Birthday fly-in/cook out at the farm - 2010

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
So, I was asking Tom what he wanted to do for fun this summer and he said he wanted to have another fly-in/cook-out for my birthday...he said that was the most fun thing he did last summer and he wants to do it again. That man is a glutton for punishment!!! :D

One thing that Tom and I both enjoy about this fly-in is that our pilot friends are so eager to give rides to other people. I certainly appreciated those pilots who did that, especially those who gave rides in my Citabria for me when I was busy (thanks Tony and Bruce!). We also appreciated those people that helped us in other ways, cooking, cleaning, filming, etc. :)

So, it is tentatively planned for Saturday, August 21st. Pot luck/bring a dish to pass. RSVP please, please, please. No cards and no presents. :) I put in a request for another beautiful day like last year. We'll have soybeans surrounding the runways instead of corn this year. It won't be as unique with the soybeans, but we'll be able to see both runways better, so it will be safer. Plus we will be better able to grade your landings. :D

I'll check with Bill to see if he is available for a hot air balloon ride if anyone wants to purchase one. It's cheaper if we provide the chase crew and we seem to have lots of people who want to do that in ground vehicles, and in airplanes. :D

Re: Birthday fly-in/cook out at the farm

Painted toenail contest? Hmmm?

I was there two years ago, lots of fun, missed it last year...I'm planning on being there this year. It'll either be on airplane or motorcycle.

Painted toenail contest? Hmmm?
Will you be entering the contest? :smilewinkgrin:

I was there two years ago, lots of fun, missed it last year...I'm planning on being there this year. It'll either be on airplane or motorcycle.
We hope you come! :yes: We'll have new remote airplanes this year. I totalled the one you flew last time. :D Plus a stomp rocket (that's more my speed :D). :)

I'm putting it on my calendar right now. We'll make this our August fly-out for our KC Missouri Pilots Chapter. Sounds like fun.

I should be in town around that time, I will talk to Grandpa about making the long journey to Twin Oaks and we will definitely try to make it.

Diana,

I was just thinking about this today as I was DRIVING back to Cleveland. It's on my calendar and I'll be there if I'm anywhere withing 250nm!

I should be in town around that time, I will talk to Grandpa about making the long journey to Twin Oaks and we will definitely try to make it.
Rudy, I hope you guys can make it! :yes:

Diana,

I was just thinking about this today as I was DRIVING back to Cleveland. It's on my calendar and I'll be there if I'm anywhere withing 250nm!
What are you doing driving? ;)

I know you were going to try to come last year...maybe this year your schedule will allow you to join us this time. :)

I may be there for the party. I have a conflict in that my mother's birthday is 8/21 but she doesn't usually need to celebrate on the actual date. If I plan my trip to arrive a day or two after she'll probably be happy.

Joe

Can this be split off into a new thread?
Sure! Oh, wait, I don't know how to split threads. :D Oh, wait, you do. Can you split it with my first post the other day about this year's fly-in? Thanks. :)

Yeah, I could, if only I knew how.:blush: I will figure it out if someone doesn't do it before I get to it.

Diana,

Have fun again this year. Looks like we'll be just getting over all the "back-to-college" travel and chores right about then so I'll have to just send my regards.

Matthew

Humm, now this is the one fly-in that I really want to go to... maybe at the expense of all the others... wonder how to swing it... and the likely hood of making it from PA in August VFR only...

In lat August it shouldn't be difficult at all. Indeed, no better time of year to attempt such a flight.

Can't believe I missed this (renewed) thread until now! I think Rebecca and I may make it over but we'll have to wait until closer to the date to know for sure.

Your birthday party and Gaston's in the fall were two of our favorite things we did last year. They both had a couple of things in common. :D

I may be there for the party. I have a conflict in that my mother's birthday is 8/21 but she doesn't usually need to celebrate on the actual date. If I plan my trip to arrive a day or two after she'll probably be happy.

Joe
It's not always easy keeping all the women happy, but I have faith in you that you can pull it off. :D

Yeah, I could, if only I knew how.:blush: I will figure it out if someone doesn't do it before I get to it.
Okie dokes. :D

Diana,

Have fun again this year. Looks like we'll be just getting over all the "back-to-college" travel and chores right about then so I'll have to just send my regards.

Matthew
Sorry you can't make it, but we understand. Several people couldn't make it last year because they were getting their kids settled in at school.

Humm, now this is the one fly-in that I really want to go to... maybe at the expense of all the others... wonder how to swing it... and the likely hood of making it from PA in August VFR only...

In lat August it shouldn't be difficult at all. Indeed, no better time of year to attempt such a flight.

It would be neat if you guys could make it. :yes: Seems like a fairly stable time of year, weather-wise in our part of the country. Sometimes it's almost too hot for comfort that time of year, but last year we had unusually mild weather for the fly-in.

Can't believe I missed this (renewed) thread until now! I think Rebecca and I may make it over but we'll have to wait until closer to the date to know for sure.

Your birthday party and Gaston's in the fall were two of our favorite things we did last year. They both had a couple of things in common. :D
Grass? :D Making movies? :D :D

I'd love to attend. Anyone here want to fly from Europe? (half serious) :)

South Carolina airport, church at odds over tree removal
St. James Baptist Church and the Hilton Head Island Airport are fighting over the fate of two large oak trees in Hilton Head Island, S.C. The airport would like to trim the trees for runway safety, but the church has filed several objections. The Federal Aviation Administration gave the county a $3 million grant to remove trees from large areas around the airport. The Island Packet (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) (4/26)
I got this today in a email from the AOPA I think we should have a fly in church service here and show support for the removal of these trees. I called the church but got a answering machine. Their phone number is 1-843-681-6446 call and show your support. There was an accident involving a tree at the end of a runway here a few years ago. Any way I wanted to share this.

That last post is definitely in the wrong place but it is rather funny that the airport for the Birthday flyin is named Twin Oaks... :yesnod:

South Carolina airport, church at odds over tree removal
St. James Baptist Church and the Hilton Head Island Airport are fighting over the fate of two large oak trees in Hilton Head Island, S.C. The airport would like to trim the trees for runway safety, but the church has filed several objections. The Federal Aviation Administration gave the county a $3 million grant to remove trees from large areas around the airport. The Island Packet (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) (4/26)
I got this today in a email from the AOPA I think we should have a fly in church service here and show support for the removal of these trees. I called the church but got a answering machine. Their phone number is 1-843-681-6446 call and show your support. There was an accident involving a tree at the end of a runway here a few years ago. Any way I wanted to share this.

Well, thanks! :) Does this mean you will be coming to Twin Oaks? BTW, we won't be cutting down our trees...people just need to make a little dog-leg around them at the last second. :)

That last post is definitely in the wrong place but it is rather funny that the airport for the Birthday flyin is named Twin Oaks... :yesnod:
:D :D :D

Well, thanks! :) Does this mean you will be coming to Twin Oaks? BTW, we won't be cutting down our trees...people just need to make a little dog-leg around them at the last second. :)

:D :D :D

Gaston's is good practice for that!

Oh, I don't know about that...Diana's fly-ins are definitely a religious experience.

Oh, I don't know about that...Diana's fly-ins are definitely a religious experience.
Well, at least we have fun. :)

Attachments

• Tim at Birthday fly in 2008 edited (924 x 702).jpg
    Tim at Birthday fly in 2008 edited (924 x 702).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 64
I'll definitely try and be there...I start school that Monday so I figure if nothing else, I can bring a sleeping bag and drive down...It's on the calendar:)

I think we may try to get down there again this year. Since I won't be able to get my "Diana Fix" at Gaston's, this should work well :)

As no one has been as crass to ask...

This would be WHAT BIRTHDAY???

Chris

(sittin' safely behind a computer screen in another State...):yikes:

P.S.
Someone once told me: "You're not getting Older; You're getting Better"!.

Damn I must be good..:aureola:

As no one has been as crass to ask...

This would be WHAT BIRTHDAY???

Chris

(sittin' safely behind a computer screen in another State...):yikes:

P.S.
Someone once told me: "You're not getting Older; You're getting Better"!.

Damn I must be good..:aureola:
It's an anniversary of her 39th birthday. That's all you need to know. And she's one of the youngest 39-year old's I know (aside from Leslie, of course!):D

It's an anniversary of her 39th birthday. That's all you need to know. And she's one of the youngest 39-year old's I know (aside from Leslie, of course!):D

"What's the big celebration about?"

"She said it's her birthday."

"Did she say how old she is?"

"She said she's approaching 40."

Silence.

"Did she say from which direction?"

Awww, aren't you sweet! :blowingkisses:

"What's the big celebration about?"

"She said it's her birthday."

"Did she say how old she is?"

"She said she's approaching 40."

Silence.

"Did she say from which direction?"
:D

Well, I know that you're sweet too, even though it doesn't always show. :D

Hi Diana,
I had the pleasure of meeting you and Tom at one of the FAAST seminars in Joplin, but I've never been to Twin Oaks. I did enjoy the pictures I saw of last year's birthday celebration there, and would like to attend this year. Think that would be ok?
Rod

Hi Diana,
I had the pleasure of meeting you and Tom at one of the FAAST seminars in Joplin, but I've never been to Twin Oaks. I did enjoy the pictures I saw of last year's birthday celebration there, and would like to attend this year. Think that would be ok?
Rod
Hi Rod. :) Sure! We'd love to have you. :) I'll post updates here from time to time.

Hi Diana,
Rod

Hello Rod,

If you are bringing a yellow Stearman and giving rides, I want to be there also, with Diana's permission, of course.

Rick

So has Jesse taken up wing walking?:thumbsup:

Joe
Joe, we're glad you and Viveca will definitely make it to the fly-in. :yes: Kim is looking forward to meeting you. :) And Tom and I are looking forward to spending time with you guys.

Bill Lynch is planning to launch the hot air balloon again this year....he will be giving my brother and his friend a ride. We might need a few volunteers to help as the chase crew.

Marc Popejoy is bringing (and grilling) brats again this year. Yummmmmm.

I won't be making it again to the farm this summer. I sure did enjoy my visit in June, but Oregon is a long cross country from Jasper, MO. I hate to miss the good time you will all have, but I can't make it again....

I won't be making it again to the farm this summer. I sure did enjoy my visit in June, but Oregon is a long cross country from Jasper, MO. I hate to miss the good time you will all have, but I can't make it again....
Bob, we're sorry you can't make it back. Kim and Barb will be here and I'm sure they wish you could make it, too.

So far, the people from the Blue Board that said they are coming for sure are:

Kim Pardon
Jesse
Marc and Shari Popejoy
Dean and Kelly Davis
Joe and Viveca Areeda
Wayne and Rebecca Pierce
Malcolm (he doesn't post here, but he reads)
Rod
Brent (maybe)
Mitchell Stafford
Rudy and Jim Belew
All the other people who are coming. :D

Did I forget anyone?

So, I was asking Tom what he wanted to do for fun this summer and he said he wanted to have another fly-in/cook-out for my birthday...he said that was the most fun thing he did last summer and he wants to do it again. That man is a glutton for punishment!!!

When Is this ?

Where are you, WE will be en route during most of Aug west to east in the coach. Leaving Yellowstone the second week of Aug.

Back