Bird! (NA)

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
This one's gotten used to us- only flys off her nest if I come by with a lawn mower now. I was working just under her nest and she just glared at me- the picture shows how close we can come to her...I just took the picture & backed off.

At least she isn't in someone's cowling.

Attachments

• DSCN0392.JPG
    DSCN0392.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
Maybe barely aviation related...
I'm pretty sure it's a robin. She's been up there over a week- her eggs should hatch soon.

Maybe barely aviation related...
I'm pretty sure it's a robin. She's been up there over a week- her eggs should hatch soon.

That's it. She won't leave because there are babies in the nest.

I had the wren watching me in her nest right above the plane wing. What's amazing is how still they can be.

This one's gotten used to us- only flys off her nest if I come by with a lawn mower now. I was working just under her nest and she just glared at me- the picture shows how close we can come to her...I just took the picture & backed off.

At least she isn't in someone's cowling.
Unlike the active nest on the G-1000 206 at KLOM! :mad3::frown3::yikes: We walked by and heard all this chirping coming from under the cowling. SAD!

We cleaned a nest out of the cowling every Sat AM for 3 weeks straight. Each Sat the nest was smaller than the previous week. Never had a chance to lay eggs. Then they stopped coming back.

Spring is over, summer is here.. it's too hot for the baby birds now. The eggs just cook at 105F.

That's it. She won't leave because there are babies in the nest.

I had the wren watching me in her nest right above the plane wing. What's amazing is how still they can be.

She has nestlings now- I saw the parents feeding at least 3 of them today. Apparently Papa Robin helps with the feeding- one bird fed the babies and immediately another came to the nest to feed them. I wonder how they find all the worms?

I read that they should start flying in ~2 weeks.

Here's what the young look like (picture below).

I wonder when evolution is going to kick in on these birds-
  • If people don't seem to notice you nest, don't make a big racket that causes them to look around and see what's going on. We wouldn't have noticed the nest otherwise and left you alone.
  • If you make a nest on people's houses, don't s**t on their freshly washed cars.
I'm fairly certain if the birds made a nest on other property and did the items listed above, the eggs may not have hatched and they wouldn't have passed their genes on...

Attachments

• DSCN0394.JPG
    DSCN0394.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
I went to my brother's house this weekend for a family cookout. There is a dove sitting on a nest on the window sill out side of his kitchen window. The chicks are hatched, and mom isn't moving for anything! Kind of cool to stand there washing dishes just inches from her. She watches your every move.

Attachments

• doveonnest.jpg
    doveonnest.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 18
Lisa- that's neat. Doves tend to be fairly skittish. It's interesting for one to sit so close to people.

Well- the babies are flying. Their landings are....interesting. Seems like they interpret any horizontal line as a branch- so they try to land on window panes, shingle lines, shadows on a wall, etc. They fly into a window or wall with a slow speed, and flutter down or they get turned around than they fly into another wall. their rate of climb is anemic and they still have directional control issues with their stubby tails. Must be hard to learn to fly- developing muscles, feathers still growing on the wings and tail.

Back