Birthday Flight

Mrs. SixPapaCharlie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Eren
I have always loved biplanes, though mainly for how they look. I've asked 6PC to get me a ride in his CFI's Steerman, but since that clearly got repo'ed ;), he did the next best thing.

For my birthday, he got me an aerobatic ride in a Great Lakes! It was incredible! First time doing aerobatics, first time in an open cockpit, and I loved it way more than I thought I would.

I was pretty nervous as the pilot was strapping me in, mostly because I could tell that if I needed to use my parachute, we would need to be about 20,000 feet up to give me time enough to unhook everything to get out of the plane to deploy it. I was sitting in there, taking deep breaths, thinking, "What am I doing? This is way more Bryan's thing than mine."

As soon as we were airborne though (which took about .2 seconds and used probably about 12 feet of runway), all my fear went away, and I was just enthralled with feeling the wind and being able to see so much. Then I was thinking, "THIS must be the feeling Bryan gets with every flight." I do enjoy flying, but it hasn't ever really made me giddy until this flight. And then the fun really began!

We did loops, rolls, hammerhead stalls, and a few other maneuvers that I forget the name of. The pilot took me through his routine from an airshow last year. It was all SO fun. The hammerhead stall with the three spins after the drop was the only thing that I felt any fear on. He let me fly a little, but the stick was awkward for me, so I quickly let him take back over.

My only complaint was the ride was too damn short! I wanted to keep going. Here's the video with the highlights (I'm pretty short, so I'm hard to see, but you get the idea).

Happy Birthday! How absolutely fantastic. What a great gift. :)

Mr. 6PC is smarter than I thought! :)

Glad you've now drunk the Kool Aid, and are one of us. I enjoyed the video. :thumbsup:

You have been bitten by the acro bug,looks like you had a good time. Happy Birthdy good luck.

Glad you had a good time. If you had to use your chute, it's amazing how fast you'll get out, find the handle, pull and check your canopy. Amazed...

<edit: After watching a bit, next time you need your harness a LOT tighter. The pilot should have checked that before take off.>

Last edited:
Ha ha, that may have been one of the most expensive plane rides of your life.
Do I see lessons in the future?

:yes: I have had one lesson; my second is scheduled for next weekend. Still not fully committed to getting my PPL (mostly due to limited time and money), but am for sure going to take enough lessons so that I can get us down safely if something were to happen to 6PC while airborne.

Glad you had a good time. If you had to use your chute, it's amazing how fast you'll get out, find the handle, pull and check your canopy. Amazed...

<edit: After watching a bit, next time you need your harness a LOT tighter. The pilot should have checked that before take off.>

He did check my harness, and I felt very snug in there. He had me try to stand, and I could get up about an inch from the seat. He tightened my chest straps, but said he didn't want them digging into my shoulders. I could feel myself move when inverted, but not enough to make me feel close to like I was going to come loose. Not sure if that's the norm or not. :dunno:

Nice!

My first (and only) biplane ride was in a Great Lakes in SoCal a while ago (I was 12-14?) and the guy asked me if I liked computer games. I said yeah, then he dove on a guy mowing his lawn in the middle of a huge farmers field. I felt bad as the guy ditched off the mower and we went overhead. I had no idea how high we were or how fast we were going, but the whole time I was regretting that I wore shorts - it was COLD up there!

:yes: I have had one lesson; my second is scheduled for next weekend. Still not fully committed to getting my PPL (mostly due to limited time and money), but am for sure going to take enough lessons so that I can get us down safely if something were to happen to 6PC while airborne.

He did check my harness, and I felt very snug in there. He had me try to stand, and I could get up about an inch from the seat. He tightened my chest straps, but said he didn't want them digging into my shoulders. I could feel myself move when inverted, but not enough to make me feel close to like I was going to come loose. Not sure if that's the norm or not. :dunno:

Take a look at the 'pinch hitter' course for non-pilots. It's a very nice program. If you want to go further, plenty of resources in TX.

Your harness wasn't tight enough for zero G work. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Now there is a firm commitment. :no:

Ha! I know, I know. Next year is supposed to be The Year of Disney. I have a feeling taking the kids there is going to eat up just about all our travel budget for the year. That's the main thing we're planning on, and then, if we still have a few bucks left, we will try for some fly-ins. I promise!

Ha! I know, I know. Next year is supposed to be The Year of Disney. I have a feeling taking the kids there is going to eat up just about all our travel budget for the year. That's the main thing we're planning on, and then, if we still have a few bucks left, we will try for some fly-ins. I promise!

Good plan! Take them to Disney!

We always over plan.
2015 flying related plans include but are not limited to:

• PPL for Mrs 6PC
  • IFR for Mr 6PC
  • Gastons
  • Oshkosh
  • At least 4 flights to KSEP for Hard 8 BBQ
  • 2nd Annual family Fredricksburg flight
  • Meet Jay and Mary Honeck at Amelia's Landing
There's more I am sure but priority number 1 is Disney for the kids and if she really wants her PPL, that gets a pretty high priority.

(I'm pretty short, so I'm hard to see, but you get the idea).

Reminds me of this:
1348957673772417909929.jpeg

I have always loved biplanes, though mainly for how they look. I've asked 6PC to get me a ride in his CFI's Steerman, but since that clearly got repo'ed ;), he did the next best thing.

For my birthday, he got me an aerobatic ride in a Great Lakes! It was incredible! First time doing aerobatics, first time in an open cockpit, and I loved it way more than I thought I would.

I was pretty nervous as the pilot was strapping me in, mostly because I could tell that if I needed to use my parachute, we would need to be about 20,000 feet up to give me time enough to unhook everything to get out of the plane to deploy it. I was sitting in there, taking deep breaths, thinking, "What am I doing? This is way more Bryan's thing than mine."

As soon as we were airborne though (which took about .2 seconds and used probably about 12 feet of runway), all my fear went away, and I was just enthralled with feeling the wind and being able to see so much. Then I was thinking, "THIS must be the feeling Bryan gets with every flight." I do enjoy flying, but it hasn't ever really made me giddy until this flight. And then the fun really began!

We did loops, rolls, hammerhead stalls, and a few other maneuvers that I forget the name of. The pilot took me through his routine from an airshow last year. It was all SO fun. The hammerhead stall with the three spins after the drop was the only thing that I felt any fear on. He let me fly a little, but the stick was awkward for me, so I quickly let him take back over.

My only complaint was the ride was too damn short! I wanted to keep going. Here's the video with the highlights (I'm pretty short, so I'm hard to see, but you get the idea).

Now that is awesome..!!!!

Bryan,

You're doing the husband thing right!:yes:

Back