Birds diving or climbing

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Recently it seems I read something that said that there is now evidence that birds don't always dive when threatened by an airplane. IIRC, they climb if they're low and dive if they're high. That ring a bell with anyone? Where the heck did I see that?

I remember being below birds this year, praying they wouldn't dive and they didn't. They were less than 50' above.

It may be foolishly naive, but when I am flying low and around where there are (or I think there will be) a lot of birds, I will wear my sunglasses, under the theory that I am less likely to sustain blinding and diabling eye injury in the event of a bird through the 'shield.

The prospect does scare me plenty! Bird strike (on the wing) took out a 172, instructor and student at the place where I train a coupla years ago.

SCCutler said:
The prospect does scare me plenty! Bird strike (on the wing) took out a 172, instructor and student at the place where I train a coupla years ago.
Yeah, that Addison accident is what made me start thinking about this.

On the other hand, about 90% of bird strikes involve federally protected species. So let all those die off and the problem will be mostly solved.

I just had a bird strike with the living room window. Flying rat. :hairraise:

Man, that was loud.

wsuffa said:
Flying rat.

haha! thats exactly the term I use... as much as I am enamored and amazed by the fascinating little critters, why do they have to use my bbq, my benches, my railings, my car, my airplane as a %$#$^& bathroom?!?!

Let'sgoflying! said:
haha! thats exactly the term I use... as much as I am enamored and amazed by the fascinating little critters, why do they have to use my bbq, my benches, my railings, my car, my airplane as a %$#$^& bathroom?!?!
Because they can. Sky rats is what we call seagulls, what type are you referring to?

Richard said:
Because they can. Sky rats is what we call seagulls, what type are you referring to?

Pigeons, squab.

Doves and seagulls are also of the same class: scavengers.

SCCutler said:
It may be foolishly naive, but when I am flying low and around where there are (or I think there will be) a lot of birds, I will wear my sunglasses, under the theory that I am less likely to sustain blinding and diabling eye injury in the event of a bird through the 'shield.
It is highly likely that I would not have the use of one eye had I not been wearing glasses at the time of my bicycle incident.

During college, I was coasting down a steep hill when a car kicked up a rock and I watched it bounce directly into my eye. It knocked the lens out of the glasses frame and smooshed it into my eye. I lost control of the bike and ended up with road rash head to toe. My eye was a beautiful black and blue but no long term damage. The lens had a divot in it from the rock. That was back before shatterproof lenses were required, and I am very glad my parents insisted on the shatterproof option!

Now, would I have been blinded if I were not wearing glasses? Who can say. I think your theory is not foolishly naive.

-Skip

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
a lot of birds, I will wear my sunglasses, under the theory that I am less likely to sustain blinding and diabling eye injury

This has happened. In the late 70s I think. (From memory) young pilot in a 172, turkey buzzard through the perspex blinded him and he talked all the way to the ground.

Skip Miller said:
It is highly likely that I would not have the use of one eye had I not been wearing glasses at the time of my bicycle incident.

During college, I was coasting down a steep hill when a car kicked up a rock and I watched it bounce directly into my eye. It knocked the lens out of the glasses frame and smooshed it into my eye. I lost control of the bike and ended up with road rash head to toe. My eye was a beautiful black and blue but no long term damage. The lens had a divot in it from the rock. That was back before shatterproof lenses were required, and I am very glad my parents insisted on the shatterproof option!

Now, would I have been blinded if I were not wearing glasses? Who can say. I think your theory is not foolishly naieve.

-Skip
Wow, Skip. Sometimes it's the little things for which we should be most thankful.

Back