blacksmithing as a hobby ?

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Alright all you maniacs, I'm interested in a new hobby. Since I have pretty much realized my aviation career goals I am starting to think about branching out my interests. Anybody know anything about heating up metal and hitting it with a hammer? How do I start? Should I just call around to blacksmiths amd ask if I can get all up in their forge ? I have always been intrigued by working hot metal with a hammer and anvil.

Don't know much about it other than a flying buddy of mine recently took up metal forging. He's having a lot of fun with it and has cast some cool looking thingamabobs.

I can bend metal without heat, but that is more of a super power. Paper clips and coat hangers count, right? That is where most of my experience lies. I have done some great stuff with coat hangers.

There are some schools and such that you could visit / attend. Don't know much about out west, but check out the John C. Campbell school in W. NC; there have got to be others scattered around the country.

Here it is: https://classes.folkschool.org/Browse.aspx

Have fun, and when you get good, make me an airplane knife. :yes:

I live in an apartment in the hood or else making a shop would he the hobby itself. I need to find someone with a shop and some time to show me the basics.

You been watching that show on TV where they compete making swords from scratch?

I'm taking up knife making as we speak. But I won't be forging, I'll be using the stock removal method. I will be heat treating in a "two firebrick" forge, though. But I don't think that'll suffice for full forging. It just works off of a propane torch and is simply used to reach proper temps for heat treating.

You been watching that show on TV where they compete making swords from scratch?

I would like to say yes but I don't have cable or a television for that matter. Thats why I need a hobby.

I would like to say yes but I don't have cable or a television for that matter. Thats why I need a hobby.

Check with your local community college see if they have a course that a smithy is teaching from their own shop.

Could come in handy after the SHTF...

Look up "The pope of welding" it's a guy named Jesse James. He is an amazing blacksmith I would try to contact him and setup a couple week internship. Gonna take bags of money guaranteed.

I live in an apartment in the hood or else making a shop would he the hobby itself. I need to find someone with a shop and some time to show me the basics.

Oh, set up an induction forge and an anvil on your deck and give your neighbors an opportunity to enjoy the hobby with you :D

Look up "The pope of welding" it's a guy named Jesse James. He is an amazing blacksmith I would try to contact him and setup a couple week internship. Gonna take bags of money guaranteed.

While Jesse James is indeed one of the best metal workers out there, I seriously doubt youre just going to call him up and set up an internship. If you somehow did tho, you would get a hell of an education.

While Jesse James is indeed one of the best metal workers out there, I seriously doubt youre just going to call him up and set up an internship. If you somehow did tho, you would get a hell of an education.

That's where the bags of money comes in hahaha. As far as modern day metal workers go he is at the top. He makes stuff by hand that looks like it came off CNC machines.

It's pretty cool stuff if you are so inclined. About 3 years ago I met a guy who invited me over to his house to "take a lesson" and create something with his backyard forge. I did and it was fun.

The best part for me was when he pulled out a railroad spike and said it was one of his favorite sources for stock to make things like \ peanut butter stirrers and coat hooks. Turns out those spikes were identical the ones I used to help produce at J&L's spike mill in Pgh PA back in the mid-70s. Full circle

Lots of fun banging on hot metal to create various things. However I do prefer homebuilding to home forging.

Back