Birthday fly-in/cook out at the farm

Okay, Leslie and I will be there! We'll be coming in the T182 Saturday evening. (That's the one we took to Wings last year.)

I have my plane scheduled for annual on Friday. It might be done Sunday, but maybe not. I have some new parts to put on, and my A&P is wanting to do the cable tension test which I haven't done before.

All this is leading to, I might not make it. I have to be in TN on Monday, but I may not get out until Monday morning. I'll still try.

When do the festivities commence?
We're hanging out flying and stuff all afternoon. Hamburgers/brats should be done by 5:00, but we (meaning Tom :D ) will cook them sooner for anyone who needs to leave earlier. Hot air balloon tether or launch will be dependent on weather. Hopefully lots of flying around all day. I'll open up the aerobatic box over the farm for all day.

I have my plane scheduled for annual on Friday. It might be done Sunday, but maybe not. I have some new parts to put on, and my A&P is wanting to do the cable tension test which I haven't done before.

All this is leading to, I might not make it. I have to be in TN on Monday, but I may not get out until Monday morning. I'll still try.
Hope you can make it. :)

Oh come on!!!! Pah 800 nm isn't that far....

Right, you guys are expecting me to fly the whole way! :no:

Oh wait, I would fly the whole way and not thing twice about it... :yes: :yes: :yes:

After all, my log book from last weekend does log 10.1 hours with 1.0 actual for a 5 landing, ~950 nm XC. Does that count for my Comm XC? :D

All we have to do is get Ted to ditch his Family and we can all fly down in the Archer!

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen, as much as I would like it to. See, my uncle's birthday falls right around the same time as Diana's, and so they use that as a reason for planning our summer reunion.

Diana, I'm sorry I won't make it (and therefore that Missa won't make it), but I hope to see you at 6Y9! :yes:

We'll bring the wine!

I'll be bringing it to 6Y9! :cheerswine:

Did you have your Mom with you? If so, then no! :(

Yep, mom was in right seat for part of the way. Oh well. I'm sure a trip will come up that will qualify, with the way that I fly. :)

EDIT: Ahh, here we go. It needs to be at least 300 nm, with at least one 250 nm leg, and a total of three points. Easy. When I fly down to Virginia next Friday for the family reunion, it's about 350 nm. All I need to do is make sure I have a 250 nm leg, and then pick two additional airports to land at. :)

Last edited:
Yep, mom was in right seat for part of the way. Oh well. I'm sure a trip will come up that will qualify, with the way that I fly. :)

EDIT: Ahh, here we go. It needs to be at least 300 nm, with at least one 250 nm leg, and a total of three points. Easy. When I fly down to Virginia next Friday for the family reunion, it's about 350 nm. All I need to do is make sure I have a 250 nm leg, and then pick two additional airports to land at. :)
I thought that your mom was in the plane for the entire trip. If she was there for only part of it, see if what remains qualifies for the Comm XC.

have a good party diana, im highly doubtful that i can make it :(

We're hanging out flying and stuff all afternoon. Hamburgers/brats should be done by 5:00, but we (meaning Tom :D ) will cook them sooner for anyone who needs to leave earlier. Hot air balloon tether or launch will be dependent on weather. Hopefully lots of flying around all day. I'll open up the aerobatic box over the farm for all day.
We'll probably need to bug out earlier, because we both have school the next day.:D I'd be happy to help you with your little "problem", and I'm sure Leslie will be willing to assist too!

I'm going to try to get a few airports in for the ConUS Challenge while we're down there, as well as add KS and OK to my map! Not sure if Leslie's current in the turbo airplanes, so I might wind up being PIC for the entire trip. We'll have to see. If the weather is looking questionable en route I'll probably have the GPS updated and file. If weather is bad, is Joplin a reasonable alternate?

Hi Diana,

They say patience is a virtue. At least I've head that phrase before. My CFII finally escaped the rioting in VZ, he said we should schedule a ride tomorrow, which could get the ride in before Sunday, but I doubt it:(:( Well see, but I might have to continue exercising that P word to get this ride in, and finally meet you......

Have a great evening,

Purdue

PS-Grant, did you get my PM?

and sorry for the above spelling, i'm tired

Hi Diana,

They say patience is a virtue. At least I've head that phrase before. My CFII finally escaped the rioting in VZ, he said we should schedule a ride tomorrow, which could get the ride in before Sunday, but I doubt it:(:( Well see, but I might have to continue exercising that P word to get this ride in, and finally meet you......

Have a great evening,

Purdue

PS-Grant, did you get my PM?

and sorry for the above spelling, i'm tired
:fcross: for a ride soon!

Got the PM. Was it Dave Bear or someone else?

Well, dang it. :(

I still need that Flight Review, too. ;) Maybe Tom will give it to me in the next few days.

ah shoot. OK Im going to try my darndest to get down there.

ah shoot. OK Im going to try my darndest to get down there.
Tony, I hope you can come. :yes:

I finally got my Flight Review yesterday afternoon. Did it from the back seat which made it more challenging. My "Dutch Rolls" from back there were incredibly ugly. :redface: Everything else worked out OK. Oh, except when my shoe got lodged in the rudder pedal and got stuck when I was turning around to take off again. Never had that happen before. :dunno: And we are still happily married after yesterday. ;)

If I make it--it'll be via motorcycle (cheaper). Sunday makes it tough--since I have to be back on Monday. Maybe I could get there on Saturday evening and camp. I discovered last weekend that I can strap quite a bit of stuff on my bike (tent, air mattress, blanket, pillows, clothes, laptop, other electrionic gizmos):
bandit_tent.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I could be there! Does your balloon pick up from Long Island?

If I make it--it'll be via motorcycle (cheaper). Sunday makes it tough--since I have to be back on Monday. Maybe I could get there on Saturday evening and camp. I discovered last weekend that I can strap quite a bit of stuff on my bike (tent, air mattress, blanket, pillows, clothes, laptop, other electrionic gizmos):

Geez! That takes roof rack packing to a whole other level! :hairraise:

Sorry that Missa and I are going to miss your weekend, Diana, but I've got the family reunion and she's going to the beach with Shane. Hopefully we'll make it to the farm before long! After all, I need another 100 hours to get that Commercial... :yes:

Jesse, there is a sofa bed in the hangar apartment. The apartment has already been reserved for you for Saturday if you want it. Plus we also have a sofa bed at the house. :) You're more than welcome to camp outside if you want though. :)

That sounds like a tiring drive. I'll probably schedule the next fly-in on Saturday to make it easier for people from out of town.

Wish I could be there! Does your balloon pick up from Long Island?
Good morning Toby. :) I wish you could be here too! :yes:

I think the balloon would pick you up, but you might end up in France instead of here. :D

Sorry that Missa and I are going to miss your weekend, Diana, but I've got the family reunion and she's going to the beach with Shane. Hopefully we'll make it to the farm before long! After all, I need another 100 hours to get that Commercial... :yes:
Ted I wish you guys could come too. :yes: You have an open invitation whenever you're in the area.

I wish you a very happy birthday and I'm sorry I'll miss the bash. Have a blast! :yes: :cheerswine: :yes: :cheerswine: :yes:

Ted I wish you guys could come too. :yes: You have an open invitation whenever you're in the area.

Now you've gone and done it! I'll end up taking you up on that! :yes: :D

bandit_tent.jpg

WOW! That's impressive! So what's the critical speed at which the drag on the tail causes your front tire to come off the ground. ;)

WOW! That's impressive! So what's the critical speed at which the drag on the tail causes your front tire to come off the ground. ;)
Well, the added weight does that pretty easily at about any speed if you're not careful with the throttle. Even without any luggage the bike will wheelie if you snap your wrist at about 20 mph. It will hold it up there as long as you dare.

I'm not sure how fast I could go before either the bike maxed out or all that luggage ripped off. I think somewhere around 105 mph was the max I dared.

The main problem though is that the CG is heightened significantly so it is somewhat "tippy".

Ugh. My Surgeon is on call that weekend. Sigh. Can't do call from Twin Oaks.

I wish you a very happy birthday and I'm sorry I'll miss the bash. Have a blast! :yes: :cheerswine: :yes: :cheerswine: :yes:
Thanks Gil. :) In light of recent events I haven't been in the mood to celebrate and have a party. But, then again, it will be nice to be with friends. Sorry you won't be here.

Ahhhh...no wonder Tom couldn't fly to Lawrence with me!

B) ;)
:redface: :D He worked me pretty hard. :yes:

If people come on Saturday we were thinking of fixing ribs. Or having a fish fry if anyone catches any. The fish are biting! We caught enough bass for a meal the other day. And a few got away, too. :yes: Big ones! :D

Have a happy Birthday, mine is the 24th. I just realized how close your farm is to PLK. I fly in there al ot with one of our King Air customers. I will have to listen for you on 122.9 from now on.

I plan to be there. I'll either come up on the motorcycle or in the Husky. Looking forward to it!!!!

I plan to be there. I'll either come up on the motorcycle or in the Husky. Looking forward to it!!!!
We are really glad that you are coming "irregardless" of the mode. :D

I told Bill Lynch that you might fly the Husky up and he got all excited. He has been shopping for one since he lost his airplane to the tornado. He's looking forward to talking with you about it. If he isn't too busy flying his balloon...several people have said they were interested in a balloon ride.

Have a happy Birthday, mine is the 24th. I just realized how close your farm is to PLK. I fly in there al ot with one of our King Air customers. I will have to listen for you on 122.9 from now on.
Wow, yet another Virgo! :cheerswine: Fly on over this way sometime.

Back