"Bizjet" perceptions

I've heard it from many first-time passengers whose alternative is usually airlines, not driving. However, most of these people are not paying the bill personally. They are traveling on their company's or their friend's dime. I wonder how many would be able to justify the expense if they were shelling out for it themselves.

When you add pay, meals, Hotel, Taxi (from major airport) for 3 days as compared to what is a same day trip by air. The economics start to work out much better, especially if you sending 3 people on the trip.

Brian

Guess it's a good thing I'm only the pilot and not the bean counter. :)

To some people...

Funny you should post this now. I just found out my airline flight was canceled. I had a choice of going on another airline an hour late or sticking with the same airline, going 6 hours late, and getting a $150 voucher. I chose the voucher. It's not like I need the $150 but I can kill time here at the airport as well as I can kill time at home. After all, I have POA! :)

Don't get me wrong. I can understand why some people feel the need to be there now, depending on the situation. If I was going to miss work or something I would've taken the earlier flight. I also know how easy business jet travel can be, especially for the passengers and I know many people can justify the expense, not just businesspeople. But I'm pretty cheap, especially when it comes to my own convenience. I've never been able to justify buying an airplane for travel. If I had one, it would just be a toy.

I generally plan on delays from the airlines, especially when going through Chicago and I'm rarely disappointed. Some things, like setting up a booth at a trade show, will not tolerate delay- you are set up before the show starts or you wasted the money for the booth. I've had flights canceled & been rebooked on the next flight...the next day.

At some levels of a company and in some industries, too much money is wasted if certain people get stuck at airports. The corporate aircraft removes some of the uncertainty for these people (WX will always delay people).

In my industry corporate aircraft aren't usually cost effective unless a group is going between the same two places. Other industries- a very different story.

To some people...

Funny you should post this now. I just found out my airline flight was canceled. I had a choice of going on another airline an hour late or sticking with the same airline, going 6 hours late, and getting a $150 voucher. I chose the voucher. It's not like I need the $150 but I can kill time here at the airport as well as I can kill time at home. After all, I have POA! :)

But what if that six hour delay or even the one hour delay cost you a million $$$ contract?

But what if that six hour delay or even the one hour delay cost you a million $$$ contract?
That's why I said it was a personal decision. I'm not in business and I have no million dollar contracts coming up. Besides, just because you are flying on a business jet does not mean that there won't ever be any delays. People just put forth a bigger effort to help minimize them.

No company operates a flight department or charters a jet unless they believe it to be a worthwhile expense. We can argue about the judgment of the folks making these decisions all day long.

With the way things have been going, that would likely be a very one-sided conversation!:D

There should have been one regarding the Obama and congressional swipes at corporate aviation after the "White House" sent a jet to pick up an Ohio congressman then returned him in time for his mother's funeral... to vote on the stimulus bill.

Run with it, Dogbert! :)

Send in that suggestion to Scott Adams!

Back