Bird strike yesterday

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
fortunately I was on the ground, driving home from the airport!

Stupid turkey buzzards were working over a deer carcass on the shoulder and as I drove by took flight... right in front of my truck! I clipped the inside bird with the A-pillar, just above my head. He spiraled into the opposite lane, flapping like mad. Sad that he had to suffer there, ugly as he was. His "wingman" turned away from the vehicle and survived. Perhaps the next truck got him as well.

One of these days, someone is going to smush one of the two dozen or so wild turkeys wandering around the neighborhood. And it's not going to be pretty, for the car, too. The stupid-a** tom likes to stand in the middle of the road and stare vehicles down.

You are lucky. Sometimes a buzzard will throw up to lighten the load for a better climb rate.

It is a smelly, nasty and foul substance.....

My most memorable bird strike, while deployed we were flying low-level and chased up a flock of pigeons. We hit a bird flying in our same direction of travel, he smacked into the wind screen... Upon impact, he exploded and shot "spaghetti" (read: intestines) all over the left seater's face and onto the circuit breaker panel between us. It took us 45 minutes to get back home with a bird sticking out of our wind screen like a Rolls Royce hood ornament.

Why am I thinking about thanksgiving?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My most memorable bird strike, while deployed we were flying low-level and chased up a flock of pigeons. We hit a bird flying in our same direction of travel, he smacked into the wind screen... Upon impact, he exploded and shot "spaghetti" (read: intestines) all over the left seater's face and onto the circuit breaker panel between us. It took us 45 minutes to get back home with a bird sticking out of our wind screen like a Rolls Royce hood ornament.

Interesting.....So, who got the bill?

I nailed a turkey vulture from a group munching on some road kill with a mini-van many years ago. He broke out the headlight, and dented the front quarter panel. Found out I was on a dead-end road (pun maybe intended) and had to turn around and pass by the scene of the crime again. I had taken out one of his wings, but he was standing in the middle of the road, one wing stretched out ready for flight, and one horribly broken, daring me to hit him again. If I'd had a gun, I'd have put him out of his misery. Was a horrible memory. I couldn't hit him again.

fortunately I was on the ground, driving home from the airport!

Stupid turkey buzzards were working over a deer carcass on the shoulder and as I drove by took flight... right in front of my truck! I clipped the inside bird with the A-pillar, just above my head. He spiraled into the opposite lane, flapping like mad. Sad that he had to suffer there, ugly as he was. His "wingman" turned away from the vehicle and survived. Perhaps the next truck got him as well.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago...except I was riding a motorcycle and the damn thing hit me square in the helmet at about 50mph. Almost knocked me off the bike and pulled muscles in my neck. I hoped I killed it.

A guy in my C-130 sqdn took one in the visor; had his head out the left paratroop door. They had slowed for the drop, and popped up, and he threw the door bundle out. Some kind of nasty, Central-American buzzard, carrion eating thingy came down the side of the fueselage, probably already partially blended by the prop, drilled him in the helmet as he stuck his head out. Had both his clear and tinted visors down, which was good for his face, though some blood (his) was spilled. . .I think they irrigated the scratches and gave him anti-biotics.

Back