercial rating?

I ask because 61.133(a)(2) allows commercial LTA pilots to act as instructors for that rating, and a careful read of 61.183 seems to me to indicate it doesn't apply to LTA, so that there is no such thing as "flight instructor certificate" for LTA - at least under that section. That's always been my rough understanding - not sure if it is accurate.

I didn't pay for it. Was hired by a company to be a pilot and was trained for it by them. Yes, I can teach in the airship, because there is no CFI for it. As such, the commercial checkride also covers FOI and CFI type stuff.

I didn't pay for it. Was hired by a company to be a pilot and was trained for it by them. Yes, I can teach in the airship, because there is no CFI for it. As such, the commercial checkride also covers FOI and CFI type stuff.

If you don't mind me asking out of sheer curiosity, what one thing, in your opinion, convinced the company to hire you over others for the gig? (Simce t wasn't the logbook, obviously, in such a specialized role...)

If you don't mind me asking out of sheer curiosity, what one thing, in your opinion, convinced the company to hire you over others for the gig? (Simce t wasn't the logbook, obviously, in such a specialized role...)

Willingness to travel and willingness to make a long term commitment thru a training contract, IMO. If I could go back and do it over again, I'm not sure that I would.

That's a very common thread. Thanks for sharing.

No doubt. I would say it's very hard to explain to a fresh out of college kid how rough living in hotels for 320+ days a year is. 16 months in and hotels are starting to really get to me.

Back